Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
For the last several years while likely future ban items were cheap that has been the focus of my collecting and still is when I see something on my want list reasonably priced along with four NFA items sitting in NFA jail now. At heart and soul what I really love collecting and shooting are nice classic blued steel and walnut guns. I hope to get back to more of that soon. I’d like to put a Colt Gold Cup Series 70 in the safe along with a Colt Gen two SAA and an original S&W 586, a pre war model 70 chambered in 300 H&H Mag, and a couple of JM stamped Marlins chambered in either .357 or 44 Mag and a 45/70 Gov. The fun of collecting to me is that never ending want list and making progress towards that never finished list.

I've got the prewar Winchester Model 70 covered with a really nice specimen, but not in .300 Magnum. Mine's in .30-06. Also, like the Government Model, totally unmessed with. No scope ever mounted on it. No mods whatsoever. In great condition, too. Love that gun.

The phrase they “don’t make em like they used to” was invented for such guns.

BP-B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice Colt. This one below was just given to me by my BFF. We walked a footbeat together on Hollywood Blvd and later on spent a year in Iraq in the same Reserve unit. He knew I liked Colt .45s and gave me this one. Said he had plenty.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Here is a 1994 Colt Commander that has many not stock parts and I have shot and shot. It was a mutt inside when I got it in 1999 for $400. Then I started messing with it.

[Linked Image]

I have plotted force vs distance in opening the slide after my recoil spring changes for 45 super.
Note the hysteresis loop due to friction.

[Linked Image]

Here is a 1974 Colt that has never been fired.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
Nice Colt. This one below was just given to me by my BFF. We walked a footbeat together on Hollywood Blvd and later on spent a year in Iraq in the same Reserve unit. He knew I liked Colt .45s and gave me this one. Said he had plenty.
Bob

Wow! Very nice. When was it made?

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I love my 1911 I never shoot it much though, time to change my ways.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

'73 or '74. I have the original stocks and the split collet bushing put away. It groups TZZ lot #007 quite well at 20 yards.
Bob

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

'73 or '74. I have the original stocks and the split collet bushing put away. It groups TZZ lot #007 quite well at 20 yards.
Bob

I had a Series 70 back in the 1980s. Wish I hadn't sold it in the early 1990s.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To the OP. What a sweet 1911. You should treasure it. If it were mine, I think I'd be on the prowl for a pre-war commercial ACE to complement it.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the ivory grips are worth?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
"For all I know, those grips are worth about as much as the gun at this point."

You might also be able to say the same thing about the pictured 50-round box of Remington hardball, lol.

Nice pistol!

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DMc
To the OP. What a sweet 1911. You should treasure it. If it were mine, I think I'd be on the prowl for a pre-war commercial ACE to complement it.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the ivory grips are worth?

I’ve seen some ridiculous prices for pre-ban ivory grips.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a real sweetheart. It's never been messed with in any way since it came from the Colt factory in the early to middle 1960s, when, as the Scottish say, I was but a wee lad.

It was apparently taken off a criminal in the middle Two-Thousands, because it was sold by the Sheriff's Department to the gun store down the street at that time. I saw it as it was being unboxed right off the truck with all the other confiscated guns from the Sheriff's Department that the gun store had just purchased, and when I saw it, I told the clerk (whom I'd known for a few years at that time) that I wanted that one, so he set it aside, and later we worked out a price. The price was excellent, as I recall, but I cannot remember what it was, exactly. Seems like it was around $600.00, though.

It came with the original hard rubber factory Colt grips (which I still have), but I took them off pretty quick for some nice Cocobolo, double diamond, checkered ones. Recently, It's been sporting these real elephant ivory grips that I purchased many years ago, back when it was still legal to import the stuff to the US. For all I know, those grips are worth about as much as the gun at this point.

[Linked Image]

That's a real beaut' TRH. Does it bite the web of your hand? I have a Series 70 MK IV that draws blood on me.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Very nice. I have a model 1918 Colt 1911 and you're correct. The sights are "crude" at best - I can hardly see them anymore.

Do you mean the Colt replica of the 1918, or an original 1918? Both would be cool.

Original.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It carries great IWB in my El Paso Saddlery C-Force holster. I can carry it comfortably all day in that holster, in combination with my Galco SB2 gun belt.

Do you like the open end (muzzle) of that holster? I prefer a closed end.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice Colt there Hawkeye !

I love the rollmarks on that era Colt.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful Colt you have there, one of the nicest I've seen!

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
gorg gun

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice pistol TRH.

Love the Colt blue jobs from that time.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

That's a real beaut' TRH. Does it bite the web of your hand? I have a Series 70 MK IV that draws blood on me.

Thanks.

After running all that ammo through it, the top web of my right hand had a little abrasion to it, but no blood.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by High_Noon
It carries great IWB in my El Paso Saddlery C-Force holster. I can carry it comfortably all day in that holster, in combination with my Galco SB2 gun belt.

Do you like the open end (muzzle) of that holster? I prefer a closed end.

Doesn't bother me. In fact, it does what it's designed to do, which is to allow lint and dust to drop free rather than accumulate. What do you have against an open end?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 3,098 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.