Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
So my only experience hunting elk is late season in low country on private land. As far as bulls were concerned, we saw them either in bachelor groups of 2-5 bulls, or we would see them mixed in with a herd of 200+ elk. As far as cows, we only saw them in the big herds.....never saw one or two stray cows off by themselves like we did the bulls.

For early season, say mid-Sept, up high in a Colorado OTC unit.....is it still the case where cows are going to be in big herds, or might they be traveling in small groups and spread out all over the place?

My goal is to shoot a cow with my bow, so just trying to get a better idea of their habits. I realize public land, especially OTC, is vastly different than unpressured private land, and imagine the time of year and rut are going to also play a role. So I basically know nothing and realize that.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The herds will generally be smaller, with cows being occasionally singles but up to 50ish, maybe 100 or so if conditions dictate but IME they'll number about 10-20 on a rough average that time of year. There will very possibly be a single bull with those smaller herds of cows, with some satellite bulls nearby too.

This is an average to upper sized September timeframe, public land general season herd of cows with a single bull in it. There are a few more to the right, out of the frame.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com].

One never knows though. I have seen huge herds in late August through September before.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mid-Sept is the middle of the rut. The cows will be in herds as large as the bull is capable of keeping, anywhere from 5 to 20 normally.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
They can be in a herd, alone or in small satellite groups. In areas of high pressure hunting they will get sneaky and nocturnal.

Natural saddles between high ridges can funnel travel, especially if those saddles have aspen meadows interspersed with pine, and adjacent escape routs of dark timber along the edges.

If they're trying to locate one another, sometimes they'll call out for audible location. Especially in the graying pre dawn hours. When not being sneaky, their steps make a definite sound. Smell can also preempt location in low visibility terrain.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Mid-Sept is the middle of the rut. The cows will be in herds as large as the bull is capable of keeping, anywhere from 5 to 20 normally.

This has mostly been my experience but I've also come across small groups of cows with calves, and no bull in the mix. From a single cow with or without calve(s) to eight or ten total. Of course, there could have been some more nearby that I didn't see, but they would've scattered after the shot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I see larger herds on deeded properties where they experience few threats (they're not stupid), and during the Sept rut. At those times there can be a lot of country where one will not find elk.
Also, when heavy winters force them from historical ranges, one may encounter large herds. Balance of the year singles to groups of maybe 20.

Small portion of about 200+ in Sept rut.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 04/08/21.

1Minute
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Killing one with a bow is a very difficult undertaking, to be realistic give yourself several years. I have attempted that feat on and off for a number of years and came close several times, but could not get it done. If you love "hunting" elk use a bow, if you love "eating" elk use a muzzleloader or rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and if you like being fed bullshit, lissen to elkmen and the elkslayer dude.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

This has mostly been my experience but I've also come across small groups of cows with calves, and no bull in the mix. From a single cow with or without calve(s) to eight or ten total. Of course, there could have been some more nearby that I didn't see, but they would've scattered after the shot.
Some years ago 2 of us were bowhunting in Sept. We saw a herd of about 15 or 16 cows come over a saddle toward us. Then a little 4x4 bull came after them. All we could say was how in the heck did that little guy get 15 cows? He probably stole them when the herd bull was busy fighting off another one. They went to one side and into black timber. We were still there 20 min later when they came back out and went back over the same saddle. This time, though, the bull was a big 6x6. Behind him was the little guy tagging along and bawling his head off. His stolen cows got stolen back.

― George Orwell

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and if you like being fed bullshit, lissen to elkmen and the elkslayer dude.....

Wow, another SPORTSMAN, with a potty mouth , it"s almost like being in high school again.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Killing one with a bow is a very difficult undertaking, to be realistic give yourself several years. I have attempted that feat on and off for a number of years and came close several times, but could not get it done. If you love "hunting" elk use a bow, if you love "eating" elk use a muzzleloader or rifle.

Not even close to accurate an ya I have killed a lot of elk with a bow.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yup, bet you have. And I know several that have also, however that is not the usual. If you look at the data available for each state you will find (rough figures) that the rifle hunters success ratio is about twice that of archery hunters. At a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation gathering a few years, ago the number thrown around for "any" weapon success, was one elk every 7 years. I don't have the inclination to dig through a bunch of different states data and post it here, but I am pretty sure that my perspective is pretty close. My average is far better than most, but the new archer, in reality has a long wait before competency and consistent success.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Archery success in Colorado runs about 9-10%. Rifle about 18%.

Bulls in rut will somewhat keep cows bunched, but cows decide where the herd goes to go.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Yup, bet you have. And I know several that have also, however that is not the usual. If you look at the data available for each state you will find (rough figures) that the rifle hunters success ratio is about twice that of archery hunters. At a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation gathering a few years, ago the number thrown around for "any" weapon success, was one elk every 7 years. I don't have the inclination to dig through a bunch of different states data and post it here, but I am pretty sure that my perspective is pretty close. My average is far better than most, but the new archer, in reality has a long wait before competency and consistent success.

Some guys maybe shouldn't try bowhunting elk.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Archery success in Colorado runs about 9-10%. Rifle about 18%.

Bulls in rut will somewhat keep cows bunched, but cows decide where the herd goes to go.
The meanest, raunchiest old bitch in the herd - the lead cow. She had to fight for the job.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My sporting pursuit with a recurve ended after I had a couple of elk steaks. Now it's usually a .270 Win., 6.5CM or a .308 Win.. My magnum years are over.
Good luck to the OP. Its the only thing I hunt in the lower 48.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The cows are the lookout for the big bulls.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You got a rut hunt? Just wait till you find a Bull holding one for you. I mean there is a reason it's one bull to multiple cows 😉

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by saskfox
The cows are the lookout for the big bulls.

And while I have never seen this discussed on any hunting forum, in my last several years guiding in Colorado I started running into bedded elk using muleys as watchdogs. It was a hoot to be able to experience and I wish I had a gopro those many years ago! I would get down on one knee when I saw muleys (I am working on foot while my hunters are in a sit somewhere) and not only do you have to be wary of the muleys, but the bedded cows you are not looking for immediately! Freaking wild!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One time quite a few years ago I was hunting deer. A friend was with me who'd never hunted and wanted to see what it was like. He wasn't hunting, just following along. I spotted a deer across the draw, maybe 150 yds away. I shot it and it dropped. My friend let out a very loud WHOOOPPPEEEEE. Immediate several cows stood up in the sage between us and the deer. I'd just shot over their heads. Elk season wasn't open at the time but they'd have been gimmees. They stood there at about 75 yds for a lot more time than I'd have needed.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,252
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.