Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mcclure Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Is a Bell and Carlson sporter stock going to be an improvement over the normal Hogue stock (with pillars, not with the full bedding block) that comes with a Howa rifle? Is it enough of an improvement to be worth $300?

BP-B6

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If the goal is lightweight, then no. I have several B&C, and like them. Nice stiff stocks but they're not as light as say a Bansner or Edge. .Sorry, zero experience with hogue...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I swapped a hogue overmolded out from a Mauser beater rifle for a bell and Carlson sporter. Feels way better in my mind. Heavier but it feels better in the hand. I like the b&c stocks and dont know that for my needs I need anything else.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Howa?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mcclure
Is a Bell and Carlson sporter stock going to be an improvement over the normal Hogue stock (with pillars, not with the full bedding block) that comes with a Howa rifle? Is it enough of an improvement to be worth $300?

Improvement?

What is your goal? Rigidity? Weight? Ergonomics?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
mcclure Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by okie john

If they made one for the Howa it would seem like the obvious choice from what I've read.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Improvement?

Ergonomics...maybe...I prefer the B&C but for anything functional, no its not worth the money to switch out the Hogue.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hard to say what works and is worth for another's use. A decent laminate could do the trick for some. An HS for others. Many a B&C has worked perfectly fine. I prefer stuff slimmer than Hogue overmolds, however, have one on a 10/22 and don't hate it $300 worth.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The hogue stock on my old 375 Ruger was a deal killer. Way too clubby and thick in the pistol grip.

Over time, the awkward, slippery, clubby grip on my B&C stocked CZ 550 Kevlar carbine became undesirable as well:

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-550-carbine-30-06-5-rd-fixed-mag-adj-composite/

Neither......

IC B3

M
mcclure Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M

Rigidity and ergonomics, really. I do not mind the weight of the Hogue and I know the Bell and Carlson isn't really lighter (I do not know the actual weight of the Hogue stocks). It's a hunting rifle but so far I have not minded hauling a Howa around in the woods and haven't been burning for something lighter.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Rigidity and ergonomics, really. I do not mind the weight of the Hogue and I know the Bell and Carlson isn't really lighter (I do not know the actual weight of the Hogue stocks). It's a hunting rifle but so far I have not minded hauling a Howa around in the woods and haven't been burning for something lighter.

Like laminates?

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I swapped one out on a Howa mini and think it was 100% worth it. I felt the Hogue was so blocky a 2x4 would have been an upgrade.

“Lighten up Francis”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I do not have a Howa, but have had several factory issue Hogues on Rugers. I currently still have a Hogue on a 10/22 and a Mini-14. These will likely remain in place.

I personally don’t care for the semi-beaver tail / fat forends of the Hogue. I will say, I have never noticed much grouping differences between the factory pillar bedded Hogue and replacement McMillans that were bedded.

I now have several Bell & Carlson stocks on Winchester M70’s.
Overall, I like them. No they ain’t - a - McMillan. They are not the lightest either, but several ounces lighter than the H-S Precision’s that I have.
As mainer_in_Alaska stated, the paint is not grippy. But, I find the same with McMillan’s moulded-in-color stocks, slick even with the checkering. The B&C paint slickness can be remedied, if troublesome. It seems to me, after the initial runs of BACO M70’s the grips were slimmed down. I have a take-off factory one that seems fatter than the ones that I have purchased from B&C later on.

Thus far, I am pretty satisfied with the B&C’s. I have certainly not had any greater fitment issues with a B&C than I have had with any others, which includes McMillan’s.
A Ruger B&C stock and 3ea M70’s arrived a few days ago. To me, definitely an improvement over the factory Hogue and plastic M70 stocks.

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I switched out the factory synthetic stock on my Winchester Model 70 SS Classic with a Hogue Overmolded Stock. I couldn't be more pleased. The Hogue stock fit me perfectly (especially in the pistol grip) and really aides in a quick sight acquisition. I also like the qualities of the rubber, which makes it easy to hold in any type weather. I also put a Hogue on my 10/22 and like that one too. However, as someone else has mentioned, rifle stock qualities are very much subjective.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have had a B&C carbelite on my 98 Mauser 30-06 for years. No complaints

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No use for a rubber stock. It's because of that stock I don't own a Howa..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have B&C stocks on Howa 1500s, Mausers, and a Zastava 85.

I've never handled a Hogue stock that I liked enough not to replace.

B&Cs aren't McMs, but they are good stocks and, sometimes, like Richards Micro-Fit stocks, they are the only reasonably priced after-market option, such as for the Interarms Mini-Mauser, Remington 799, and Zastava 85.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

Improvement?

Ergonomics...maybe...I prefer the B&C but for anything functional, no its not worth the money to switch out the Hogue.

Exactly. He may notice an improvement by going with a Basner and will definitely notice by going to a Mcmillan edge or similar stock. A B&C, no not hardly.. I'd keep the Hogue myself..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have had both. Depending on the model the b&c can be a fine upgrade. Just visit their website. They offer all kinds of weights etc. The hogue stocks I’ve had on howas were a little heavier but no complaints at all. I think it comes down to weight? Both are serviceable stocks IMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
329 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 34 invisible), 2,003 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.