Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Found this one in a local pawn shop in the Ft Lauderdale area. Decent price, good condition. No box, but that's not unusual in a pawn shop deal. .44 Magnum, 6 inch barrel. I always wanted this barrel length in a blued revolver.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I liked that Target Grey finish....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice. I didn't know there was a 6".

5 1/2" is a standard length with the Redhawk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great find !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A big Congrats on that for sure.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

and it may be 5.5 inches I'll have to get a rod and a ruler.

Sam......

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Correct

Very nice find

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beautiful gun. Can't wait to see how that one shoots.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice Sam. You don't see many blued ones.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I really regret selling my blued Redhawk.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice. Congrats.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EdM
Nice Sam. You don't see many blued ones.

I could hardly believe my eyes when I spotted this one in the case. It was love at first sight. According to the serial number, it was made in 1995

Last edited by Mannlicher; 04/10/21.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice grab , that may be a keeper .

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ruger makes great revolvers ,good find congrats,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Congrats buddy!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

That's what I have in stainless and 45 Colt.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on a good find. I’ve owned several over the years, and still own three. All mine have been and are stainless steel. Never owned a blued one. I don’t think you’ll regret buying a Redhawk. You might have to do a little trigger work, but once I figured out how to work them I was and am happy with mine. And it will last damn near forever. I had a five and a half inch that I put over 50,000 rounds thru and had no issues. And that was before I learned that I didn’t have to shoot full house loads all the time! I traded it on a rifle and wish I hadn’t.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lastround
Congratulations on a good find. I’ve owned several over the years, and still own three. All mine have been and are stainless steel. Never owned a blued one. I don’t think you’ll regret buying a Redhawk. You might have to do a little trigger work, but once I figured out how to work them I was and am happy with mine. And it will last damn near forever. I had a five and a half inch that I put over 50,000 rounds thru and had no issues. And that was before I learned that I didn’t have to shoot full house loads all the time! I traded it on a rifle and wish I hadn’t.

50K rds and sorry you traded it.

That's saying something.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Local Dirt,
Yes I really do regret getting rid of that Redhawk. As you can imagine, the action was as smooth as silk and it was still very accurate, timing and lockup was still good. Most of the shooting done with that gun was done loading a 250 gr Keith bullet over 21.0 gr of 2400. Probably not over 5% off the bullets that went thru it were jacketed.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Local Dirt,
Yes I really do regret getting rid of that Redhawk. As you can imagine, the action was as smooth as silk and it was still very accurate, timing and lockup was still good. Most of the shooting done with that gun was done loading a 250 gr Keith bullet over 21.0 gr of 2400. Probably not over 5% off the bullets that went thru it were jacketed.

Some may not agree. But, IMHO, that's a heckuva chunk of information there.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I wonder if that strong diet would have worked in a M 29-x over such a long period.

Elmer Keith
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is one handsome iron. Would take my breath away seeing that within arms reach.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5thShock
That is one handsome iron. Would take my breath away seeing that within arms reach.

It is purdy.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

I wonder if that strong diet would have worked in a M 29-x over such a long period.

Elmer,
I think a lot of folks would be surprised how the 29/629’s hold up to a lot of shooting. I think a lot of that myth is way overblown. I like the Smith 44’s too, but prefer the Redhawk for full strength loads due to its weight and bank vault build. I know what they will take over the long haul. But, no flies on the big N-frame Smith’s. I doubt that very many shooters will ever wear out either revolver shooting normal loads.

Doug
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

Elmer,
I think a lot of folks would be surprised how the 29/629’s hold up to a lot of shooting. I think a lot of that myth is way overblown. I like the Smith 44’s too, but prefer the Redhawk for full strength loads due to its weight and bank vault build. I know what they will take over the long haul. But, no flies on the big N-frame Smith’s. I doubt that very many shooters will ever wear out either revolver shooting normal loads.

I can guarantee you it was not a myth. In the late 70's shooting IHMSA I saw quite a few M29's shot loose
Shoot a lot of 240 grain at close to 1400 FPS in a M29 and they will get loose, including skipping

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JWP,
If there is anyone here who would know about such things, you would be one. I appreciate your comments. Didn’t the Smiths become more durable with the changes made in the late eighties? Late 629-3’s and 629-4’s? Sorry, I’m not familiar enough with blued 29’s to know which dash numbers correspond with the enhancement changes.

Doug
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JWP,
If there is anyone here who would know about such things, you would be one. I appreciate your comments. Didn’t the Smiths become more durable with the changes made in the late eighties? Late 629-3’s and 629-4’s? Sorry, I’m not familiar enough with blued 29’s to know which dash numbers correspond with the enhancement changes.
All -4 and above guns have all the necessary enhancements. Some -3's may have everything you need, but you'd have to look at serial numbers and look for the specific improvements on individual guns. IOW, even the serial number method may not work. Stay with -4 and up and you'll be good to go.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
JWP,
All -4 and above guns have all the necessary enhancements. Some -3's may have everything you need, but you'd have to look at serial numbers and look for the specific improvements on individual guns. IOW, even the serial number method may not work. Stay with -4 and up and you'll be good to go.

Mostly. But, even with that in mind, there are some odd balls.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
JWP,

The enhancements do not make the gun stronger, that is determined by the material used. Heat treating can harden a few points, but tensile strength isn't increased.
The larger bolt stops can prevent skipping, but few factory loads are over 1240 FPS today for 240 grain bullets. Back in the day 1400 plus FPS was common place

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do think that very few folks shoot enough to wear a Smith out, but I definitely think the Redhawk will outlast one.

Doug
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
JWP,

No one knew the M29 short comings until IHMSA. The M29 was a favorite in the beginning but, as issues arose the Rugat SB begin to replace M29's on the line.

Just shooting enough to stay proficient and hunting will not weat out a M29 in my experience

I've shot a lot of 50,000 PSI loads in a 44 mag Redhawk with zero issues.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have gone back and checked some records on the above mentioned 5.5 inch Redhawk. It was one of the early 5.5” guns to hit a local gun shop, probably 1984 or 1985. As it was the only 44 magnum that I owned at the time, I shot it a lot. Soon after it’s purchase, I started casting my own bullets with a Lyman 429421 mold and that bullet became the bulk of my shooting. I generally shot three to four hundred rounds a week whenever the weather allowed. I traded the gun for a Ruger M77 MkII rifle in 1994. My rounds fired count is an estimate over that period of time but seems to be realistic to me considering how much I shot. I may be off a little, but not by much. I also soon bought another Redhawk, a 7.5 inch, which I have shot a lot, and still own. I like my Redhawks.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have killed three firearms through over use in my life. In all cases, I didn't blame the gun. In point of fact, I had a lot of pride in the fact that I actually wore out a firearm beyond reasonable economic repair. What did I do about it? I just went out and bought a new gun. I sure the hell didn't buy a gun I liked less because I perceived it might last a little longer.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I've chambered 2 Redhawks t I 454 and shot full power factory 454 ammo in them. Redhawks are very strong

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Buy a 45 Colt Redhawk in your preferred barrel length and the cheapest 454 Super Redhawk you can locate. Disassemble both and swap the cylinders and viola! You have yourself a 454 Redhawk.

Yes I’ve done it and yes it works. If a guy is lacking scruples the Super can be sent back to Ruger for a replacement cylinder, I never did but know someone who did.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
found a 7.5 inch stainless with 2 Mag-na-port 'ports in it and Wilson Combat engraved on barrel. Fantastic trigger! Anyone know specifically what Wilson did to it?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Love those blue revolvers! Ruger has a few blue sp101’s out but only in the 2.25” barrel. If they made those with the 3” Barrel, I would have to get one.
Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first new revolver was a 7½" blued Redhawk in 44 Magnum. I had been wanting a 6" stainless GP100 in .357, but the owner of the LGS offered me the Redhawk at a price I couldn't refuse,...$340 plus tax, including rings. That was in around 1994 and I still have it. I always liked the looks of the 5½" model a little better.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
new pants showed up today. Galco leather.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Very nice holster.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.