Hop To
W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

I'd like to ask for advice.

I've decided to get out of .308/7.62x51. I have the HS detachable setup on my Remington 700 5-R. Replaced the fixed mag well. Have two 10 round and one 5 round mags (just in case for hunting). 20 moa inclined/sloped base. Zeiss 6.5-20x50 MC scope. I've shot it out to 800 yard. Very accurate. I thought I'd do a lot of long distance shooting but never really did much. Too hard to find a place to shoot past 300 yards

My question is: Do you think I'd be better off taking the 5-R back to stock and selling off the scope, mount and mags separately or do you think someone would be willing to spend the $$ on the pre-assemble package? Appreciate any advice.

NRA Benefactor - Patron - Endowment - Life Member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd advertise/price it both ways, package deal, or parted it out. Maybe run the package for a bit to see what happens.

Cost of shipping has steadily gone up, so take that into consideration, along with the hassle of dealing with multiple people, and the deadbeats that back out two days later.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Like aalf said advertise both

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If I was selling:

Rifle back to stock, with the scope base - is the muzzle threaded? Stainless or blued Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Scope - separate.

Bottom metal - sperate with one mag

Remaining mags separate - each.

Yes - make a package price, and be prepared for low-ball offers - you'll get few here, but it's a good group for the majority.

The market is soft for generic long range rifles, while you have modified with quality aftermarket, it's not a "custom" build - IMHO.

Last edited by AH64guy; 11/19/20.
W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the advice.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AH64guy
If I was selling:

Rifle back to stock, with the scope base - is the muzzle threaded? Stainless or blued Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Scope - separate.

Bottom metal - sperate with one mag

Remaining mags separate - each.

Yes - make a package price, and be prepared for low-ball offers - you'll get few here, but it's a good group for the majority.

The market is soft for generic long range rifles, while you have modified with quality aftermarket, it's not a "custom" build - IMHO.

This is how I’d do it. It’s been my experience that fellas tend to like their own tinkering. Scope and rifle combo’s are tough unless you just want to dump it. Seems a price on a combo is always less than the sum of the parts, then the scope gets sold off pretty quick.

W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I think breaking up might be the way to go. I had a CZ set up I had trouble selling. Took the scope off, sold them separately for a couple hundred more than I was asking for the package. This one had me wondering whether the 5R would bring a better price with the HS setup. But perhaps there is a better demand for the HS bottom metal and mags separately. The Zeiss scope should be worth a pretty penny. At least it cost me a lot when new.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by w8d4it
... This one had me wondering whether the 5R would bring a better price with the HS setup. But perhaps there is a better demand for the HS bottom metal and mags separately...

It's going to depend on who looking for what - I walked into a Sportsman Warehouse in PA not looking for a rifle two weeks ago, and walked out with a Gen 1 5-R tactical stainless threaded with the stock BDL bottom.

If it stays, it'll get a new box mag, but may be a another brand, or what I snag off of the Fire Classified!

W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Good advice either way. Now I’m back to wondering

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by w8d4it
Now I’m back to wondering

Another route, I'm having my 5R trimmed to a 20" barrel and installing a TriggerTech trigger and safety assembly. I've ordered a laminated gray and plum colored varmint stock for it.

Reasons, as previously mentioned it does not have a coveted custom barrel, and I don't have that many places to practice really long range fun. So, because I know it's accuracy, is worth more to me than used market value, so I'm going to re-purpose and just keep it.

New purpose, short and handy rifle to use when hunting out of a cramped whitetail blind. The heavier barrel will be a plus as a blind rifle by helping to keep the cross hairs steadier when I'm excited.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How is the current market for Remington 5R rifles....??? I have the Model 85197 and thinking of selling. Thanks for any info.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AGL4now
How is the current market for Remington 5R rifles....??? I have the Model 85197 and thinking of selling. Thanks for any info.

an above reply said soft.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
man, the 5-r is such a good rifle. they got the weight/balance/size right, and they are tackdrivers. slap a SS 6x or 10x on top and you are GTG.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I am getting ready to sell a new one. Remington Model #85197 .300 Win. Mag. https://www.remarms.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-5-r-stainless-threaded-gen-2

Originally Posted by n8dawg6
man, the 5-r is such a good rifle. they got the weight/balance/size right, and they are tackdrivers. slap a SS 6x or 10x on top and you are GTG.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 68 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.