Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Went to my LGS yesterday with my favorite lady's son in law who was going to fill out the paperwork for a NICS check for a Marlin 60 1977 vintage I found for him there.

While it is basically a tactical shop they do get some nice old school rifles in on consignment and I have gotten a few nice 700's and 760's there, so I always watch.

Anyways, no rifles that interest me but I see a yellow box on the shelf behind the counter. What's in that yellow box I ask? Oh, just a scope that's in on consignment was the bored reply.
Let me see that I said, so he hands me the box and out pops an old school El Paso Weaver V9 3X9 with adjustable objective. The box is beat but the scope is like brand new outside of 1 slight ringmark on the bottom of the scope. How much I ask? He tells me, and I say I'll take it.

When the box was moved I spotted a Denver Redfield Low Pro Widefield which was 4X. I tell Kimball that that would go nice on the 22 Marlin. Again I ask how much? All the scopes there on consignment are the same price comes the reply. Kimball will take it.

When that scope was moved out I spot a little shiny scope, high gloss, 20MM objective lens and a big gold ring near the end of the objective lens. A Leupold Vari X III 1.5X5 like brand new. I said I'll take that one too.

I'm not even going to say what we paid for them no one would even believe it, but suffice it to say we walked out of there with 3 old school scopes for less than what the cheapest one of the 3 was worth.
Sometimes the blind squirrel finds a nut, LMAO.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
BP-B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
score city, right there ...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get about as stoked to find nice older scopes like that as I do buying a new gun. Congrats.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There seems to be a bit of an uptick of interest as of late for older / gloss scopes, my self included.

I think people want them for older rifles that wouldn't look right with a big matte scope with turrets. I just found a nice gloss Leupold 12x AO fixed for an older M700 Varmint in 222. I was glad to get it.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I think people want them for older rifles that wouldn't look right with a big matte scope with turrets. I just found a nice gloss Leupold 12x AO fixed for an older M700 Varmint in 222. I was glad to get it.

Exactly !!!! I recently bought a very pristine 1979 vintage Remington 760 BDL deluxe with basket weave checkering. Gun appears unfired and came with a like brand new Redfield Revolution 3X9. I doubt the scope was used either as the base was loose and actually rattled on the gun.

As nice as the scope is, it looked all wrong on that gun with high gloss wood finish and finely polished blued metal.

So now I have 3 choices for a scope on that gun(all in high gloss). The Leupold in the picture above, a Denver Redfield Widefield 1.5X5 or a Denver Redfield Widefield low profile 2X7 which I have at Iron sight being rebuilt and I'm having them install a post/crosshair reticle.

Decisions decisions, LMAO !!!!!!

Garry
Trump won !!!
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wink_man

Exactly !!!! I recently bought a very pristine 1979 vintage Remington 760 BDL deluxe with basket weave checkering. Gun appears unfired and came with a like brand new Redfield Revolution 3X9. I doubt the scope was used either as the base was loose and actually rattled on the gun.

As nice as the scope is, it looked all wrong on that gun with high gloss wood finish and finely polished blued metal.

So now I have 3 choices for a scope on that gun(all in high gloss). The Leupold in the picture above, a Denver Redfield Widefield 1.5X5 or a Denver Redfield Widefield low profile 2X7 which I have at Iron sight being rebuilt and I'm having them install a post/crosshair reticle.

Decisions decisions, LMAO !!!!!!

I have used those 1.5-5 Leupolds on 760s. They work perfectly, esp in very low mounts. No bolt to clear.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

I have used those 1.5-5 Leupolds on 760s. They work perfectly, esp in very low mounts. No bolt to clear.

Yep, so have I. I have one on another 1979 vintage 760 carbine I purchased new and a year later put the Leupold 1.5X5 on it in low mounts. Zeroed it and went hunting. It's been on ever since and never had to resight it in and works perfectly in dense brush, the gun has shot a bunch of deer.

Sometimes I think that scope was custom made for a 760.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One of my favourite scopes for sure on a lot of rifles.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by wink_man

Yep, so have I. I have one on another 1979 vintage 760 carbine I purchased new and a year later put the Leupold 1.5X5 on it in low mounts. ...

Wait a minute here.... low mounts on a 760???? I thought see-throughs were de rigueur on 7f60's???

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dang. That’s a sweet score.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Congrats on the score....

I came across 3 Leupold 3 x 9s in a drawer yesterday.. big deal since we moved 3 summers ago, I still can't find half the things that are mine,
as the wife thinks everything of hers takes priority...

at the same time, they just seem so old school in ratio, to some of the scopes I've picked up in the last few years.. with 30 mm tubes and range finding reticles...

I especially like that old school Weaver ya picked up....a steel scope, who would have thought in today's world...

I'm waiting for them to start making scopes with polymer tubes in the not too distant future....

if Biden doesn't destroy the firearms industry.... he's already making it illegal to be white, male, Christian and military veteran.... with a job...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Several years ago at a gun show I found a table with a bunch of scopes. Assorted no-name fairly well skinned up. At the small end of the pile was a late El Paso Weaver K2.5 with duplex. The thing was absolutely mint, not a mark on it. The price was $40. I put it down and walked away! Takes a man a long time to get over a decision like that!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
185 members (12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 18 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.