24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I am always amazed at how emotional someone gets when they somehow feel their pet round is being insulted. The 35 Whelen, 9.3x62 and 375 H&H can all kill the biggest bears and none of them are going to disappear anytime soon.

Originally Posted by astralabs
Enjoy your 35 Ws. It will soon revert to wildcat status and all those heavyweight bullets will fade away. The 9.3x62 will keep soldiering on as it has since 1905 before there was even a 30-06 for the good Col. and/or Mr Howe to neck up.

Next time you are hunting anywhere in the world try to buy some 35 Whelen ammo after the airline has lost yours.

I had a beautiful red pad 77 35 Whelen. Nice gun, accurate but not quite a 9.3x62.

So if you want one get one but don't try and blow smoke that it is equal to a 9.3x62.

One gun for anything anywhere ? The 375 Weatherby ..... read the new Rifle magazine.

Gerry.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys realize that astralabs is Larry Root?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had no idea, thanks.

Gerry.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Neither did astralabs...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Steve_in_OR
I do believe it is the most you can get out of an 06 based 35 cal.

I hope Freddy Zeglin (358 Hawk inventor) doesn't get wind of this . . . smirk

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well MM,
I'll just make a gentleman's bet with you that the 35 BW has more case capacity that the 358 Hawk. If you compare them, I believe the shoulder is moved further forward and is a sharper angle on the BW. Be happy to mail you or Fred a fired case to compare. I would add that the velocities I achieved in 24' barrel were quite similar to what the Hawk is claiming to get.
All that being said, I kinda like the Hawk case design a little better, with it's more sloped shoulder and longer neck. Nice to have correct headstamped brass available, too.
Steve

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have a Std. Whelen and a Ackley Improved gain about 50 FPS or a little more with the AI. Had to to work with the AI to get it to feed well the sharp shoulder would hang up as it fed.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hey Steve, you misinterpreted my comment. There is a smirk at the end. wink

FZ was a marketing man. This is what he claimed on his website a while back:

[Linked Image]

FZ would claim much higher velocities than the parent case due to "efficiencies" of his design. He was adamant that it wasn't due to running at higher pressures and all his load were pressure tested and safe.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My take is that the original Whelen was an answer to the shortage of magnum actions. The improved forms AI & BW were at least in part designed to eliminate the myth that the Whelen didn't have enough shoulder to head space on and the second idea was to try to turn it into a .375, which it isn't.

All of them are good cartridges but I think if I was going after the type game you are talking about I would think about greater magazine capacity before I would do anything that might affect feeding.

If I wanted to really get looney I would do a 35 x .375 Ruger AKA 35 Newton just to be different.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Trejano, I am not familiar with the .375 Ruger case is it a belted case ? Will it fit in the standard 06 action ? I have seen .35 Newton in wildcat listings before but that's all I know of it.

These Hawk wildcats mentioned further up the page were do I find more info on them ?

I don't mind playing with brass, I quite enjoy it actually so no factory loads or factory brass is of no concern to me.

Some one mentioned more mag capacity, if you can't drop a buff inside 100 yds with 4 shots you need to be already running or climbing a tree !!!

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beretz, has a 35 Newton, it wouldn't surprise me to see him show up on this thread. He even made some cases from the 375 Ruger. I had a 375 Ruger and it is a great round, for where I hunt a 35 Newton would have done the same thing with less recoil and been better for me. That said I'm more than satisfied with what the standard 35 Whelen delivers, but it sure is nice to experiment smile

Gerry.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MM,
I think I probably did take it the wrong way and I do apologize, no harm either way I hope.
I also read (or tried to) his lengthy piece on cartridge efficiency on his website. Totally lost me after about a paragraph. I also sort of scratched my head at his business model of making his cartridges totally proprietary, going so far as to not even publish a case diagram. If you want a rifle chambered for one of his cartridges, your gonna have to have him chamber it. Some nice looking cartridges, none the less, even if they don't quite reach the velocities advertised.
Now a 35/375 Ruger, that would be the ticket. But then what would I use my 375 Ruger for (or my 35BW, or 338-06, or 300Win, or 30-06, or 308Win). Too many rifles in calibers larger than I really need already.
Steve

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The .375 Ruger will fit in a standard action and is belt less. Look up in the articles section and check out Rick Bins article on the 338 x 375 Ruger to get a better idea of the case.

The 35 Whelen is a fine cartridge and performs beyond it's case capacity. But to get much more you would have to go with a belted case or a medium like the Ruger ( similar to the 8x68mm case ).

I have always wanted a .350 Rigby or .35 Newton for no real reason other than nostalgia and they are both great cartridges.

RE: Magazine capacity
Not a reference to your proficiency.
I was thinking of culling ( taking multiples out of a herd ) and the outside chance of a botched job.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
E
E
I have a Remington Model 721 that has been rechambered to 35 Brown-Whelen. I am looking for information regarding sizing and fireforming the brass for it. Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the process. I have a set of CH4D dies for it. Any information would be appreciated.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't get why someone cannot be satisfied with a 250 grain bullet of good construction launched at 2400 fps in the Whelen. It's devastating.

The way life should be.
E
E
I like my Whelen, I got this rifle because it got my curiosity up and I like a challenge.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
In 1960, just before my college graduation, I made the only serious mistake I have made to date in handloading and ended up with 60 grains of IMR 3031 behind a 220 grain cast bullet in my 1917 Enfield .30-'06. I survived it with no permanent injuries but the rifle had developed headspace. Having read a long article in Gun Digest about the .35 Brown Improved Whelen, I sent the rifle off to P.O. Ackley to be rebored to .35 caliber and rechambered to that caliber. Until this year, I had never killed anything with it. Something always seemed to come up in the way. This year, however, I bagged a healthy sized buck and can report that the cartridge killed him dead at about 75 yards. The load was not chronographed, however.

No headspace problems.

E
E
Re: Steve_in_OR I would be interested if you could point me in the direction for info on the 35 Brown-Whelen cartridge. I have gotten as far as running 30-06 brass in the
35 B-W dies with no problem so far. Any insight would be helpful.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If you open those cases up to 375, you should get enough shoulder to headspace the cartridge for fireforming. Do not use light loads to fireform. A snappy load with a faster burning powder works best. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Ep3jflyer
I have a Remington Model 721 that has been rechambered to 35 Brown-Whelen. I am looking for information regarding sizing and fireforming the brass for it. Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the process. I have a set of CH4D dies for it. Any information would be appreciated.

There are three ways I would approach it:

1. Get some .30-06 basic (cylindrical). Size it in your FL die for a tight fit in your chamber. Fireform with a 200 gr bullet using a middle-of-the-road Whelen load.

2. Neck up 35 Whelen brass. I'd use a .375 tapered expander. Then follow the steps in (1.) above.

3. Buy some Quality Cartridge .35 B-W headstamped brass.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,080 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.