Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Hudge
I got a good laugh when I took my 2020 Silverado in for its first oil change which was complimentary, whoever changed the oil put the next oil change was due in 3K miles. I didn’t know my dad for father in-law (both mechanics) were still alive. Both of those men believed in 3K oil changes and they never met each other ever I their life.

When I took my pick-up in for its first oil change they put either 3000 or 5000 mile schedule on it. I reminded them the manual says 15,000 (I bought it from this dealership.) The mechanic gave me an excuse of "we can't change our computer to print 15,000." He said it would be ok to go 15,000. Since I had it under warranty I keep it at 10,000 so I don't go over.

GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 7.3L PSD does 10K no problem. I've have had Blackstone test it at 5K, they said add 3K more, tested again at 8K, and it was still good to go. This is an engine that uses the oil as hydraulic means to actuate the injectors with up to 3000 PSI oil pressure, so it wears the oil much faster than engines that only use it for lubrication. I'm sure every modern made vehicle can do 10K OCI with modern oils if this dinosaur can.

I had a 3.4L Tacoma before this and ran high quality oil usually Mobil 1 or Amsoil depending on availability, and I got to a point that I was only changing once per year because the oil was still amber coloured, but at the time I heard that oil should be changed yearly at the max because the oil will become acidic. It was usually 14-18K miles at a year, and while I never did an OA on it it's still in the family with nearly 220K miles and it's been with us since 40K, and still running strong/clean. If that truck was 4x4 and could tow more than 5K it'd still be mine.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Windfall
"10,000 mile oil change interval" written by the same company that wants to sell you another new vehicle.

So the engine pukes due to 10k mile OCIs , at a mileage that most of us would deem unacceptable, let’s say 80k miles. Are you really gonna buy another truck from that manufacturer after only getting 80k miles out of their engine?

The whole they want to sell you another truck theory doesn’t make much sense to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I worked for a large trucking company - at the time the manufacturer said 10k OCI

We determined, working with the oil company, that OCI could be 100k+ if you swapped filters at 25-30k - we went 75k OCI to be "safe"

For reference - we had deals with that same manufacturer for VERY generous warranty and even if it wasn't warranty - our pricing was such that overhauls were about 1/5 the street price - parts and labor included no matter what dealer did the work or if we did it in our shops. They were ok with it.

Of the 4 years I worked in that department - I can't remember a single instance where we had major component failure due to oil condition. Failures happened mostly due to lack of oil (skipped PM cycles or failure some other way).

Unlikely a manufacturer is telling you to extend OCI so they can sell you another one soon.

Me

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have been using Mobil extended performance oil with a Mobil 1 extended life filter on my 2012 Tacoma 4.0L for years. It now has 175k trouble free miles. I have had used oil analysis down on it several times and it always tests out great. I could run it easily another 5k miles. As someone else pointed out unless your doing UOA your just guessing.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mobil 1, and filter at 10,000 miles.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True that my 3K oil changing mentality is coming out of the "76 F-150 carburetor engine '70's when I did send in my 10,000 mile oil Amsoil in for an oil analysis and it came back as 10% fuel dilution, a totally depleted lubrication package with metal particles and with a note to get rid of it ASAP. Never again Amsoil and never again 10K oil changes.

You can't blame Amsoil for an incorrectly running engine. 1976 carbureted engine ... really?? Can you tell me that nothing has changed in the last 35 years!!

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
True that my 3K oil changing mentality is coming out of the "76 F-150 carburetor engine '70's when I did send in my 10,000 mile oil Amsoil in for an oil analysis and it came back as 10% fuel dilution, a totally depleted lubrication package with metal particles and with a note to get rid of it ASAP. Never again Amsoil and never again 10K oil changes.

You can't blame Amsoil for an incorrectly running engine. 1976 carbureted engine ... really?? Can you tell me that nothing has changed in the last 35 years!!

Okay, point taken, but back then Amsoil was a diester based oil (what ever that means) and I had their gear lube in the transfer case and differentials and it ate the seals and leaked in the driveway. That coupled with the cold weather automatic choke and carburetor engines of the day, the bad oil analysis I got and the scarcity of an Amsoil dealer... There were other better choices. I used Mobil One in my turbo Saab too and that oil didn't stand up to the heat in the turbo seals, so I don't use that anymore either. Zero issues with Castrol ever since in anything with more frequent changes, so I suppose after reading through this thread that I'm wasting money by changing more frequently, but those expensive early engine issues stay with a guy.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Windfall, calling BS on the Amsoil problems. I've been using it for a few years now and have run used oil analysis at least every other oil change. Post up the results from your oil analysis if you don't mind to show us how bad Amsoil is, or how great Mobil One is, etc.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cowboybart

Okay, point taken, but back then Amsoil was a diester based oil (what ever that means) and I had their gear lube in the transfer case and differentials and it ate the seals and leaked in the driveway. That coupled with the cold weather automatic choke and carburetor engines of the day, the bad oil analysis I got and the scarcity of an Amsoil dealer... There were other better choices. I used Mobil One in my turbo Saab too and that oil didn't stand up to the heat in the turbo seals, so I don't use that anymore either. Zero issues with Castrol ever since in anything with more frequent changes, so I suppose after reading through this thread that I'm wasting money by changing more frequently, but those expensive early engine issues stay with a guy.

How many miles on said vehicles before switching to Amsoil?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geez you guys, at my age I don’t remember what I did last weekend let alone what I was doing with my ‘76 F-150 forty years ago. That one was broken in with maybe 40 thousand on it as I never kept anything much over a hundred thousand back in those days. Now I just get rid of the “old” oil at way less than 10,000 miles. Amsoil I’m sure has changed their formulations some since I used it and I know that the Mobil 1 oil that gave me trouble in the Saab has been made much thicker since it first came out when I used it.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a 2014 Tundra CrewCab. I changed the oil and filter at the 1,000 mile mark and then every 5,000 miles (Toyota filter and 0w-20 Mobil 1 Syn.). I did this until about 2 years ago, when I started using 15K or 20K mile Mobil 1 Syn., and I started changing the oil every 10K miles but the filter was still changed every 5K miles. Having gotten comfortable with the 10K mile oil change, for my most recent oil change, I used an AMSOIL filter and plan on keeping it in for 10K miles. Both the Mobil 1 Syn. oil and AMSOIL filter are supposedly good for more than 10K miles but I still want to be careful on pushing the change intervals past the 10K mile mark. I have not drunk the AMSOIL kool-aid but figured I'd give it a shot. I will say that the oil continues to look almost brand new with the AMSOIL filter but based on past experience, the oil would look a darker brown with the Toyota filter, given the miles I've driven thus far. Anyway, I've yet to have any issues with the 10K oil change. I need to add that the majority of my miles are on highways/Interstates, I have yet to tow anything and I live in relatively flat area (some small hills and inclines) . So, my truck has not seen severe duty.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

The new Tundra I have only spec’s doing oil changes with Synthetic every 10k...

For the First 10k I personally changed it at 3.5k, and 7k miles just as a precaution, now I’m thinking go to 5k miles per oil change for the next 10k...

But 10k between changes ? That’s a LONG time.

thoughts ?

I've been using Mobile 1 for years and I try and change my Tundra's oil every 5 thousand miles....230,000 miles and still running like a race horse.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody change filters halfway through a long synthetic oil change interval?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,354 guests, and 677 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.