Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yes I've done the .223 blue dot loads. I think I am just looking for a new itch to scratch.

BP-B6

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Not sure why the 222 has not been mentioned yet, esp if handloading is involved.

It would be perfect for this.

+1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by davet
I live in a rural setting, looking for something more than a .22lr for 40lb and smaller varmints and pests.

.22WMR or .22 Hornet?

Which is the better option for 125 yards and under?

I would intend to plink with this rifle as well as having it close to the back patio for everything from crows to unwiley coyotes.

Vudoo 22LR for me,if only because I've shot or got everything else cited.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've become a big fan of the 17 Hornet with 20 grain V-MAX bullets.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Sorry to say, yet you may need to ask What ammo are you able to find these days? I am a fan of the following these days 223 for ammo availability. 221 fireball due it is a great cartridge for intended purpose & I reload. 22 Hornet as it may do well for intended purpose. Good luck finding ammo or components for much of anything in recent times.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 04/08/21.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dangle some pics of these wares. Hint. LAUGHING!

BIG Vudoo here,but only have a couple more. Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you were only plinking a .22LR would make a lot of sense. It will also do for small game, like rabbits an such, though 125 yards is further away than I would plan to shoot them, because you really don't have anything in reserve and at that range wind and trajectory are against you. As a rabbit rifle out to 90 -100 yards though they are the business. On bigger stuff, like foxes, I've found that you really need to hit the butt of the ear to have reliable kills, so that is the limiting factor in terms of range. Shooting thousands of rounds at rocks though, this would be the calibre to choose.

A Hornet fills the bill for animals up to 40 lbs very handsomely, out to well past 125 yards if required. I've dropped pigs with it too, with a well-placed shot. They use very little propellant and you have the advantage of being able to choose a fair range of projectiles. Mine and others I've used have been very accurate and they are easy to shoot. I like this calibre.

The .22 Mag has never particularly appealed to me, mainly because a Hornet can do everything the .22 Mag can do and more. The ones I've tried have been less than impressive in accuracy too. I guess if you don't handload though, the ammo is cheaper.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
+1 for the hornet

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just "happen" to shoot a "few" Hornets and K-Hornets,amongst a schit load of others...all of which are exemplary. Hint.

Pass the Vudoo,despite CLUELESS Fhuqking Dissenters who've never even fhuqking seen one. Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
<yawn>

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SuperCub
<yawn>

Another multiple choice question “A” or “B” and here come the Campfire wizards with “C”

It is amazing any of you that answered “C” ever finished 3rd grade. And of course Stick never even went to school.

The answer is easily “B” the Hornet

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntRun,

Pardon my simply teaching the class,as you Lick Windows. Hint. Laughing!

You'll haveta' excuse my having the COMPLETE Alphabet,at my immediate disposal,while you Google same. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Keep it up you meth headed clown. It’s 2:00 AM in Alaska and you are on a computer making funny stories with your clueless swamp garbage and potty mouth tryin to figure out how to spell cuss words.

Try going to school and staying away from meth and your spelling will improve and your comprehension skills will develop to where you will have more than a 4 word vocabulary with all your derogatory words enunciated by years of abuse and avoiding any sort of actual mind development.

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntRun,

I'm tying leaders as 110 Sugars tumble in moly and Virgins await my press...while you Google Fhuqktardom and "get" to live same,you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Feel free to extoll on your Whining Brokedicktitude,as you TRY to "talk" about wares welllllllllll beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for Lying and Trying your Best,you CLUELESS Kchunt.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have always been skeptical of the philosophy of some that say “if you put enough monkeys in a room with enough keyboards, one will write a paragraph” but it is certain that you have proved me wrong.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntRun,

You be SURE to "explain" your Drooling Brokedicktitude,in the manner which suits your Emotions BEST...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Oooopsie! Hint. LAUGHING!

Feel free to extoll on your Whining Brokedicktitude,as you TRY to "talk" about wares welllllllllll beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for Lying and Trying your Best,you CLUELESS Kchunt.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Is anyone else's computer still messing up after campfire's server crash?

in the post above, all I see is a picture of someone's messy counter space, and then for verbage all I see is " blahblahblah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah, burp, Phddt, blah blah blah blah..." ( blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ). !!!!!!!!! ???????????

Burp, hiccup, fart.....Drool...

WTH is going on now??

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
KchuntRun,

Pardon my simply teaching the class,as you Lick Windows. Hint. Laughing!

You'll haveta' excuse my having the COMPLETE Alphabet,at my immediate disposal,while you Google same. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

Stick, if you didn't keep photographing your rifles in the creek, you wouldn't have that rusting issue.
LAUGHING!

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire,

You couldn't afford a down payment,on 50 pieces of Hornet brass...you "lucky" kchunt.

Luckily for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for doing your best.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
As painful as it is to agree with Blackheart.....

Originally Posted by Blackheart
A .223 will kill the shyt out of varmints out to 125 yards.... And way beyond. If you don't reload .223 ammo is more widely available and cheaper than .22 Hornet and there is also a much wider variety of .223 rifles available.. If you do reload there's a .22 Hornet inside every .223 if you wish to down load it to that performance level..

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.