Print Thread
Hop To
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bit the bullet and bought me another 625 last week. It’s a 5” dash 2, “Model of 1988”. It’s not pristine but perfect for my uses, not beat up but enough scuffs I ain’t worried about crawling around in the rocks and weeds chasing pigs with it or something.

I just finished casting a pile of RCBS 45-201s, got them sized and lubed and loaded a bunch over 6.5gr of Unique. I’ve got 300 pieces of AutoRim brass coming from a poster here. Probably going to keep an eye out for a heavier SWC or flat nose mold for loading in AR brass. Of course 200gr SWCs out of a 5” 1911 cut right through pigs anyway so heavys may not be needed.

I need a good pancake or cross draw holster for a 5” N frame now. Anybody tried an Azula? I don’t want to spend a ton of money on it but I’m not partial to junk holsters either, used is my preferred way of getting more for less. Recommendations for leather?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Arsenal has a couple of SWC 45 molds, both based on the 454424 pattern. One in 230 grain and the other a 260. I have the 260. Next trip to the range I’ll be testing several loads in my 45 ACP/AR Mountain gun. I recently added an MP 454424 230 grain mold to the collection. It can cast either a solid or hollow point. I haven’t cast any with it yet but am anxious to try it now that I have plenty of 45 AR brass.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve been kicking around an Arsenal mold for a while now Mart. I assume you’re happy with your’s. I just have a hard time shying away from RCBS, I have plenty of handles and I’ve never had one I wasn’t happy with. People shun RCBS because they only make 2 cavities but I ladle pour everything anyway do it doesn’t bother me.

Of course a 225 or so grain with a big HP cast relatively soft would probably be a killer considering the slow speeds the ACP/AR achieve. The Mihecs get great reviews and I’ve considered one of them as well.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have several Arsenal molds. I’ve been happy with all of them. I’ve had about every kind of mold except RCBS. Nothing against them. Just never had one.

I have more Mihec molds than any other brand. Great molds.

Last edited by mart; 04/10/21.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
What powder are you using in your AR loads Mart? I’m generally a Unique kinda guy but I have a big jug of PowerPistol too.

I got a bunch of moonclips with my revolver but I gave my California Competition super demooner away years ago and now I can’t find another one. It was like a big pair of pliers and removed 2 rounds ata time. Dillon still catalogs them but they’re out of stock. I wonder if the commie Covid didn’t put them under. If anyone knows where to find one I’d appreciate it.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For the holster look at Simply Rugger holsters. The Sour Dough is a dual strong side / dross draw. Have several of them for various revolvers and pistols. www.simplyrugged.com

Very affordable.

Dave

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have loads to test with Unique, Universal, Bullseye and 2400. I’ll try some HS6 as well. Right now the only bullet I have suitable for the ACP/AR is the 260 grain SWC 454424. Next rainy day I’ll cast a bunch of 230 grain with the Mihec mold. I haven’t been to the range yet with the Mountain gun so can’t say which loads are best yet. I’ve been waiting on my new chronograph. It shipped Wednesday.

I’ve found some great deals on good leather holsters on eBay. Lawrence, Bianchi, and Barranti to name a few.

I just got a moon clip deloader on eBay. Works great

Moon clip tool

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Found a late night EBay deal on a Cali Competition works demooner and a mooner, package deal.

Unfortunately the night before I missed a deal on a nice pancake holster by Blackhills leather for about %20 of new price. I’ll find something, might end up ordering a new one. I like a Threepersons or especially Hank Sloan styled holster but a good pancake is tough to beat for field use.

The more I handle this thing to the more I want to get some kind of non rubber stocks on it. I remember when we used to toss the spare Ahrends Combats that came with 329s in the junk bin. Now I wish I’d saved a set and they’re bringing ridiculous money. Magnas with a BK or T grip might get the nod, just have to see what I can come up with.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Just have been testing Power pistol in a four inch 1911.
200 grain cast hollow point NOE mold,
8 grains has a pretty bad extreme spread
8.5 was acceptable running in the upper nines. Winchester large pistol primer.
My favorite 45 auto bullet is the Saeco 058 which weighs 220 in my alloy.
8 grains was running 940. Nice powerful loads. I’ll test them next week or so in a five inch. And test with CCI 300 primers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheKid
Found a late night EBay deal on a Cali Competition works demooner and a mooner, package deal.

Unfortunately the night before I missed a deal on a nice pancake holster by Blackhills leather for about %20 of new price. I’ll find something, might end up ordering a new one. I like a Threepersons or especially Hank Sloan styled holster but a good pancake is tough to beat for field use.

The more I handle this thing to the more I want to get some kind of non rubber stocks on it. I remember when we used to toss the spare Ahrends Combats that came with 329s in the junk bin. Now I wish I’d saved a set and they’re bringing ridiculous money. Magnas with a BK or T grip might get the nod, just have to see what I can come up with.

Kid, You're going to love that gun. I have one and it is a straight-shooting sweetheart. With .45 acp, basically just a soft push straight back.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh it shoots great. I had one long ago and made a poor trade decision, been missing it ever since. Good to have a replacement.

Once I get some leather I’ll probably start packing it around the hills more often than my other blued S&Ws just due to the durability aspect of SS. The old one killed a pile of snakes and other critters, I see no reason this one will be any different.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mart
I have loads to test with Unique, Universal, Bullseye and 2400. I’ll try some HS6 as well. Right now the only bullet I have suitable for the ACP/AR is the 260 grain SWC 454424. Next rainy day I’ll cast a bunch of 230 grain with the Mihec mold. I haven’t been to the range yet with the Mountain gun so can’t say which loads are best yet. I’ve been waiting on my new chronograph. It shipped Wednesday.

I’ve found some great deals on good leather holsters on eBay. Lawrence, Bianchi, and Barranti to name a few.

I just got a moon clip deloader on eBay. Works great

Moon clip tool

eBay says seller is "on vacation" and can't place an order. Weird

Sam......

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That style of moon clip tool is easily made by filing a lip on a length of copper tubing, conduit, or other piece of tube. I made a bunch of them out of Marlin magazine tubes, used to include one when we’d do a moon clip conversion on a revolver. An aluminum one came with my revolver and it works but I prefer the two at a time plier style.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Finally the stars aligned this evening and I have a holster on the way. Black Kramer horsehide pancake style. I don’t know a lot about Kramer but I know they’ve been around a while so I hope it’s a good one. Being horsehide I’m guessing it’ll probably last forever. Still haven’t shot anything but steel plates with my 625, been busy fishing, but I bet we run into a bunch of pigs out at the fishing hole before the summers over.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I love Kramer holsters. Have 4. You will be very happy with your purchase. Getting it directly from Kramer? They are usually backordered for months.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
No I scooped it on eBay for $50. I’m a cheapskate. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,905 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.