Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here we go.

Biden to Sign Executive Order Creating Commission on Changes to Supreme Court

https://m.theepochtimes.com/mkt_bre...n-changes-to-supreme-court_3769238.html?

President Joe Biden on Friday will order the creation of a commission to study possible reforms to the Supreme Court, including whether to expand the number of justices, which is a key goal of leftist members of the Democratic Party, or setting term limits for justices.

The order will form “the Presidential Commission on the Supreme Court of the United States, comprised of a bipartisan group of experts on the Court and the Court reform debate,” according to the statement from the White House on Friday.

The panel will consist of former federal judges and lawyers who have argued in front of the Supreme Court, as well as “advocates for the reform of democratic institutions and of the administration of justice,” the White House said. “The expertise represented on the Commission includes constitutional law, history, and political science.”

Calls to expand the Supreme Court reached a crescendo late last year after the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Then-President Donald Trump appointed Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, coming after he appointed Justices Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh, giving the court a 6–3 conservative tilt.

The panel created by Biden will be led by Bob Bauer, who served as White House counsel for former President Barack Obama, and Yale Law School professor Cristina Rodriguez, who served as deputy assistant attorney general in the Office of Legal Counsel in the Obama administration.

Bauer, namely, has been a proponent for term limits for Supreme Court justices. In 2005, he wrote for the Washington Post that “in our system of government, we normally constrain great power with limits rather than license its indefinite exercise.”

He also previously worked for the Perkins Coie law firm, which has long worked for Democrats on election laws and was involved in the Russia-Trump “dossier” controversy several years ago. Bauer left Perkins Coie in 2019, according to the firm.

MOST READ
Biden to Sign Executive Order Creating Commission on Changes to Supreme Court
Mass COVID-19 Vaccination Site Shut Down After Adverse Reactions Reported
Last fall, Biden proposed a presidential commission when he was a candidate, partly as an alternative to “court-packing” efforts from some leftist members of the Democratic party. Republicans in Congress warned that expanding the Supreme Court would allow for Biden to appoint a slate of justices that would give the high court a left-wing slant, while Democrats said Republicans acted unfairly when the Senate, which was led by then-Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), blocked the confirmation of Merrick Garland to the court.

“It’s not about court-packing,” Biden said in response to a question at the time. “There’s a number of other things that our constitutional scholars have debated. … The last thing we need to do is turn the Supreme Court into just a political football, whoever has the most votes gets whatever they want. Presidents come and go. Supreme Court justices stay for generations.”

According to the White House’s statement on Friday, more than 30 other people were named to the commission.

RELATED
Florida Sues Biden Administration Over Continued Cruise Shutdown
Florida Sues Biden Administration Over Continued Cruise Shutdown
This week, Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer warned against packing the court.

“Put abstractly, the Court’s power, like that of any tribunal, must depend upon the public’s willingness to respect its decisions, even those with which they disagree and even when they believe a decision seriously mistaken,” said Breyer, a member of the court’s liberal wing who was appointed by former President Bill Clinton.

“If the public sees judges as ‘politicians in robes,’ its confidence in the courts, and in the rule of law itself, can only diminish, diminishing the Court’s power, including its power to act as a ‘check’ on the other branches,” he added.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see dead people

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
“I have no words; my voice is in my sword”

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I see dead people

🦫

Yep

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It’s like playing Monopoly with grandma, she changes the rules when she’s behind.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The SCOTUS was just wonderful when the dems were getting the likes of Sotomayor seated.

Now the table has turned, so it's got to be "fixed".

Bastids

Last edited by blindshooter; 04/09/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Overlooked in all the chatter is the fact that it takes passage of a law (currently Judiciary act of 1869) to change the size or composition of the court. The dems act, and the article is written, as if Biden can just decide on his own to change anything he wants or nominate any number of justices they arbitrarily choose. With the very, very slim margins in both chambers, it is highly doubtful that all dems would tow the line on something this momentous, and no way would it get 60 votes in Senate. Particularly Manchin who would open the door for other defectors. Even now, the leftists are starting to eat their own by turning on Bryer.

But, lets say that somehow they do manage to get a bill passed and signed. Remember Pelosi's favorite cry "we're equal to the President."? Well, so is the Supreme Court. The court, in the interest of self preservation, could find a reason to invalidate any law (if the case was brought to them) and the other branches could not do anything about it. Fantasy, I know. But in today's weird political environment, it's possible.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, every time we have a change in political power we will keep adding judges.
I don't see a problem with that. crazy

There is a war on America and America is losing
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Kinfolk that voted for this trash, others that voted for this trash? Well when it all hits the fan and they need anything from me they're just not going to be welcome for anything. Kinda like the Amish when one of their own goes against the rules, they treat them like they never existed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I see dead people

🦫

Lots of 'em.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Bipartisan my ass.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even if no changes are made at all that it’s being looked in to is enough to have Robert’s crapping his pants and looking to further placate the left.

I get tired of seeing the right always playing from behind or not really playing at all. Similar to Biden appointing the former gun control dude to head the ATF. The right should have abolished the ATF years ago absent that they should have done the equivalent to what Biden just did and appointed the president GOA or some other hardline pro gun group to oversee it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Given the performance of the SC that is seated now, I don't see why they are even bothering.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me that the court already leans democrat.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As we all know, we are witnessing the first flat out coup of America.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

And yet, they are doing it unopposed.

Shame on us.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Given the performance of the SC that is seated now, I don't see why they are even bothering.

Both of these. Yep.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tell me again how we don't need a convention of the states.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Pray for our once great Republic.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Tell me again how we don't need a convention of the states.

There is not one single elected person you can trust to defend the natural rights of citizens from tyranny.

That is why.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,440
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.