Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey Gunner, I saw a 1937 exactly like yours yesterday. It was in all original condition, but at about 70% condition. The guy wanted $6,200.00 for it!!! It also had the original bolt peep like yours has. I think his price was way high. There was a lot of 348 win ammo there too. My buddy bought some for $40/box. It was very old ammo in good condition. The original box was probably worth the asking price. Keep in mind this is a very small town gunshow with 43 tables. My old gunsmith had 5 of those tables and 2 were just old ammo. These tables are 8' long. Old hard to find ammo galore. He had at least 10 boxes of 303 savage. I ended up buying $160.00 worth of reloading components. Funny thing, 3 hours into the show and 2 old guys started pitching stuff into a "free" box. I had already bought 3 boxes of matchgrade bullets from them, but they were drastically reducing prices. Ready to go home. I bought 2 more boxes of sierra 200gr matchkings, from them, for $25.00/box ad a new RCBS 7x57 die set for $20.00. You should have seen the 1886 winchester there for $11,000!! There was also some new Starline brass for the 38-55. $14 for 25 pcs. I dont know if that was a reasonable price? It was the good stuff with thinner necks and correct 2.125" length.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent rifle, Gun. You will be happy with it. My 1936 M-71 is the Deluxe version with original bolt peep. Have a 450 Fuller also on a Deluxe pre-war M-71
that was done in the 1950s by Bill Fuller in Johnson's Kenai Rifle shop. The 450 AK-450 Fuller are almost identical except for shoulder
angle. Johnson was a WWII Marine who talked with Elmer Keith about his Alaskan design. It was original and anything to the contrary
is moose caca or bear scat. The 348 Ackley is an excellent cartridge-I have owned 2 of them on M-71s and still have one.
They are first rate moose medicine with the capability of handling anything short of 2 charging brown bear. If its real close with claws , the 450s are the way to go.

The 50 AK that I had was done by Harry Mc Gowen years ago, but it was not as accurate as either the 450 AK or 450 Fuller
that I still own. So, the 50 AK went to a guide on Kodiak Island. The 50AK is very close to the 50-110. Fred Huntington saw
Harold Johnson's original "50"-so Johnson gets the credit for that one too. He was way ahead of his time.

Just remember that the 1886-Model 71s are lever actions that are faster in action than any bolt gun-and they can be reloaded
with a round still in the chamber ready to fire....try that with a bolt gun in a bear tussle. Also- cast bullets are good for practice, but the better
custom premium bullets by Kodiak-Swift-Hawk-Barnes-Woodleigh do the business on game when it counts.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JFE
Ron - I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned Winchester’s experimental 46 WCF, which was based on the 50/110 case.

Go here for all I've got on the .46 WCF: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...hould-own-one-at-least-once#Post15973647

And then some about how James Watts did the .450 Watts Rimmed (.458/.348 WCF) on an old M1886 .40-65 WCF (rebore) and a new M71 .348 WCF (re-barrel) in 1950.
In 1951 he showed it to Harold Johnson at Cooper Landing.
In 1952 the .450 Alaskan that everyone knows and loves was born.
And Harold "Bill" Fuller who was Harold Johnson's machinist/gunsmith started making the .450 Fuller when ?

It seems that the taper on the .450 Alaskan of Harold Johnson is problem free for feeding, seems to be consistent specs wherever you look if you call it by that name,
for reamer and dies to match.

[Linked Image]

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I do like the look of the 46 WCF. From a design perspective it looks more practical than the 450 Alaskan with its short neck and short case. I understand why the 450 Alaskan was built the way it was at the time, but these days with good 50/110 cases available, if you want more than a 45/70 or 45/90 has to offer the 46 WCF seems like an interesting design. It’s a pity Winchester never went into production with that cartridge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Late to the party...but really like how your M71 turned out!

Tim

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for all the well wishes and compliments Gents, that old rifle should do all i need doing with the 250gr Barnes' at an easy 2188 fps, as said, if a money/traveling hunt comes up, i have plenty of brass to load a few of the bonded 250gr Kodiaks for that occasion, sure glad i have 4 boxes of those, will be plenty for hunting, will also grab any of the 250gr Woodelighs when they are in stock.

BSA, holy damn, that's expensive, but glad you made some good buys on those components, i grab them too, they certainly wont spoil.

I need to take this old but refreshed rifle out hunting this fall, it's waiting on nothing but frost covered dead leaves in the fall.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks for all the well wishes and compliments Gents, that old rifle should do all i need doing with the 250gr Barnes' at an easy 2188 fps, as said, if a money/traveling hunt comes up, i have plenty of brass to load a few of the bonded 250gr Kodiaks for that occasion, sure glad i have 4 boxes of those, will be plenty for hunting, will also grab any of the 250gr Woodelighs when they are in stock.

BSA, holy damn, that's expensive, but glad you made some good buys on those components, i grab them too, they certainly wont spoil.

I need to take this old but refreshed rifle out hunting this fall, it's waiting on nothing but frost covered dead leaves in the fall.

That's a great old rifle. I packed it around on an elk hunt one year. I think I told you the story. I ran into this old cowboy twice that year. He kept commenting on the rifle. Saying he used to have one just like it..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir, i remember, that old Rawhide may have peeled you off a roll of hunnerts if you'd have leaned it against a tree and grinned at him ; ] wish you could have busted a bull with it Buddy, aint an elk that ever drew a breath of air i wouldn't punch with it out to a long 200 yards.

Trump Won!
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
The 458 WCF looks like a great conversion. A friend has an early 71 with a terribly pitted barrel. This cartridge looks to be the perfect solution. Who does this conversion? Hopefully they can use the original barrel. Is there a 40 caliber version of this non blown out conversion?

That .458 WCF is just a figment of wildcat fever dying slowly within me.
Somebody has probably done it before, since the .348 WCF has been necked up to all larger calibers including .510".

Actually you have to blow the case body out a little to form that shoulder where it is.
Surprisingly it is almost the same capacity as the .450 Alaskan, which is just a few grains smaller than the .458 WM in gross water case capacity.

Start with a .50 Alaskan from Starline use some Imperial Sizing Wax on it and work it far enough into the .45-75 WCF FL die to produce a caliber-length neck.

Dave Manson could make the reamer. Custom reloading dies.
Even if the COL is limited by the lever action,
I would have that reamer throated like a SAAMI .458 WM, for many reasons.

All the .348 AI and 45/348 AI and 45 Alaskan and 50 Alaskan reamers drawings I have seen have very short/tight throats.

The .348 WCF has basically no throat.
The SAAMI chamber is only 0.010" longer than maximum brass length, with a 45-degree chamfer down to 0.346" diameter before the leade starts.
Therefore any throat beyond the chamber mouth is smaller than groove diameter and bullet diameter.
You would see partial rifling starting right at the end of the chamber case mouth !
Basically no throat.
Trim that brass religiously for a .348 WCF !
maybe the AI is good for something, reducing case stretching and need for trimming.
It would really be a humdinger if it had a longer throat.
The Dave Kiff/PT&G reamer for the .348 AI is leade-only starting at 0.349" diameter right at chamber mouth and tapering to bore diameter at 1*30'00" angle,
zero parallel-sided freebore, again, basically no throat.

I did a 450 AK conversion on my M1985G 45-70 just recently, and it has been wonderful. Feeds flawlessly, only needed to lengthen the loading gate slightly, to be able to load 2.64" COL, if I stay with 2.55" COL then no mods at all.
It feeds them as fast as I can move the lever, never jams. I did all the work myself, including smoothing out the action, I have the tools and mills to do it all, so for me it was a no brainer.

People have asked why do it, including my brother..basically this is the only way to get more MV without excessive pressure. Keep the load within the 44.5K and you can push a 400 grainer to 2100fs which is 450/400 NE loads. This is about 3900 to 4100 FPE. If you match the P+ 45-70 loads, you keep the pressures down below 40k..which is easier on the gun, and why I mostly did it, to save the gun.

577nitro

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yessir, i remember, that old Rawhide may have peeled you off a roll of hunnerts if you'd have leaned it against a tree and grinned at him ; ] wish you could have busted a bull with it Buddy, aint an elk that ever drew a breath of air i wouldn't punch with it out to a long 200 yards.

I agree. That cartridge is more than capable of taking a big un down. That year was a very memorable year, hunting with your rifle. It was so wet and miserable that year. I remember jumping some cows and they just looked up at me with those eyes so big as if they were saying put us out of our misery. They were so soaked from the rain we were getting. When they saw me, they didn't even run off. They just kind of walked off, looking back at me. I waited in that spot in the manzanita hoping there would be a bull to follow them, but no luck.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, dang buddy, wish a bull would have stepped out too, iirc the old Winchester adds had the '71 348 in Alaska around bear and moose, if they got it done with those bullets, we can surely get it done better with the big bonded 250 Woodleighs, Kodiak's and 200gr A Frames, even the old 250gr Barnes' that i'm shooting now may have be a bit better than the bullets back when the cartridge was new.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This might have been posted before. old video promoting the M71 .348

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7qgsPQmcZM&t=16s

Last edited by tmitch; 04/19/21.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
tmitch, that's it, also saw some magazine photos posted here and there, would be great fun to bust a timber bull elk or big Alaskan moose.

Trump Won!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Enjoyed the video tmitch, thanks for posting. I got to get me some of them Silver tips!

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Mossyoak1957
Pictures?
I have a 1940 71 Deluxe w / factory bolt peep, best lever action ever made in my opinion

Looks like the one I picked up a few years back. I had a standard grade sick that I foolishly sold during a weak moment, then minutes later, kicked myself for doing so. I lucked out and replaced it a short while later, picking up a deluxe model, in very nice shape, at a local gun show. Made in 1953. No bolt peep but I did get a set of original sling swivels with it. This one I keep smile!!

Being over gunned beats the alternative, Keith
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a 1940-year Model 71 Standard Rifle that has been Deluxified with
checkering on forearm and pistol grip, plus artwork on the right side of butt.
Carving on butt must not have been done at the factory, you think ?
Looks like a mama polar bear in grizzly country, or a microcephalic Kodiak boar about to eat a cub with fish.
Otherwise nice rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bore is strongly rifled but otherwise so dirty and dusty I could not tell anything else.
Condition would be at least 70%, eh ?
How much of a deduction for the butt art ?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Riflecrank,
I'm no expert at all but I don't think that's a Deluxe model.

The checkering is wrong,there are no super grade sling swivels the swivel mounts are not correct no grip cap either.
I have a 1940 Deluxe also.
Cool 71 though.

Last edited by Mossyoak1957; 05/29/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mossyoak1957
Riflecrank,
I'm no expert at all but I don't think that's a Deluxe model.

The checkering is wrong,there are no super grade sling swivels the swivel mounts are not correct no grip cap either.
I have a 1940 Deluxe also.
Cool 71 though.

Yup!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, I fixed it above, changed it to:

1940-year Model 71 Standard Rifle that has been Deluxified with
checkering on forearm and pistol grip, plus artwork on the right side of butt.

Still lacks the grip cap, and may have some variant kind of sling studs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Standard Rifle priced like a Deluxe.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 160user, 93 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.