Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I've made a point of not using the old style Weavers just because they've seemed a pain in the butt to keep the reticle straight. I happened to have a set of lows in my parts box and used them to mount a scope on an 1187 compact 20ga. I've set up for turkey and deer slugs. The planets lined up and everything went together perfect the first time. Muledeer has commented many times how these old style Weavers hold a scope tight and return to zero well when taken off and put back on.

So, I've thought I should pick up a couple of sets of lows to use in the future. A set might go really well on the Remington Classic 35 Whelen I picked up recently.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use them on many of my lever guns for that very reason. If a rifle has open sights I put the scope on with detachable rings just in case. Plus old school Weaver rings just seem to look "right" on lever guns.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have them on a handful of rifles, and love them. No complaints.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by aboltfan
I've made a point of not using the old style Weavers just because they've seemed a pain in the butt to keep the reticle straight.

I'm definitely a fan of the old school weaver rings and use them, especially on Marlin 336's and Remington 760's with Weaver pivot bases.

I've found that if the reticle doesn't stay straight you are overtightening the rings and rolling the scope in the process.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use them a lot and love the rings, once I have the reticle leveled. I found that tightening only one screw on each ring just enough to hold the scope but not rotate it works well. Then go on and tighten the others.

I like my rifles to be as light as possible, since we hunt in rough, high, steep country and do a lot of climbing and still hunting, covering a lot more ground on foot than most deer hunters. Weaver mounts are nice and light.

I've never had a properly mounted set of Weaver mounts fail. I buy the older rings whenever I find them, the ones with the big knobs, and they work great as QD mounts. For good repeatability remember to push forward hard on the scope as you mount and re-mount the rings onto the bases. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not the purdyest rings available & can be a bit tricky to tighten while keeping the scope level.

Otherwise they just flat work. nothing in their price range or double as dependable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out these Weaver Sure Grip Rings. Have 4 screws on the strap. Easier to set up by far. I bought 6 sets a while back.

Kind of improved old school. smile

https://www.weaveroptics.com/rings/detachable-top-mount/sure-grip-detachable-rings/1000239.html

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Check out these Weaver Sure Grip Rings. Have 4 screws on the strap. Easier to set up by far. I bought 6 sets a while back.

Kind of improved old school. smile

https://www.weaveroptics.com/rings/detachable-top-mount/sure-grip-detachable-rings/1000239.html

A real improvement, IMO. I wish they would put the bigger diameter knobs on them.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The funny part is TPS kind of followed the concept of tightening just one side of the rings. They claim it kept the scope from moving during tightening and tilting the reticle.

I found the opposite to be true. You kind of have to slightly tilt the scope the other direction so it ends up where you want it after it moves. 😬 I prefer even pressure on both sides, but the other style certainly works if you fidget with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The funny part is TPS kind of followed the concept of tightening just one side of the rings. They claim it kept the scope from moving during tightening and tilting the reticle.

I found the opposite to be true. You kind of have to slightly tilt the scope the other direction so it ends up where you want it after it moves. 😬 I prefer even pressure on both sides, but the other style certainly works if you fidget with them.

LOL...

My dogs head outside when they see me with a scope and a set of Weaver rings.
eek eek

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
😃

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have them on several rifles and two shotguns. They are great for that "old school" look, like on my Marlin lever gun. The two shotguns are both 12 ga. with one a dedicated slug gun and the other a dedicated Turkey gun. They hang in there quite well with no problems; the slug gun has had the same set of Weavers on it since 1989 and the turkey gun since 2001 or 2002. They can be tricky getting the reticle straight but I just fiddle with it until I get it just right. Only detached some once or twice and they never lost zero but that was on a 10/22. Got talked into a set of the economy model Weaver Quad Lock rings back about 2012 by a local gun shop and they have been holding down a Leupold 3.5-10x 40 mm with no problems ever since. Last couple years I've used 3 different sets of Vortex rings and some of the vertically split Warne rings with no problems but there's nothing wrong with the old traditional Weavers, IMHO.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The idea with these rings were that it would allow it to be scoped for turkey, taken off in the fall for birds and small game and could be setup with another scope for a slug gun. Having the one piece Weaver base d&t into the receiver allows the bead to be seen when not using optics.

This gun being a compact, aka youth gun, means my grandsons will be using it for multiple applications. Just seemed like the Weavers would make this process simpler. I wish I could have found two more of these when Walmart had them on closeout for $125.00. I was fortunate to be able to get this one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some time after these old style (which I like a bunch), Weaver made some "all steel" rings and bases which still seem quite good. The rings attach to the base in an unusual manner (for Weaver) and the two could be bought separately according to height, rifle mount, etc. I cannot find them anywhere now, and would buy some if available. Anybody know about this?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Give me the Weavers, I enjoy a challenge. laugh

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Got old school ones on a 99 .308W. Haven’t moved in 25 years.....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I do like their traditional look.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm also a fan of the traditional Weavers. They are about the lightest and can be the lowest of all options, and seem to hold zero very well. I also like the older large knobs too, which, in combination with the bases (and pushing the rings forward as you tighten them, make for a hand-detachable scope which returns very well to zero.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I throw them away laugh

Last edited by StrayHorse; 04/13/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I called them ugly once and several guys put me on ignore. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
137 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 18 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.