Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for a pack to carry a 4 inch revolver concealed underneath/behind a standard size binoculars.
Experiences? Suggestions?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Never thought of it but think it would work well.

Dress with a pair of khaki shorts, tall white socks, goofy hat and a "Bird Watchers of America" t-shirt and the slightly bulky binocs would never get a second glance.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
dont know about wearing a "goofy hat" but i am looking to avoid notice in the National Parks and wrap around bucket seats of my Jeep make my normal kidney carry and jacket problematic

Last edited by 65Jeffrey; 04/08/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey
dont know about wearing a "goofy hat" but i am looking to avoid notice in the National Parks and wrap around bucket seats of my Jeep make my normal kidney carry and jacket problematic

It is LEGAL for you to carry a firearm in National Parks.

Avoid "notice" by NOT discharging said firearm. THAT is NOT legal.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There is a rumor going around that these work.
HPG Kit Bag

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i was looking at those but never talked to anyone put alot of miles on....hows the venting between back side of pack and your chest?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just a intriguing idea. Also wonder if you could hollow out an old large frame camera and conceal a small semiautomatic in it.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
small automatic i"ll drop in a pocket, Im talking 4 inch 44 revolver for bear protection kinda thing. Usually and frequently still do carry on my hip under a jacket but with new wrap around jeep seats i need to come off my belt

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the HPG Recon, as well as the Snubby Recon. A 4" Ruger GP100 fits in the Recon, but not the Snubby. There is no venting between the bag and your chest if you have it pulled tight to your body, so it does get a bit sweaty in warm weather.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks, thats the kinda "real" experience thats valuable

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, if it is warm, you'll probably be pretty sweaty. Also, heavy binos and a revolver will concentrate the pressure of the cylinder on your ribs/sternum in some cases. Not bad, just something to be aware of.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just toss the pisto(not revolver) in the mesh back on the AGC. It holds the pack off, so ya don't get sweatty....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Closest thing I've seen is Eberlestock's Nosegunner that would have to be modified to conceal your pistol completely. I don't think it would be to hard to ad a lid for the pistol compartment. A few bino packs have mole loops that you could possibly hang an HPG kitbag from.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I just toss the pisto(not revolver) in the mesh back on the AGC. It holds the pack off, so ya don't get sweatty....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I've started doing the same.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The HPG kit bag is probably your best choice. Mine is the Recon version and I did exactly as you're describing while in Glacier a couple years ago. G29 in the rear pouch and binos in the front, no one had a clue I was carrying. You will sweat but that's unavoidable. Also, the cylinder may dig into your sternum, but your build and amount of clothing could make that a non-issue.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I use a HPG bag a lot for carry and while hunting. When hunting I wear bino's over the HPG with a Rick Young bino harness/cover. It works very well for me. If it's hot I will sweat, but I'm going to do that anyhow. One thing I like about wearing the bino's over the HPG is it offsets the bino's from my body a bit. I've had the bino's fog when against my body if I had the lenses uncovered.

I use the HPG way more than I ever thought I would. It's just so handy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the kit bag. It has become one of my favorite pieces of gear, not just for the ability to carry a gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sexy but for years I’ve layered an old M3 or M7 (revolver or auto) under my Kuiu bino harness. Fits my 4” S&W 19 nicely in a modified horizontal position. I’ve only used it on rattlers.

I have one of the older HPG chest rigs too but I end up stashing too much into it so I don’t use it much. Well built & no complaints about the bag, just doesn’t suit my needs as I tend to be a minimalist.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 04/09/21.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey

It is LEGAL for you to carry a firearm in National Parks.

I don't believe that was the question. I'm with the OP, I don't want people to know if I'm carrying, whether it's legal or not. I like to talk with people I meet on the trail, and most are infinitely more at ease if they don't know I'm carrying a handgun.

And for the people with bad intent that I might have to use it on, it goes without saying that I'm better off with them not knowing I'm carrying. And for park rangers, I'm not into inviting a bunch of questions or scrutiny. Pretty simple.

Another vote for the HPG kit bag, not only for a handgun, but other stuff I want handy. Works really well for fishing gear too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't always feel the need to carry a revolver on my chest, but when I do I carry it in the front zip pocket of a 9" x 10" Fieldline pack that I modified. I removed the shoulder strap from the pack and attached a Crooked Horn bino carrier to it. The carrier keeps it close to my chest and no side to side movement. At times it can get a little warm, but sweat can not reach the gun. I also use the pack for binoculars and/or range finder.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 3,386 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.