K
Me too....

Maybe we could get a group buy on 6mm blanks...lol

BP-B2

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Scotty, Oh my sample size of Hawk Hill is only 3 so far. Each has been a hammer though with a variety of bullets in each. Lot of good barrels out there, but I do like their #2 contour a lot and imagine it will be great on here. Got to get action bought in next couple of days. Headed Nucleus for that. Not sure it'll all be done for fall as not sure how far out McMillan is these days. If it is thinking the wife may be using this one some too.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Me too....

Maybe we could get a group buy on 6mm blanks...lol

Hawk is only out about 12 weeks. And Lilja actually has some 8 twist in stock.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Kurt. I probably should give them a shout one of these days. I’ve heard nothing but great things from them. I’ve been a Krieger and a little bit of a Bartlein guy mostly but the Hawk Hill seems pretty nice as well.

McMillan has been under a month on my last couple so maybe you’ll get lucky with it. I like the sounds of it though. I’m about to air out the little ARC in an AR but the 6x45 is really an easy button with all of the brass available.

Semper Fi
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We'll see shortly. Neat thing is, I can swap bolt heads and ream barrel to 6 creedmoor for pretty damn cheap if I decide to. Not thinking I will. American Rifle Company has lefty short actions in stock. Kind of a no brainer coming with lug, rail, and coating for $999.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't wait to see this one. Should be pretty cool.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Also, thanks to those providing experiences with different bullets. I'm in the process of building a LH AR in 6X45 for the boys to use (20" 8 twist). Unless I get hamstrung by parts availability, I should have it up and running for them to use this fall. Right now I'm strongly leaning towards the 85gr Sierra and/or the 70gr Hammer for poking holes in deer.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got to see the Nucleus yesterday at the FFL dealer. I think it will do nicely. 5 day wait on approvals at present. Trigger, barrel and stock should be in next.

I used a 85 grain HPBT extensively in 243 win and it always worked well. Imagine it will do fine for you. Hoping the 95 Classic is the start and finish of my load work.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Waiting on dies to arrive. In the meantime, this is a factory 223 load sitting in the MDT magazaine. Stick turned me on to those and they allow for a 2.55 oal. Neat magazine for a 6x45. Planning on seating the 95 at about 2.49-2.50. Components slowly trickling in.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the affirmation. I almost went with a 25-45 Sharps, but got a good deal on a 6X45 barrel. I do like the idea of more lighter weight options in 6mm vs 25. Now if someone would make a 55-60gr bonded or mono big game bullet...

IC B3

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here is the 95 berger classic seated to base of neck. Thinking I'll for sure end up in 90 ELD, 95 Berger, 103 ELD territory with impact speeds over 1750 fps to a long distance at my altitude.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Below is a picture of a 105 gr Amax in my MDT mag. I can tell you that if your going with a lighter weight build the 5 round Accurate Mags will accommodate this type of OAL as well as I run them too in my 6x45.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pointer
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Also, thanks to those providing experiences with different bullets. I'm in the process of building a LH AR in 6X45 for the boys to use (20" 8 twist). Unless I get hamstrung by parts availability, I should have it up and running for them to use this fall. Right now I'm strongly leaning towards the 85gr Sierra and/or the 70gr Hammer for poking holes in deer.

I dont think you can go wrong with the 85gr GK and your 8 twist will be just fine, even for bullets up to and over 100gr. My 8 twist stabilizes 100gr pills very well. Also its hard to get the 85gr sierra to shoot poorly. Same can be said for the 75gr sierra h.p and 60 grainers. The 68gr bergers shoot very well too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If only for starters,the .243" Sugar 85GK,is a Heaping Pile Of Fhuqking Schit,in all regards. Not that Pavement Pounding Fhuqktards don't swoon their wadcutter BC(sub .315 G1). Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

'Course they cost more and go slower,than say a .224" Hornie 75 BTHP(.395 G1 BC) and nearly dig as deep. The extry drop,drift,recoil and reduced impact velocity,along with compromised terminal effects,are "good" things to CLUELESSS Droolers. Hint. LAUGHING!

The 270 is a Goat Fhuqk in a '15 platform,due the simplicity of COAL availability and BC. Pardon my simply shooting it all. Hint.

It's likely on the far right. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

1000 more words,for the astute. Hint. Laughing!

Though in "fairness",this is all "NEW" to me. Hint. LAUGHING!

Now if/when offering the COAL requisite to shine,the 270 is certainly an AMAZING performer. Falling wellllllll shy of 223 performance in a Krunchenticker is funnier than fhuqk,though hardly rates a build. Hint. LAUGHING!

I enjoy you CLUELESS Fhuqks doing your ABSOLUTE "Best". Hint.

Fhuqking Laughing!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
If only for starters,the .243" Sugar 85GK,is a Heaping Pile Of Fhuqking Schit,in all regards. Not that Pavement Pounding Fhuqktards don't swoon their wadcutter BC(sub .315 G1). Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

'Course they cost more and go slower,than say a .224" Hornie 75 BTHP(.395 G1 BC) and nearly dig as deep. The extry drop,drift,recoil and reduced impact velocity,along with compromised terminal effects,are "good" things to CLUELESSS Droolers. Hint. LAUGHING!

The 270 is a Goat Fhuqk in a '15 platform,due the simplicity of COAL availability and BC. Pardon my simply shooting it all. Hint.

Now if/when offering the COAL requisite to shine,the 270 is certainly an AMAZING performer. Falling wellllllll shy of 223 performance in a Krunchenticker is funnier than fhuqk,though hardly rates a build. Hint. LAUGHING!

Thank you for the pics and advice. Seriously. I'd very well be in the 223 camp if it was legal for deer hunting here, it's not. .243" min for deer on private lands. I probably should have went with a bolt action, but the kids and I wanted to try our hand at an AR so here we are. The setups on our place don't allow for more than 250yd shots, with most occurring shy of that by 1/2. While not optimal, I'm thinking this will serve our needs. But, if it doesn't I'll gladly come back here and admit as such.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you're looking for a lefty bolt gun, that Nucleus seems a good way to go. By the time a guy adds up bolt handles, coating, rail, lug, bushed pin, etc, the price for a Nucleus looks really good. Number of other custom actions in same category, just settled on that one as they were in stock and competitively priced.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Thank you for the pics and advice. Seriously. I'd very well be in the 223 camp if it was legal for deer hunting here, it's not. .243" min for deer on private lands. I probably should have went with a bolt action, but the kids and I wanted to try our hand at an AR so here we are. The setups on our place don't allow for more than 250yd shots, with most occurring shy of that by 1/2. While not optimal, I'm thinking this will serve our needs. But, if it doesn't I'll gladly come back here and admit as such.

I'd simply stamp 6x45 on the barrel and roll a 223,simply because it is superior in a Krunchenticker. Hint.

Once you delve into increased COAL latitude far greater than Krunchenticker confines,the .243" BC's get a chance to earn their keep. Flipside being the .224" advents,which eclipse same,whether it the 88 ELD or 90 Beer Can and I of course shoot both. You reap better BC's and due the reduction in mass,greater velocity and the melding arranges greater impact velocity and thusly improved terminal effects,with less recoil. Win/win/win. Hint.

In a Krunchenticker,you'll simply be second fiddle to 223 performance/terminal effects,while paying more to do so. The .224" Hornie 75 HPBT is a reliably reliable administer of Terminal Effects,all outta proportion to it's relative "size". It makes the trip up feed ramps reliably,sets back none and deforms nil. Lot to Lot consistency is rather amazing and they are simply a Dirty Nasty Bitch on Critters,which is THE highest of accolades. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps and a Krunchenticker Mag Fed 6x45 is a steaming pile of fhuqking schit in comparison,to a Vanilla 223 in same. Hint.

None of 'em are gonna bounce of critters,but with all in hand,the differences are stark and the advantages REAL. Hint.

Just sayin'.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F

Love my 22 Grendel. If my constraints were 6mm and AR platform, I'd be tempted to go 6 Grendel. Logistics vs performance tradeoff. I shoot mostly Hornady, and the 22 calibers still win out in BC's, but it's closer at least.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd simply stamp 6x45 on the barrel and roll a 223,simply because it is superior in a Krunchenticker. Hint.

Once you delve into increased COAL latitude far greater than Krunchenticker confines,the .243" BC's get a chance to earn their keep. Flipside being the .224" advents,which eclipse same,whether it the 88 ELD or 90 Beer Can and I of course shoot both. You reap better BC's and due the reduction in mass,greater velocity and the melding arranges greater impact velocity and thusly improved terminal effects,with less recoil. Win/win/win. Hint.

In a Krunchenticker,you'll simply be second fiddle to 223 performance/terminal effects,while paying more to do so. The .224" Hornie 75 HPBT is a reliably reliable administer of Terminal Effects,all outta proportion to it's relative "size". It makes the trip up feed ramps reliably,sets back none and deforms nil. Lot to Lot consistency is rather amazing and they are simply a Dirty Nasty Bitch on Critters,which is THE highest of accolades. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps and a Krunchenticker Mag Fed 6x45 is a steaming pile of fhuqking schit in comparison,to a Vanilla 223 in same. Hint.

None of 'em are gonna bounce of critters,but with all in hand,the differences are stark and the advantages REAL. Hint.

Just sayin'.......................

The barrel stamp idea has more than crossed my mind... Again, thank you for the information.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've 224Grendel/LBC's/Fhuqking PPC Improveds on both Krunchentickers and Boltguns. Have quite a few 243Grendel/LBC's/Fhuqking PPC Improveds on Krunchentickers. Best bullet is always gonna win,simply because it can go no other way...thus the Delta 88 affinity in particular. Hint.

Not that I don't have some .243" love. Hint.

Or drag a beloved itty-bitty 270 squirtin' 105's in tow daily. But coming full circle,it's not a heavily COAL compromised Krunchenticker. Hint.

Beings your brass certainly ain't headstamped 270,I'd not begin to fret a barrel stamping that wasn't either. Hint......................(grin)

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
601 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.