Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
^^^^^^^^ This

Let the air out of them and they go right down!

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Both work I prefer the Barnes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I killed a cow elk at 200 yards with a .308 shooting a 165 SBT with 45.5 grains of Varget at 2810 fps using IMI Match brass and GM210M.
Heart shot at 200 yards. The Sierra 165 SBT did break the front right leg before passing through the heart. The cow elk stood there for a moment turned 180* then fell over. I had sighted in the day before at 200 yards.

Shot placement. Shot placement.

Last edited by Reba; 04/08/21.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Your Sierra performed on the cow - great news. Once in a while that leg bone will stop or fragment the softer bullets, the mono Barnes breaks the shoulder every time & keeps going into the vitals. I only had one fragment on a good sized bull, once was enough - he made it about 600 yard before dying - lots of snow left a trail anyone could follow but could have gone off public or been shot by another Hunter in that distance.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Either will work, pick the one you have the most of and continue to practice. Scouting and getting in shape matter far more than the bullet.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
G
If your a reloader and don’t mind spending $$ for a premium bullet than I would check out the “absolute hammer” from Hammer bullets. I hunt elk with the 308 and never had a problem killing elk with the round. My go to load up until last yr was a 168ttsx. However, I experimented last fall with the 162AH from Hammer and I was very,very impressed with the #’s and accuracy I was getting with this bullet. Terminal performance on eastern white tails was impressive as well, only 2 samples but exactly what I anticipated under the shot conditions.. It’s worth a look at the website, this bullet certainly has worked for me and I hope to shoot an elk with it this fall.

There is certainly nothing wrong with my 168ttsx load, I just like to tinker with other loads. The claims they make about this bullet on the website I have found to be valid.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by specneeds
Your Sierra performed on the cow - great news. Once in a while that leg bone will stop or fragment the softer bullets, the mono Barnes breaks the shoulder every time & keeps going into the vitals. I only had one fragment on a good sized bull, once was enough - he made it about 600 yard before dying - lots of snow left a trail anyone could follow but could have gone off public or been shot by another Hunter in that distance.

I agree 100%

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Either

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Either

Exactly. I'd probably lean more towards the one that shot better though. In my case, it would be a hard decision:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

New "to me" rifle, still under load development..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve said this several times before as it keeps coming up. My daughter from age 12-16 killed two bulls and two cows with a 308 and 150 grain federal soft points. They all died very quickly. One of her bulls she broke both shoulders. Separate shots from each side.

Her sample size may be stuck at 4 though. She killed her elk this year with my 300 win mag and 200 partitions. 😀

I doubt she weighs 115, full fed.

Last edited by Ralphie; 04/09/21.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I’ve said this several times before as it keeps coming up. My daughter from age 12-16 killed two bulls and two cows with a 308 and 150 grain federal soft points. They all died very quickly. One of her bulls she broke both shoulders. Separate shots from each side.

Her sample size may be stuck at 4 though. She killed her elk this year with my 300 win mag and 200 partitions. 😀

I doubt she weighs 115, full fed.

Sounds like she did just fine with the 308 loaded with federals. She will probably go back to that after firing off the 300wm. The WM always seemed to be too punishing as far as recoil is concerned. I'd rather shoot my 338wm. Do your daughter a favor and switch her back to that 308win...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow that is interesting advice - “quit that corvette little lady it’s too much car for you, Get a Corolla it suits a woman better”

I trained a 120 lb woman for one of those TV hunting shows - she handled my lightweight 375H&H like it was a quail gun. Women can handle recoil if they choose to quite nicely. For deer the difference is minimal but for elk I’ll take the 300 magnum over a 308 every time. Why pass on and elk because you don’t have the horsepower or bullet to do the job? Elk hunting is challenging enough without unnecessary limitations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow that is interesting advice - “quit that corvette little lady it’s too much car for you, Get a Corolla it suits a woman better”

I trained a 120 lb woman for one of those TV hunting shows - she handled my lightweight 375H&H like it was a quail gun. Women can handle recoil if they choose to quite nicely. For deer the difference is minimal but for elk I’ll take the 300 magnum over a 308 every time. Why pass on and elk because you don’t have the horsepower or bullet to do the job? Elk hunting is challenging enough without unnecessary limitations.

+1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

+1

You guys are fu cking idiots. There are plenty here that know a 308win will kill an elk with little effort. It all boils down to shot placement and bullet you use. Its funny because you paint a picture like the 308win worked wonderfully for your daughter, then you switch her to something bigger. How much does your daughter want to practice with that 300wm? Enough to be proficient with it? You agreeing with numb nuts makes you look pretty stupid/ignorant..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Doesn't Ralphie guide for elk? Not that a .308 won't work, but I don't believe I'd call a guide an idiot because he has a different opinion on of all subjects, elk cartridges.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As long as there are choices in elk rifle cartridges there will be gobs of opinions. Some dead nuts on, others wing nuts, and more than a few numb nuts.....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
First let me say I have no objection as to what legal minimum you use up through whatever you wish to use. I have never had to shoot further than 225 yards to kill elk and have shot inside of 125 yards. Have used 338 Win Mag (250gr Hawk SP at 2,650 fps) 444 Marlin (280gr older CorBon SPX at 2,250 fps) and 308 Win (165gr NPT at 2,775 fps). Most of my bull elk were encountered in heavy timber and dead fall in late season Nov. Colorado hunts. The 308 Win works very well out to 300-350 yards and I would classify it as the greater precision weapon over the other two and many others based on accuracy, recoil, barrel length, rifle weight as well as getting predictable bullet performance up close and far away. The 300 Win Mag is less predictable, especially at close range with the speed it travels, but then again it’s all about the bullet. Many will sing the praises of a mono bullet for the 300, but then again passing a mono through an elk at short range doesn’t always work better than a 308 Win with even a cup and core or bonded core bullet. In a way the 308 Win is more predictable and versatile with bullet designs than the 300 Win Mag. Shooting a 308 Win with mono will do about the same thing as the Win 300 at 250 yards or so. To each his own, I suppose if I was always shooting at 400 yards and beyond the 300 Win Mag would make more sense, but that has not been my experience. Only one man’s experience and opinion.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I guess I was seeing the 308win as a Corvette...
:-)

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You commenting on anything about killing is comical. Wasn’t long ago, you were talking sh it about anyone using a short action cartridge.

Until someone has a question regarding best staple guns, target backers, targets or sharpies, stay in the corner while the adults are talking.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

+1

You guys are fu cking idiots. There are plenty here that know a 308win will kill an elk with little effort. It all boils down to shot placement and bullet you use. Its funny because you paint a picture like the 308win worked wonderfully for your daughter, then you switch her to something bigger. How much does your daughter want to practice with that 300wm? Enough to be proficient with it? You agreeing with numb nuts makes you look pretty stupid/ignorant..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

+1

Actually I think they both will kill cleanly. Yes I think the 300 is more capable than the 308 and yes I think my daughter shoots it fine. She hit the cow twice (she only fired twice) at 306 yards prone across my backpack. First shot was broadside second was frontal. Both were on the money.Also she wanted to kill an elk with my rifle. Because it’s “dad’s.”

I know quite a few people don’t like shooting 300s. That’s fine. It doesn’t mean some don’t mind it. I used to spend quite a bit of time at a public range shooting 300 magnums. Some of the range officers felt just like you apparently do about them. “A 300 WEATHERBY! Nobody needs a 300 weatherby.” Age, body type, experience, health, injuries probably all impact tolerance. And tolerance changes too. If someone is more comfortable with a 308 then have at it. I’ve killed them with a 308, my daughter has, no biggie. Do I feel more confident for a wider variety of shots with my 300 and 200 NPs yes.

I actually think recoil gets blamed more often than it should and just crappy shooting no matter the recoil is more often the problem.

I should probably apologize to the OP, I’m probably responsible for this rabbit hole.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.