Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#15977878 04/09/21
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Family has the need for a new shed, and while I was originally suggesting a pole barn the timing and current costs are out. Stick built kits are as expensive and not as secure as a Conex, so that's what I'm looking into acquiring. Probably only need a 20' one, but I'm seeing 40's for only $600 more than the 20' we may go that way. I've used Conexs for storage and mini offices on jobsites for many years, so I think I know how to set it up to get good use out of it, but I thought I'd ask ya'll if you have any other ideas or comments about this. One thing I'd like to do is have it set on a bed of aggregate to prevent sinking into the dirt, mud/water puddling around the doors, etc. I figure a foot wider and longer than the conex footprint to end up with 6" all around it, but how deep should I make this? 3-4" should be fine I think, but maybe 6" would be better. Thanks for your educated opinions!

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
GB2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Somehow I would think one would want to set it up on "piers" even they were only concrete block with paving stone top and bottom (snakes gotta have a place to live too after all).
Depending on its location security may be a wash, dopers are getting better equipped to open access to things they want.

They certainly seem to be the fastest, easiest and maybe even the cheapest route to a fine weatherproof structure.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Four to six inches would be my choice, level it well and hope the guy who drops it doesn't screw up your stone work.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
By a convex shed, are you talking about a Quonset type building?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think he's talking about one of those metal shipping containers Richard.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you Scott, I looked it up.

What I saw was a hoop over two containers.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Take 2 if the price is right.

Set them xx feet apart. Them cover. Have a shed with closed storage on each side.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You can set on rail road cross ties, buy new ones not used. If they sell them the driver should be able to put it right where you want it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get one w doors on each end.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Conex storage sheds are pretty common around where I live. People buy two of them and add a roof between them for more covered storage.
Works well.
Gravel pad or 6x6's under them works well depending on factors like how deep the snow gets in front of the door.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by leesway2
You can set on rail road cross ties, buy new ones not used. If they sell them the driver should be able to put it right where you want it.

This is work well for me. Level the ground with my tractor and check the floor after the truck are dropped it on today railroad ties and I had a perfect bubble. It's been on that site for about two years and hasn't shifted a bit.

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think they are the way to go but read up on condensation issues these things can have in certain climates. Where I am there don't seem to be any problems but over in Minnesota some users are complaining of rust on items store inside. There are filters you can install but I don't know enough about them to say anything useful.

https://www.miniwarehousing.com/how-do-you-stop-condensation-in-a-shipping-container/

Last edited by stantdm; 04/12/21.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
We have two, 20' conex on the property. We had the driver set them on 4x4s to distribute the weight and keep them off the dirt.
I cut an 8" hole towards the top of one door on each conex and mounted a solar powered fan inside, roof vent outside for rain, solar panel flat on the roof.
They stay dry and some rolled on Henry"s white roof seal helps drop the temperature inside.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Those are slick. I’m sure the shipping to here would be prohibitive. Most people here frame the middle roof.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What does the 20 foot Conex with doors on both ends cost.......???

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
359 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 39 invisible), 2,032 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.