Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by battue
Coach...And there is one of your best points..

Nothing will get a new shooter-young or old-breaking more targets consistently than a good coach..Not 2inch extended chokes, not even the newest gun for the game..A good coach starts one out with the fundamentals of how to hit, and without a solid foundation consistency will always be the Dog chasing its tail. A really good coach will make stock adjustments on the fly. A good coach will read your breaks in the sky and tell you how your pattern is for the game you are playing. A good coach will tell you how to use your eyes to the best advantage. Something most never figure out on their own.

I never have a kid shoot the pattern plate, never look down their rib to check their gun-fit, and never give them an eye-dominance test. If they have an issue with any of those things, I will quickly see it, as you say, "on the fly."

I tell them to put in one choke (two in an O/U, of course) and never change them. It is not that those chokes are always ideal, it is just that I don't want the kid thinking the path to higher scores is through gadgetry. I want them thinking the ONLY path to success is thru perfecting what THEY do.

It has worked well so far.

Oh, and check your PM's! I sent you a video to watch. smile

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist

I tell them to put in one choke (two in an O/U, of course) and never change them. It is not that those chokes are always ideal, it is just that I don't want the kid thinking the path to higher scores is through gadgetry. I want them thinking the ONLY path to success is thru perfecting what THEY do.

I couldn’t agree more with this statement. Exactly why I’d like to get him the 2” extended choke now and screw it in when the gun arrives and leave it go after that ... he’ll learn his holds or leads and no since changing things up after that. Just trying to figure out what choke restriction I should throw in it for him. I like the idea of the extended chokes since your tapering the barrel down at a more gradual rate vs doing it in a shorter distance. Maybe I’m right ... maybe I’m wrong ... but it makes sense to me and I’m going with it. Lol

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (007FJ, 7887mm08, 7mm_Loco, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, 10 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.