Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, it's a click bait title. wink

Anyway, here is an interesting study done showing the cleanliness of oil on the first service oil change of motorcycles from various manufacturers. Except for China - they really do make total crap - the results are kind of surprising, particular the Royal Enfields from the new plant in India. Worth the 7 1/2 minutes if one is interested in this kind of thing.

*** Spoiler below video ***

For those that like spoilers, here are the results ranked from cleanest to dirtiest oil:
1. Royal Enfield
2. BMW
3. KTM
4. Yamaha
5. Kawasaki
6. Honda
7. Triumph
8. Suzuki
9. Harley Davidson
10. Aprilia
11. Ducati
12. Yin Xiang - these suck ass in a major way

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Royal Enfield oil is clean because you have to replace all the oil that leaks out every 100 miles.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/08/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would be an interesting study to do on new 1/2 ton trucks.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slightly off topic but I watch a youtube channel called Project Farm

This guy does alot of tests in regards to oil.

The one I recently watched he took a 30 year old motor oil called Arco that had graphite in it and compared it to modern Quaker state oil.

The Quaker State was superior in cold starting, but did not contain wear additives and was inferior to engine protection (except in cold starts) than the 30 year old oil with graphite. The Quaker State also resulted in a run time of 44 minutes and 30 seconds versus 44 minutes and 10 seconds on a motor test, so the claims of increased fuel efficiency , at least compared to 30 year old motor oil are true, not so much for engine wear. The older oil did have a noticeable evaporation compared to the modern oil which might lead to a discussion on modern motors not burning as much oil as older motors when the oil is the actual differentiator.

Then he took modern oil - I can't remember which - but it wasn't Quaker State and added graphite to it.

It increased compression in the test motor by 15 PSI - which would kind of lead you to believe that adding graphite to modern oil would give you the best of both worlds, but when he took the head off the pistons, heads, everything was coated in an oil graphite mixture. That might be a good thing, I don't know

Anyways, it was interesting to watch. I believe that adding a table spoon of graphite to your oil in an older lawn mower engine is probably more good than bad based on his tests.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/08/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I must have missed the part where it was indicated they all used the same lube so that one very big variable wouldn't be a player.

I.E. the worst oil in the best engine is likely to skew results.

Actually, the test meant even less when I think more about it. Different riders on each unit not likely even 2 of them would treat an engine the same, warmups, shift intervals, etc. etc.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting study. I would not take the results seriously. The obvious gets in the way too often. I have a KTM 400 xcw that would paint the oil black in less than 100 miles. The similar Honda engines would go 10 - 20 times farther before oil staining. The problem with the KTM was a solid cast iron oil control ring stolen from Porsche engine designs. The KTM oil control ring was much, much softer than the rough nikasil cylinder coating. The problem of the rough nicasil and the butter ring would have the KTM worn out in less than 25 hours. I fixed the KTM design problem by switching to a Woessner piston with three-piece automotive oil control ring. I installed the Woessner piston and ring on a worn smooth nikasil bore. It took longer to break in but, the result was good. My KTM will match the similar Honda engine for initial oil staining.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunzo
I must have missed the part where it was indicated they all used the same lube so that one very big variable wouldn't be a player.

I.E. the worst oil in the best engine is likely to skew results.

Actually, the test meant even less when I think more about it. Different riders on each unit not likely even 2 of them would treat an engine the same, warmups, shift intervals, etc. etc.

Add in the fact that different bikes have different engine speed ranges..
BOWs tend to be lower revving bikes than ducatis and Japanese sport bikes...

At least from the auto side current BMW auto engines have much tighter tolerances than older ones...
And of course modern cold-hot viscosity oils are supposedly better for the close tolerances...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by KFWA
The Royal Enfield oil is clean because you have to replace all the oil that leaks out every 100 miles.

You know why the British where never known for building computers?

They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

What does leaking oil in a Harley tell you?
It still has pull in it.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wonder what was in the respective filters?

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ringworm

It still has pull in it.

I realize Harley had oil problems in the past, but my 2009 Lowrider doesn't use hardly any, and leaks zero. 24,000 plus miles on it, so it isn't super low mileage, either. Really does very well for an air cooled motor .

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

You know why the British where never known for building computers?

They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.

From the Germans:

Lucas parts are Bosch parts that failed final inspection.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by benchman

It still has pull in it.

I realize Harley had oil problems in the past, but my 2009 Lowrider doesn't use hardly any, and leaks zero. 24,000 plus miles on it, so it isn't super low mileage, either. Really does very well for an air cooled motor .
None of the HDs I've had since '05 have leaked so much as a drop...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The whole "Harleys leak oil" thing as a general rule basically stopped with the introduction of the Evo.

That was 1984. It's been a while....

That said - had a TC and 2 different M8's - zero issues.

Me

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Yeah, it's a click bait title. wink

Anyway, here is an interesting study done showing the cleanliness of oil on the first service oil change of motorcycles from various manufacturers. Except for China - they really do make total crap - the results are kind of surprising, particular the Royal Enfields from the new plant in India. Worth the 7 1/2 minutes if one is interested in this kind of thing.

*** Spoiler below video ***

For those that like spoilers, here are the results ranked from cleanest to dirtiest oil:
1. Royal Enfield
2. BMW
3. KTM
4. Yamaha
5. Kawasaki
6. Honda
7. Triumph
8. Suzuki
9. Harley Davidson
10. Aprilia
11. Ducati
12. Yin Xiang - these suck ass in a major way

That fellow is an amusing presenter...I enjoyed that.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Air filtration plays a MAJOR part in oil cleanliness. Every gulp of air is stuffed into the oiled hole and compressed.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My first oil change on my TW200 was an eye opener. There were chunks in it. Second oil change 500 miles later more of same but less
3rd oil change was clean as new oil

Regardless all the non- scientific things about it. It speaks volumes for Royal Enfield and Chinese...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by benchman

It still has pull in it.

None of the HDs I've had since '05 have leaked so much as a drop...

There’s three of em sitting in the basement. Not an oil stain under any of them. While that might have been true about them leaking oil 80 years ago, it doesn’t seem to be a problem with the ones they’ve built this century.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
My '76 IronHead leaks a bit.....normal sprocket shaft seal/gasket situation. Poor mans drive chain luber.

My '05 FLHT don't.....normal.

GOA
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I like Harleys, but you don't have to go back 80 years for bad oil leaks, just look back to the 70's to early 80's when AMF had HD. I remember going to Stubbs Suzuki/Harley in Houston in 81 and all the new Harleys on the floor had oil stained cardboad under them. Harley has made quantum leaps since then!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
639 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,835 guests, and 1,426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.