Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
The 9.3x62 has been on my bucket list. I'd like to know from someone who shoots that cartridge loaded with 286 gr. bullets out of a T3X Hunter if the rifle weight seems too light or not for that cartridge. Spec's say the rifle out of the box is around ~6.5 lbs, so I figure all up loaded and wearing a scope is likely a touch over 7 lbs? How is it for off-hand shooting?

As a point of reference my H&H all up weighs a bit over 9 lbs and is a joy shooting the 300's and 350 grainers.

To muddy things up a bit, I recently learned my grandad's custom '06 built back in the 50's on a Springfield action may be coming my way soon. I recall that rifle easily weighing 9 lbs, so I'm also entertaining the idea of doing either a rebore or a rebarrel of that rifle.

Decisions, decisions....

Pud

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
GB1

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
HMMMMM

A modern rifle that can pretty much be guarantied to shoot well vs. a 50s classic with panache...….

My T3x 30-06 is around 7.5lbs with a Leopold 2.5-8 which is about as light as I want a 30-06. I would think that the 9.3 might have a bit heavier barrel and limbsaver offers a direct fit recoil pad that works. Not helping am I?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I can’t comment on the Tikka in 9.3, but I do have a Ruger Safari in 9.3x62 and it’s not overly heavy and shoots lights out with 286 grainers. Recoil is not bad at all, less than my Winchester 375 H&H for sure and a lot lighter as well. Not sure this helps, but that’s my experience.

NRA Endowment Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a t3 in 338-06 and it was bored out from a 30-06. It felt a half pound lighter than my t3 in 6.5x55. I shot mostly 250gr bullets out of it. I had the limbsaver on it. Was not bad at all recoil wise. However, i find the same setup in 30-06 to be a very light recoiling rifle. I would put the limbsaver on it and you should be fine. If you actually find one of these in stock, let me know, I’d like to have one.

V
V
Kevin Robertson (Doctari) recommends that a 9,3x62 should weigh 10 pounds. So I had my custom 9,3 built to that weight all up. It is so beautifully balanced that I do not notice the weight despite being nearly 70 years old.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Puddle
The 9.3x62 has been on my bucket list. I'd like to know from someone who shoots that cartridge loaded with 286 gr. bullets out of a T3X Hunter if the rifle weight seems too light or not for that cartridge. Spec's say the rifle out of the box is around ~6.5 lbs, so I figure all up loaded and wearing a scope is likely a touch over 7 lbs? How is it for off-hand shooting?

As a point of reference my H&H all up weighs a bit over 9 lbs and is a joy shooting the 300's and 350 grainers.

To muddy things up a bit, I recently learned my grandad's custom '06 built back in the 50's on a Springfield action may be coming my way soon. I recall that rifle easily weighing 9 lbs, so I'm also entertaining the idea of doing either a rebore or a rebarrel of that rifle.

Decisions, decisions....

Pud

You mean something like this?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is a 300WSM, which has more recoil than a 9.3x62mm. I've shot this one 50 times in a range trip. Recoil is not horrible, but I'd suggest a limb saver recoil pad. The t3x recoil pad is much better than the old t3, but the limbsaver is a step above the factory t3x pad. You'll like that 9.3x62mm at this weight. It will be much better for packing around in the field. Not quite as comfortable off the bench as a 10 pound rifle, but still quite manageable..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
No doubt a 9.3x62 that light would be a handful, not something I would especially look forward to.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
No doubt a 9.3x62 that light would be a handful, not something I would especially look forward to.

It would be a puzzy cat. Not as bad as the 300WSM I posted a pic above. And that one isn't even that bad..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Yea, based on my H&H's weight I'm leaning more towards a rebore. I've read Kevin Robertson's recommendation on rifle weight for the 9.3, but my 9 lb H&H is a sweetheart to shoot offhand.

I'm gonna give JES a call to discuss the particulars of the donor '06 and see if it's a good candidate for a rebore.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The rebore option with what you have sounds like a great plan to me.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My 8 lb 9.3x62 is pretty mild.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TX35W

Is that all up weight with scope? A 7 pound 9.3x62mm without scope wouldn't be bad. Guys act like the 9.3 kicks like a mule. Sadly it doesn't. It's basically a 30-06 necked up to 36 caliber. You do the math. I've had one and it was mild mannered. Nothing like a 300wm or the like. Its not a magnum guys. It can be put into a light rifle and be quite handy....

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Is that all up weight with scope? A 7 pound 9.3x62mm without scope wouldn't be bad. Guys act like the 9.3 kicks like a mule. Sadly it doesn't. It's basically a 30-06 necked up to 36 caliber. You do the math. I've had one and it was mild mannered. Nothing like a 300wm or the like. Its not a magnum guys. It can be put into a light rifle and be quite handy....

Well that 59.0gr load of rl15 is pretty anemic. Now try 65.5gr of big game with a 286. Tends to wake up the 9.3x62. This is load data that muledeer has posted in the past. I used it the 286gr TSX and 285gr PPU bullets.

Last edited by 79S; 04/21/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Well that 59.0gr load of rl15 is pretty anemic. Now try 65.5gr of big game with a 286. Tends to wake up the 9.3x62. This is load data from muledeer.

It gets the job done. Fu ck mule deer...

58.5gr is max in the Nosler book and it works just fine.. Maybe you should rethink a few things..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Well that 59.0gr load of rl15 is pretty anemic. Now try 65.5gr of big game with a 286. Tends to wake up the 9.3x62. This is load data from muledeer.

It gets the job done. Fu ck mule deer...

Dang what muledeer do to you..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If a guy wants a lightweight Tikka T3x, he can benefit from using a load like what I posted above. Excellent accuracy and a known proven killer. I actually shot that load out to 400 yards with excellent accuracy. Why shoot a load of 65gr's of powder when a load like the one shown above is a puzzy cat, accurate and deadly killer as far out as the 9.3x62mm is capable of? Anyone that says it is not capable, has no clue or has never used a 9.3x62mm...

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
BSA, are you sensitive or just a douche? John Barsness modernized the 9.3x62 by showing what it could do with perfect safety when loaded to modern pressures. He’s likely a large part of the reason for its increasing popularity. If you want to stick with traditional pressures, go ahead, it’s a free country and lots of stuff got killed over the years with those loads. But spare us the drama of your emotions about how others choose to load their 9.3s.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a guy wants a lightweight Tikka T3x, he can benefit from using a load like what I posted above. Excellent accuracy and a known proven killer. I actually shot that load out to 400 yards with excellent accuracy. Why shoot a load of 65gr's of powder when a load like the one shown above is a puzzy cat, accurate and deadly killer as far out as the 9.3x62mm is capable of? Anyone that says it is not capable, has no clue or has never used a 9.3x62mm...

well their is this fella you might know him he’s alway fussing about powder and it metering. Well let me tell you big game meters like butter. RL15 doesn’t meter like big game.. Besides I have a bunch biggame and use my RL15 for my 375 H&H. 74.5gr RL 15. Fed 215 and 300gr tsx

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 04/21/21.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail
BSA, are you sensitive or just a douche? John Barsness modernized the 9.3x62 by showing what it could do with perfect safety when loaded to modern pressures. He’s likely a large part of the reason for its increasing popularity. If you want to stick with traditional pressures, go ahead, it’s a free country and lots of stuff got killed over the years with those loads. But spare us the drama of your emotions about how others choose to load their 9.3s.

Im 99% sure Muledeer took his 9.3x62 to Africa killed several animals with that big game load.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pretty much just a douche. He really wants to be relevant.

An idiot from Oregon? Or a respected hunter/writer with more than one kill with a cartridge?

Originally Posted by pabucktail
BSA, are you sensitive or just a douche?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (300_savage, 01Foreman400, 257robertsimp, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,153 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,236
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.