Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Canadians on this site are sharp folks.

Two country's, much alike, but still very different.

What do you think?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
From what I can tell, Canadians still trust their government.

That's pretty much over in America,...with good cause.

It will be over with in Canada pretty soon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm of the generation that grew up watching Mickey Mouse Club in the afternoon. We lived on a south facing hillside and with a tall antennae we were able to pick up Seattle TV stations . We all listened to Rock and Roll., watched the same TV shows. I thought there should be very little difference. It was as shock when we were old enough to drive and crossed the border.. The girl I was talking up , unsuccessfully I might add, had an accent . We were only a few miles across the line.. Later I had an American girl friend , there was quite a difference, American girls were a lot faster. I had to be very careful what I said otherwise I could have ended up married .I'm no authority on women, so this is only a guess.,, Canadian girls were thinking it, American girls were saying it. It was another ten years before I would even think about settling down.

As politics have diverged, it has spurned a great deal of study. .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I went to Canada 4 times in my life. Once in 1976 and went to Niagra Falls. Canada was nice and we crossed the river into Buffalo, I was shocked how filthy Buffalo was. The next time was my honeymoon in July 1987. We went to Sault Ste. Marie. I really liked that town. The people were nice, the town was clean. I even asked the waitress if State people came up here to live. She looked at me with a firm NO. The next time we went for our 30th Anniversary to the same town, Sault Ste. Marie. The Michigan side was real nice, but the Canadian side was dirty, run down and very poor looking compared to when we went in 1987. I was really dissapointed how bad that town had gotten. In 1998 I went to Quetico Park. It was a super canoe trip into the wilderness and much better than the Boundary Waters ( Minnesota side.).. The fishing was good and the place was beautiful.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
one kicked the red coats and the other ones are still paying for a queen without knowing what is the purpose ...

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There are probably not too many Yankees on here that have lived in (or otherwise spent substantial time in) Canada for long enough periods of time to actually form a worthwhile opinion. Nonetheless, I expect a lot of strong opinions. USA is definitely #1 in thinking that we are #1.

As for myself, I strongly contemplated changing teams from the Yankees to the Canucks when the conman cheetoh got elected. Turns out it is fairly challenging and expensive, and you guys have both a higher cost of living and lower pay for Registered Nurses. That did not appear to be the case outside of BC/Alberta, but I wasn't too interested in signing up to freeze my ass off half the year to live in a boring place.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I don't know anyone who trusts this Government, but I live in a far away land that has little say with the voting populace of Canada.
We hate Trudeau, and he hates us.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Trust our country? You gotta be kidding. Trudeau has had three ethics accusations -- stealing and lying.

I have relatives on both sides of the 49th parallel. Some of them give Americans a bad name -- others give Canadians a bad name -- maybe I am one of the latter.

I love my country ---- it's my government that leaves me chilly.

I would like to see the gun laws up here loosened up a bit.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I was born in north Idaho and raised in Idaho, Wyoming, British Columbia , and Alberta. I graduated from high school in Idaho. I served in the US Army. I have an American son and a Canadian daughter. The son lives in Alberta and the daughter lives in Florida. I have brothers on both sides of the line and extended family all over the west. I have lived and worked in Alabama, Idaho, Washington, British Columbia (north and south)and Alberta. I have more experience than most regarding conditions, as they affect the average working class people, on both sides of the line, than most people because I have lived there.
When we first moved to Northern B.C., in 1957, the societal differences were marked. Taylor, British Columbia was very much British and Scottish influenced. Especially when compared to Worland, Wyoming and Potlatch, Idaho, from whence we had come. It occurred to me, years later, that we were playing a large part in the Americanization of that part of the country. Keep in mind, a great deal of the difference in the two places was a result of the relative remoteness of the Peace River country as compared to even North Idaho, which was certainly anything but progressive! There was no television, limited radio and the effects of the American invasion had yet to be felt. In essence, by moving north 1000 miles, we had also moved back in time by about twenty years. So, there was a significant societal difference between those portions of the two countries where I had some life experience. Over the next four years, we moved back and forth between the two cultures and, even as a kid, the differences were easy to see. Keep in mind, this was at a time when western Canadians still embraced their relationship with the British Isles and lived under the red Ensign flag. This was before Canadians, pressured by Quebec and the eastern urbanites, decided to refute Britain. They cast aside their identity and it should have come as no surprise, with the improved modern communication media, that the void was filled, to a considerable extent, by American culture.
To return to the subject at hand, we saw, first hand, the teaching of patriotism in the US compared to the relatively detached observance in Canada. We travelled the length of the Alaska highway, in 1959 and, again, the difference at the border seemed to be less of a difference in politics than a difference in time. America was aggressively advancing, economically and socially, while out part of Canada was just living and living in the past at that. Not a bad thing, really.
A move to Calgary, Alberta put the shoe on the other foot. Now, we were living in a comparatively cosmopolitan environment while our family members in North Idaho were in the social backwater. There were other forces in play, of course. The difference between a new, constantly evolving, oil, gas, and petrochemical industry in which my Dad was involved and the timber industry and farming background of the Idaho branch. During the next several years, I lived with one foot in each country. I attended school in Idaho and Alberta. I worked in both places. Finally, I settled in Idaho and stayed there. I got drafted, I had my life put on hold, to a large extent, for a couple of years, then picked up where I had left off, in Idaho. By this time, there was much less apparent difference in the two countries, at least in those portions of the two countries with which I was familiar, than there had been in the past. Of course, the Vietnam war experience with the resultant divisiveness in the US had a great effect and in some ways, it may have been the first time that Canadians began to take an active interest in American politics and, perhaps, began to be more aware of the influence happenings in the US had on Canadian life. In many ways, the two countries began to converge and amalgamate. At the same time, there was a marked divergence in philosophy and ideology between the two countries. In the US, most of the money, by far was spent on defense and in the support of the military/industrial complex. In Canada, much more was spent on social services and support. In Canada, building and supporting medical care for everyone was seen as a big deal. In the US, medical care was something of an inconvenience, as far as the government was concerned, and any medical care was strictly profit driven. To the working man, on either side of the border, the difference was not all that great, as long as he didn't get sick or hurt! Wages were similar, taxes, at least income taxes, were slightly higher in Canada and the application of import duties and taxes made the cost of goods a bit higher. Americans were a bit more restricted when it came the purchase of rifles while Canadians were way more restricted when it came to the purchase and use of handguns. They drove the same cars. They listened to the same music. The watched the same movies and a lot of the same TV programs. Attempts by some Canadians politicians to try and stem the tide of American influence, mostly failed.
Over the last forty years, while the two cultures may have diverged somewhat, they have changed more from themselves than they have from each other. A thirty-year old office worker in Denver has a lot more in common with a thirty-year old office worker in Calgary than he does with a rancher in Lamar. Just as his Calgary counterpart has little in common with the rancher in Pincher Creek. I will always feel a strong affinity for the lumberman in North Idaho and an antipathy for the lawyer in Toronto.
It is my belief the the international boundary does not mark a separation of culture. Cultural differences are international. They are economic, they are social, they are racial. Both countries are seeing their identities fractured and divided and neither country is on a good path. With each passing year, the concept of dying becomes less and less intimidating. Give it a few more years and it will be welcome! Someone with a different background or some education will indoubtedly see things differently than I. GD

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well said greydog. I have spent a lot of time in Canada over the decades, although not nearly as much as you, and count some of my best friends as Canadian. The only thing I would add to your comments is what some of my Canadian friends have said to me, and that is - Canada could not have its wide ranging social services without the US, the reason being is that Canada knows that if it is threatened the US will not allow any country to try to dominate it. Not having to spend a huge percentage of their GNP on defense allows them the luxury of having their social programs.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
My history is much like Greydogs. I was born in California, and grew up in the Peace country of northern BC. Did a stint in the US military, logged in BC, Alberta, and Colorado. Worked as a mechanic for a time in MO before getting married and moving back to BC, then in the 80s to the Yukon. Still have lots of family/friends in the US. I agree with GD for the most part. Like the US, eastern Canadians are different than westerners. Ive spent some time in the eastern US and the people there are different than the west coast in many ways. Some of the biggest differences I notice, is how passive Canadians are. There is an old joke that holds a lot of truth, " how do you get 10-Canadians out of a swimming pool"? The answer is just ask them to get out. An American would ask why. Like GD mentioned patriotism isnt really a thing in Canada, where in the US it is.

My wife and I saw something in Chicago a few years back that really illustrated another big difference in the two countries. One of her relatives was in the hospital there and we were in the area so went by for a visit. On our way back out as we neared the lobby, we could hear someone speaking real loud. When we got down there we see this big black guy standing on a chair, preaching a sermon. There was about 50-people in the lobby, and they were sitting there listening without complaints that we heard. Nobody came and threw the guy out, he finished his sermon and left. You would never see that here. A guy was telling me just the other day that a lot of Canadian Christians have started moving to the US, especially since the covid crisis.

I think that brings up another difference, although maybe along the same lines. Look at what Canadians are being forced to do right now when they come back to Canada from abroad. They are required to spend a few days at a quarantine hotel, that they pay for. Been a few news stories on it recently, and two different friends of mine have gone through it in the last month. Americans would never stand for that kind of treatment.

As far as earning a living in the two countries, taxes are the biggest difference that I notice. I read somewhere that .52 out of every dollar a Canadian earns now goes to taxes of some sort. Im not sure if that number is 100% accurate, but I do know in Canada you have to make way more money for the same standard of living. Americans enjoy more disposable income, and if they are smart, will resist going down the road Canada has. Its gotten to the point up here now that its really hard to find an incentive to start a business. Between the red tape and taxes, its hard to make it pay. You need at least $30 an hour here to make a go of it, and you wont have a lot left at the end of the month. The carbon tax just went up, so maybe $30 isnt even enough any more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Good evening to you my friend, I hope that the weather's been cooperating for you folks as far as your agricultural needs and that all in your world are well.

The question you've posed isn't as simple as it might first appear in that you'll get a diverse number of answers I'd think.

Those answers will depend upon the geographic location of the respondent, the line of work they're in or were in and likely the actions of their provincial or state government over this past tumultuous year.

Speaking broadly, since I live just a few hours south of my cyber friend 673, it's a very conservative leaning area, but as he's said, the voting system here is such that the decision as to who will be in power is made before BC heads to the polls. While BC had - up to the outbreak of the beer flu - a GDP higher than all the Atlantic provinces combined - we do not get a similarly weighted number of seats in the House of Commons. Thus when the Atlantic provinces or eastern Canada as a whole wants a handout from the west, it's easy for them to accomplish as they have the majority of the seats.

Again like 673 stated, I honestly do not know anyone who has even a small degree of "trust" in the current federal government, other than to trust that they will follow their own agenda regardless of whether or not it contravenes the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Speaking personally, I "trust" them to spend too much money on too many useless projects and vote buying ventures.

Having had a fair bit of time over the years traveling in the western US states - Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, Colorado and a week in south Texas, I got to talk to a fair few people and I must say was always treated wonderfully by them all with the sole exception of a Homeland Security officer who was younger than some cowboy boots I own and apparently needed to vary his diet from mainly crab apples. wink

The states are similar to the provinces - as I understand it wabigoon - in that there's different laws for setting up and operating businesses, interstate sales of goods and to some degree health and safety regulations. Again, we're different in BC than Alberta or Saskatchewan - having lived in all those 3 provinces I can state that.

Overall, I felt as if I was able to make connections with people who had similar backgrounds as me, so to some degree that's geographic but not always. I recall in Cody, WY one night talking with a fireman into the wee hours of the next day about how frustrating the political systems were which gave both of us the feeling that our voices didn't really and truly matter.

He was there fishing with his father, was a part time elk guide and that alone gave us a couple hours of visiting - which is no surprise really.

On the other hand someone who has only lived and worked say in Toronto may well have very little common ground with a country mountain redneck such as myself and we'd have to work at it to find grist for the communication mill at times no doubt.

While that might not have answered your question, it's a start perhaps or at least my take on it.

All the best to you all wabigoon.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've trucked across Canada and trucked in 42 states. There are good and bad people on both sides of the border. Chit holes in every city. Better roads and truck stops in US. Montana is my favorite US State. Alaska is second. US has much better system of government than Canada. Health care is a coin toss as far as I'm concerned. I love my country but hate our present government. Trudeau 2. 3 grandparents from US 2 from Iowa 1 from Illinois. Good quality of life in both countries. IMO

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Patriot's...The Patriotic, usually, Christian Canadian's are the one's who have been the intended target of relentless attack in this Country, like other's.

As I pointed out previously, our populace has been divided, by race.
The Native population has been taken out of the equation by... policy... and frankly...the curious blend of money and guile.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My paternal grandparents were Canadian citizens and lived in Canada. Spent much time there growing up and my parents still own the place.

Canada is not a bad place. Odd laws for many Americans and it’s very very liberal for the most part. Conservative Canadians are very much the minority.

Canadians and Americans have very different expectations from life in my experience and Americans are far more materialistic...well the baby boomers are.

While very conservative and extremely proud to be American I think Canadians are generally happier.

They tend to think America is all guns and crack. Something like 90% of em live within 50 miles of the border IIrc. Food in Canada is awful compared to the US. Well to be fair their dairy is better in my experience but their meat and seafood is terrible.

Americans have much much more freedom and I’m not just referring to the 2a.

Canadians are also far more anti-American than Americans are anti Canada. Not to be snarky but I believe it’s because Canada is internationally insignificant and they have an inferiority complex.

Canada is also loaded with Chinese and Arabs and pakis. We have the you know who’s

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Also would add...Canada is a beautiful country and Id rather share a border with them than just about any other country on earth.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MidBore338
My paternal grandparents were Canadian citizens and lived in Canada. Spent much time there growing up and my parents still own the place.

Canada is not a bad place. Odd laws for many Americans and it’s very very liberal for the most part. Conservative Canadians are very much the minority.

Canadians and Americans have very different expectations from life in my experience and Americans are far more materialistic...well the baby boomers are.

While very conservative and extremely proud to be American I think Canadians are generally happier.

They tend to think America is all guns and crack. Something like 90% of em live within 50 miles of the border IIrc. Food in Canada is awful compared to the US. Well to be fair their dairy is better in my experience but their meat and seafood is terrible.

Canadians are also far more anti-American than Americans are anti Canada. Not to be snarky but I believe it’s because Canada is internationally insignificant and they have an inferiority complex.

Canada is also loaded with Chinese and Arabs and pakis. We have the you know who’s

You’ve been hanging out in the wrong parts of Canada.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

LOL, that's what I was thinking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673

LOL, that's what I was thinking.

673 & Jordan;
Good morning to both of you fine gentlemen, I hope that it's more than less spring in your respective parts of the country and that all who matter to you both are well.

As mentioned in my post above, most of my travels have been in the north western states so that doesn't make me an expert on much at all, but we did both stay at a few Suntree Inns and ate at a whole pile of US restaurants, cafes, diners and truck stops.

While I'd opine that 30 years ago the service in US dining establishments was a bit better, in our experience the servers on this side of the medicine line improved their game immensely in that period. As far as the quality of the meals goes, well I'll say that I've paid for meals in San Antonio for instance that were north of $250USD for 4 of us that were far, far less tasty than meals up here at similar "class/grade/price point" dining establishments.

Please note I use that number not to brag in any way, only to say that it wasn't the worst dive we could find in either case.

As far as ethnic diversity or lack thereof, well that's fairly community specific in our part of the world in my experience as well, but then again since both my grandfathers were refugees when they came here from eastern Europe - Germans from Russia and Romania - I've always had a soft spot for folks who want to come here, work hard and add to the community.

Where I grew up on the flat lands, every town had at least two families who had Chinese lineage and most of them had been there since their ancestors came to build the railway. One owner of the local Chinese restaurant loved two things in life - golf and hunting whitetails - so in his establishment along with the requisite for the time Chinese posters on the wall and such, were golf trophies from local tournaments and huge Saskatchewan whitetail racks and mounts!

While I do believe that some of our fellow citizens might be inclined to believe the anti-US rhetoric espoused by some of the media, I'd like to believe that less and less of us are taking anything they say at face value anymore, you know? Other than watching the Kelowna station for local news I've pretty much quit watching the propaganda networks for news... well I've actually nearly quit watching TV anymore for that matter.

All the very best to you both from the not so sunny south Okanagan this morning.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Canadian standard of living in material things has always been less than our American cousins . I really have American cousins. Years back the difference was explained as the most popular car in the States was the Ford Taurus and in Canada the Chevy Cavalier. The. 08 recession changed things somewhat. In Canada we have more and better bank regulations, so internally it barely touched us. But as a trading nation, we still got hit.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Midbore338s comment on Canadians being more anti American than the other way around, is spot on in my experience, especially if you lean to the conservative side of the isle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Damned straight, he has Jordan !!

I'll not get into politics, as we are only permanent residents, not Canadian citizens & therefore can not vote !

We are conservatives for sure.

We have traveled the world & love our new home in NWO.

As Australian citizens, Canada has far less taxation, than Australia.

15 years ago, my last Australian job, I was salaried @ between 70-85K depending on bonuses. My basic income tax alone was .49 cents on the dollar + GST/sales tax on everything we bought, other than unprocessed foods.

We bought an existing business that pays me significantly more & I also pay significantly less tax !

The business deal was done privately, on the basis of a cup of coffee, some discussion & a hand shake.

Bought 2 houses & sold 1, the very same way.

I guess, were I'm going is, that for us (including our 2 adult children) the cost of living here is an amazing change.

We have friends both sides of the border & as outsiders ourselves, definitely do notice some differences.

Oh, I definitely do not miss living in a City of 2+ million people ! Luckily, either does my beautiful wife.

In fact, she has flourished in our new rural setting.

Loves her puppers, chickens, vege garden, camping, hunting & fishing.

I'm sure you've all seen the pics I proudly post of her !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by yukon254
Midbore338s comment on Canadians being more anti American than the other way around, is spot on in my experience, especially if you lean to the conservative side of the isle.

Have not noticed this.

As an expat Aussie, I call a spade, a bloody shovel !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In these modern times, with more and more people able to make offensive comments from behind the safety of their keyboard, more people are anti-everything. Having said this, there is no question that anti-American sentiment is very common among liberal Canadians. Interestingly, anti-Canadian sentiment appears to be most often voiced by conservative or right-wing, Americans.
Americans have often been their own worst enemy when it comes to showcasing their country and culture overseas while Canadians were much better in this regard. I say "were" because, manners, etiquette, tolerance, and respect, have been tossed out the window by everybody over the last fifty years or so and now, we all do equally poorly. Ignorance reigns supreme! GD

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by yukon254

Have not noticed this.

As an expat Aussie, I call a spade, a bloody shovel !

I wouldnt expect you would being an Aussie. Just one example out of many I could give, happened during the US election in 2016. Our local Ford dealership was taking signatures ( from Canadians ) on a big 50-foot long ribbon. The signatures were gathered as a protest towards the GOP candidates. The ribbon was eventually taken to Trumps inauguration.

Some of the things that have happened here during covid, have really brought this issue front and center. Americans, many of them service members, on their way to Alaska have been severely harassed on their travel through Canada. Last summer I stayed at a local hotel for work. The hotel was one of the designated places these traveling Americans could stay on their way through. I saw first hand how some of them were treated, and it was disgusting. Meanwhile, Canadian snowbirds have been circumventing the law to get themselves and their families to warmer climes since this started. Some are shipping motorhomes across the border, then hiring a helicopter to ferry them across. Go figure.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I should have noted...my Canadian experience IS narrow but somewhat deep. General Windsor area around lake saint Clare

Traveled some to the Yukon and BC but nothing more than a casual vacation. Spent a fair amount of time in Toronto...that’s a real dump like most big cities. It’s a lot nicer than Detroit I’ll say that lol

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
People are people, politics are politics...

The main difference is when they take away our guns in Canada, we will lay down and expose our throats... if they try to confiscate citizens guns in the USA, they are in for another civil war.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think you have to live in Canada or western Canada to realize its possible to get railed constantly from eastern Canada, the USA likes to spread their misery out so its more "equal misery to all".

I often find myself musing about how beautiful and prosperous my Country could be if Quebec were to simply become new France or whatever they like and leave.

Pretty much same schitt from the indians.

Who go's to bed every night thinking someone owes them something?...oh wait.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have worked in most provinces and territories in Canada and a number of the states. We have toured and holidayed all across Canada and in the majority of the states. Our off continent trips have exposed us to a wide variety of people from many countries. With all of this jerks are present in every nationality as are good people. The good out number the bad significantly however the bad are the ones for some reason we have retained memories.

I find touring many areas of the US I can handle for max 3 days (New Jersey / New York) while other area I can spend weeks in (Wyoming, Arizona desert, Alaska - Kodiak Island). Same for Canada. The hospitality of Newfoundland is amazing, the scenery in the territories, fishing off the Queen Charlette islands, northern Saskatchewan. Yet there are areas my wife drags me to under protest - anywhere in Quebec or Toronto.

A couple of comparison stories -- we were on a cruise and the day excursion was to large ranch. Lunch was placed at big tables and we sat beside a couple from Florida and across from a woman and her daughter from Quebec. The two from Quebec spoke French all the time at the table -- finally the fellow from Florida spoke up and said enough -- you are sitting here speak English, I know you can as I have been around you and quit talking about us in French, thinking that we cannot understand you. The women from Quebec turned beet red, went silent for the rest of the meal. Afterwards the fellow from Florida told us that he understands French and the Quebecers coming down to Florida and ruining areas as they are pushing French only. He had had enough with some of the things they were saying about people on the boat and pushed back. This trip had multiple problems with various people from Quebec --so the ugly Canadians were present to all others.

Another trip we were on a very small tour -- 7 people. 5 from Germany and they could speak English, German, French and Italian --- they all agreed that since we could only speak English they would only speak English for the tour so we were included in all conversations. One day our guide cut our day trip short and said we had to get back to camp as a tour was coming in and there was a group of Italians on the tour. He said there would be no food left if we got there late. I thought he was joking --- OMG rude pushing in the line, butting in unreal behavior. That tour was about 50% Italian and 50% English and there was obvious tension between the two groups (we were up the Amazon quite a ways so they had been together on a small tour boat for awhile stopping at various lodges). I would not have been surprised at physical altercations.

Good people are everywhere --- unfortunately bad ones are often in the same spots.

On the political / economic side I worry for both of our countries. We both have very poor leadership. I do think the US has the ability at an individual level and state level to ignore and push forward. Canada the internal political favoritism and regional vote buying could lead to serious splits. The worst mistake we made was not supporting Quebec when they wanted to separate. Having that cancer gone the country would be different economically and politically.

I have had opportunities to transfer to the US and chose to stay here to support parents. While doing this I have built 3 businesses and we have done well. However if I had built those businesses in the US under more favorable tax structures we would have done much much better. My brother has relocated to Dallas and is now a US citizen and would never come back to Canada.

To me it is a wash and having Alberta pull out of Canada due to unfavorable treatment and join the US as another state would not be the end of the world as some people portray it.

Hugh
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was rebuilding a Coleman stove I needed some green engine enamel.. It wasn't available in Canada, but it was in a NAPA store in Lynden Washington, just across the line.. I was surprised that the sale tags on the stuff was in two languages. We never see French in BC. Hmm, the States are more bilingual then we who are supposed to be officially bilingual.

I have been in countries where the only two words I knew were hello and thank you. and I got by.. I smile a lot. So going through Quebec on our cross Canada trip for the 150th, I approached Quebec like it was a foreign country. Boy , were we pleased when we hit New Brunswick.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 04/10/21.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i live in northern part of Minnesota i see no difference, can`t see why if we are from Minnesota or Canada what`s the big deal at the border ,in the days of the past there was no big deal , most of my grandparents were from Canada . only big difference is maybe gun control and no pistols allowed in Canada. Canadians should leave England period maybe become either their own country or be part of America ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by pete53
i live in northern part of Minnesota i see no difference, can`t see why if we are from Minnesota or Canada what`s the big deal at the border ,in the days of the past there was no big deal , most of my grandparents were from Canada . only big difference is maybe gun control and no pistols allowed in Canada. Canadians should leave England period maybe become either their own country or be part of America ?

I agree that we should sever all ties with England. We have become more like the US in our music and culture. It happened with the arrival of cable, and accelerated with the Internet. I suspect you will see more people calling for this once Queen Elizabeth dies.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Curious, I didn't know Canada still had ties with England. My first trip to Canada was in 1973 and 2nd in 1980. We went to Alberta and BC. I recall beautiful country and very nice people. My last trip was in 95 to Alberta hunting. We met out outfitter in Edmonton and hunted north of the Peace R. In Edmonton I couldn't tell if I was in Canada or the Middle East. The outfitter was crooked and lost his license to outfit later I found out.

My wife has relatives north of the line and my Aunt, who is in her 80s now, is from Nova Scotia. She has always been exceptionally nice. I would love to go back to Canada sometime hunting or fishing with my kids, but since COVID I am really doubting that will ever be a possibility.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Went to Calgary and Banff in 1988 from Yellowstone Park where I met my wife and worked full time, Went back up in 2018 to re-live our experience. What a dramatic sad change! Polite Canada was taken over by the immigrants the change was dramatic. The rude behavior shown by the new pushy immigrants was sad. The same thing has happened in Oregon and Washington where the polite conservatives sat back and let the rude brash outsiders come in and take over. Canada day was going on while we there and the polite Canadians were still there but in the background!

Big difference in overall tax rates that free health care mighty expensive! Love the people in YT and wish I could travel the roads that we help pay for!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Curious, I didn't know Canada still had ties with England. My first trip to Canada was in 1973 and 2nd in 1980. We went to Alberta and BC. I recall beautiful country and very nice people. My last trip was in 95 to Alberta hunting. We met out outfitter in Edmonton and hunted north of the Peace R. In Edmonton I couldn't tell if I was in Canada or the Middle East. The outfitter was crooked and lost his license to outfit later I found out.

My wife has relatives north of the line and my Aunt, who is in her 80s now, is from Nova Scotia. She has always been exceptionally nice. I would love to go back to Canada sometime hunting or fishing with my kids, but since COVID I am really doubting that will ever be a possibility.

Hi. Canada is what is called a constitutional monarchy. If you want, you can read about it here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy

Over the years, we have been loosening the ties. No one knows when the break will happen.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet a lot of ya'll liked my favorite TV show of all time, Northern Exposure. A few of the characters were from Canada. and some Canadian history and stories were worked into the show quite often. If we could eliminate governments and bad people, the border wouldn't matter. Both countries are beautiful.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It depends on what part of Canada is being compared. Just before all this covid-19 SHTF stuff, I spent some time in Quebec. While I enjoyed my stay a lot, it felt like I was in Europe. Way different than say Calgary. I would say the good folks living in B.C. and Alberta are more like us the Canadians in Quebec.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ramsdude47
There are probably not too many Yankees on here that have lived in (or otherwise spent substantial time in) Canada for long enough periods of time to actually form a worthwhile opinion. Nonetheless, I expect a lot of strong opinions. USA is definitely #1 in thinking that we are #1.

As for myself, I strongly contemplated changing teams from the Yankees to the Canucks when the conman cheetoh got elected. Turns out it is fairly challenging and expensive, and you guys have both a higher cost of living and lower pay for Registered Nurses. That did not appear to be the case outside of BC/Alberta, but I wasn't too interested in signing up to freeze my ass off half the year to live in a boring place.

Even the Canadians didn't want you

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Generally, American's have more reverence for God than Canadian's. In their Country and state Constitution's, their implying right's come from God and not Government is one example.

Not sure how long that will last in the USA, but I figure any reference to God in Canada's Constitution wont be around long, not inclusive enough for the massive new immigration Trudeau is planning.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep reading/hearing how nice Canadian's are, that is interesting.
If we look at a truly American sport, baseball seems like a sport played by Gentlemen, demonstrated by your not allowed any fights, during an entire game your not allowed to fight even once.

Lets have a look at a truly Canadian game, Hockey. You are allowed to have two fist fights during a game, the third fist fight and your out of there. Some of the best players were sent to the showers for three fights in one game.
Sure Gretzky scored alot of goals but I dont ever remember him getting sent to the locker room for having three fights in a game.
Dave (the hammer) Schultz was sent to the locker lots of times for having three or more fights, sometimes four or even five fights in a single game, making him a better player than Gretzky.

During old timers games, I have seen the referee and a player he sent to the penalty box get into a fist fight. The ref never got a penalty and after both benches emptied and everybody fought, the game resumed.
I know there are some nice Canadian's, somewhere out there.

Our other National sport, Lacrosse also allows fighting.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Dual citizen here...last 12 years in BC where we retired after working for 6 years. I came to BC for a great job opportunity and haven't regretted leaving CO after 35 working years there. In the mining industry, I saw a lot more similarities than differences between CO and BC. I will say that it was easier to find well trained mechanics and electricians in BC than in CO. The labor laws are very similar. The BC Ministry of Mines was much better at working cooperatively with the mine operator than MSHA (Mine Safety and Health Administration) in the US, which was mostly an enforcement agency with an attitude. BC pays better, but depending on the exchange rate, it can be a wash. Cross border tax rates aren't all that much different, but a pain to do..requires a tax accountant in our experience.

Deer and elk hunting is a whole lot better in CO than BC with better game management etc. I'm not infatuated with the results of a 3 month rifle seasons for deer, nor with all the antler point restrictions on deer, elk and moose. BC wins out with 15 huntable big game species vs 10 in CO. There are a whole lot of black bears in BC. Lots of goats too, but I don't take advantage of that opportunity. Hunting Stone sheep every year in north was great...so was helping a buddy get his first ram. More sheep opportunity than CO for sure. Caribou and moose are fun too.

Miss the ability to carry a S&W 329 or 629 when bowhunting in grizzly county, but have gotten use to bear spray.

Last edited by Kurt52; 04/10/21.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I know of numerous hunters who have no problem with carrying a handgun as a backup in grizzly country. One guy said he has never had a game warden ask if he had a pistol in the truck and he has never volunteered the information so it has worked out well for him! BC's wildlife management is pitiful. GD

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I compare rodeo people- we are the same.
Big city people are also the same.
When Canadian's travel, they are advised to wear a Canadian pin . We do get a little better treatment when we are identified as a Canadian .
Canada is a big place and I don't identify with much of it though.
Ranching, Rodeo folks etc - we are identical.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
comerade;
Top of the morning to you my cyber friend, I trust that this second Sunday in April finds you and yours well.

We're sort of getting spring here, but it's been freezing at night enough to have me not hooking up the irrigation quite yet, but the Saskatoon trees and Arrowleaf Balsamroot are starting to bloom.

Hopefully I'll be forgiven for repeating this story again, but it was a time when I wasn't identified as Canadian and I thought it was rather humorous.

As a general rule we usually tented on our family vacations, but as we'd experienced the storms and wind that Cody, Wyoming can get sometimes, we stayed in a hotel that night which had both showers that we all enjoyed and a pool that the girls made use of in the morning. It was I'll note before forging onward a beautiful, sunny morning considering the wild thunder and rain storm the night before.

While I was standing at the poolside watching our girls, clad as usual in hat and boots, a chap approached me and asked me something or other regarding local sights to see.

When I replied that I wasn't a local and was a Canadian, he replied in a less than complimentary way, "Well you look like a local. Where are you from?"

I replied British Columbia and was about to add where in BC we came from when he cut me off, "You don't look like you're from BC. I've been to Vancouver, you don't look like anyone I saw there..."

Anyways, it turned out he was from a larger urban center on the eastern seaboard, exactly where I've misplaced in my memory banks this morning comerade, but since he'd visited Vancouver, he felt he understood what this rather large landmass and diverse group of inhabitants represented, or so I was given to understand by him put better perhaps.

We're certainly less rural and relaxed here in the Okanagan than when we moved here in '84, but even on a busy day Kelowna does not come close to Robson Street in my experience.

Our youngest daughter lives down there in the big smoke and she seems to like it, but it's a bit busy and congested for my personal comfort level.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by comerade
When I compare rodeo people- we are the same.
Big city people are also the same.
When Canadian's travel, they are advised to wear a Canadian pin . We do get a little better treatment when we are identified as a Canadian .
Canada is a big place and I don't identify with much of it though.
Ranching, Rodeo folks etc - we are identical.

Yes that is 100% correct. My dad immigrated to Canada because he was hired as cow boss for the Gang ranch in 68. We ended up owning a ranch in northern BC. All my US family on my dads side are cowboys and ranchers. Thats all they have ever done. Canadian and American ranchers are the same breed. If you rodeo much you have probably ran into my cousin, Terry Carlan. He's been judging rough stock events ever since he quit riding a decade or so ago.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bristoe

80% of people in the western half of the country do NOT trust their Federal government

Last edited by Skatchewan; 04/11/21.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The Canadians I meet traveling seem to be more liberal about spending money that the US counterparts. Just a general observation and my opinion only!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Take care Dwayne...good story

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Went to Calgary and Banff in 1988 from Yellowstone Park where I met my wife and worked full time, Went back up in 2018 to re-live our experience. What a dramatic sad change! Polite Canada was taken over by the immigrants the change was dramatic. The rude behavior shown by the new pushy immigrants was sad. The same thing has happened in Oregon and Washington where the polite conservatives sat back and let the rude brash outsiders come in and take over. Canada day was going on while we there and the polite Canadians were still there but in the background!

Big difference in overall tax rates that free health care mighty expensive! Love the people in YT and wish I could travel the roads that we help pay for!

we will always welcome you.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I just want to get BACK into Canada so we can get back onto Anticosti deer hunting. That trip is SUCH a morale builder for my wife. Anticosti is the ONLY reason she and I BOTH have our Covid shots. PLEASE open the border.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
334 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.