Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I realize that the XL7 is o longer made but was there two different series made? I think I’ve heard in the past that the good ones were the early ones. Is there a serial number that I can go by to know if I’m looking at an older good one versus one of the later one....or were they actually all built the same with no real differences?

Dan

BP-B6

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Better talk to 260 rem guy he has a better handle on them than anyone else. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
All I’m aware of is the “JM” ones and the “REP” ones.

I don’t pretend to be an “expert”, so there could be other “variations”.

Main issue folks had with these guns were the extractors. Some had guns that were prone to having extractors pop out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only differences that I'm aware of are that the X guns were initially built in CT when Marlin was an independent company and then the production was moved to Mayfield, KY, when Marlin became part of Remington. The barrel stamps are different, with the early ones being stamped that they were made in North Haven, CT, while the later ones have the Mayfield, KY, address. The serial number scheme changed along with the production facility. The North Haven rifles having the long standing Marlin scheme where you subtract the first two number of the serial number from 100 to determine the year of manufacture. The Mayfield rifles have serial numbers that start with MM.

I have 12 X guns with serial numbers that begin with 91, indicating a 2009 production date, and 6 with MM prefixed serial numbers. I haven't noticed any difference in build quality between them.

The X guns in 223 that I have seen or owned have all had MM serial numbers, while all of the stainless X guns that I've seen or owned all had the old Marlin scheme serial numbers.

I don't know what the production run for the X guns was or how many were made. I like them because they were inexpensive and easy to swap barrels on because they used the same barrel tenon specs as the small shank Savage 110 series. I put together several Marlin X gun in 22-250 with a 1-9" ROT by rechambering Stevens 200 barrel from 223. The only catch in doing the barrel swaps is that the bolt face of the Marlins is recessed slightly deeper than the Savage bolt face, so you can get a false headspace read if the front of the Marlin bolt comes in contact with the rear of the Savage specs barrel before the shoulder of the case comes in contact with the shoulder of the chamber. This results in slightly excess headspace. I know of multiple situations where this happened and in one case where it resulted in a case separation.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Learn something all the time.my xs-7 308 is a jm gun with the 91 prefix where as my ss xs-7 7-08 has the rep stamp mayfield, but still has the 91 prefix . They were both moa shooters out of the box
. Lotta gun for the money. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would love to find a stainless XS7S or XL7S

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kandpand

I bought a XL7S in .270 about 8 years ago off a guy that was NIB for $250. I put a Minox scope on it and then sold it to a buddy for his adult kid. I regret doing that. The bolt was not near as smooth as my XS7 blues in .308, but it was decent shooter with 130 gr Rem Cor-lockts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I have a few extras that I bought as donors, but probably won't ever get around to using for that purpose.

When I get back on my feet, I'll PM you with the particulars.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I have a few extras that I bought as donors, but probably won't ever get around to using for that purpose.

Thanks that would be great. Praying for your recovery.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Thanks that would be great. Praying for your recovery.

I was the victim of an undocumented alien who was driving his employer's truck. My attorney says that he expects to win a 7 digit judgement against the employer. The undocumented alien is in jail until he is able to put up a $100K bond. The employer says that the guy who hit me presented counterfeit documentation when he was hired, but the company apparently had other undocumented aliens on their employee rolls, so their insurance company many not cover them. My attorney and I met with the employer, his attorney, and a representative of the company's insurance carrier. They offered $500K to settle out of court. We asked for $3M, $300K in lost wages, and up to $500K to cover medical expenses. We'll be going to court and ask for $6.8M. I wonder if the titanium rod in my leg will make metal detectors go off?

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Damn 260 heal up and take care, best wishes for full recovery. Mb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The fibula was broken in 5 places, that's why they put the titanium rod in to stabilize it. The recovery from the surgery to put the fibula back together, to insert the rod, and to fix the torn knee cartilage is uncomfortable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry for all your trouble. Be prepared for a lot of shucking and jiving from the insurance company, and also for the possibility that the employer may just go out of business rather than pay up over the limit of coverage. Your lawyer may have already warned you about that.

My barber was hit by a commercial truck that ran a red light and he’s been through Hell trying to collect. Good luck to you.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

Sorry to hear about your accident. I’m an immigration judge in Atlanta and policies are changing rapidly with the new administration. Very few undocumented aliens even have a drivers license, let alone insurance. I hope you and your attorneys can find an Avenue of redress against the company that hired the illegals, because we all know that they can do it so that they can avoid paying a higher labor standard. .

Good luck, and when you are feeling better put me on your PM list for any Marlins you might sell
I’m the future.

Get wel soon!

Dan

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Sorry to hear on your accident... Hearing that sort of stuff just pisses me off...

I'll leave it at that.... prayers for you to heal up fast, and may it be as painless as possible...

may the guy who you, find the money to get out of jail... and then get hit by a bus or truck driven by a fellow Mexican Illegal Alien, who has no insurance...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
For the money imho that line of marlin rifles is hard to beat....wish I could find one in 7-08

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Slidellkid

Sorry to hear about your accident. I’m an immigration judge in Atlanta and policies are changing rapidly with the new administration. Very few undocumented aliens even have a drivers license, let alone insurance. I hope you and your attorneys can find an Avenue of redress against the company that hired the illegals, because we all know that they can do it so that they can avoid paying a higher labor standard. .

Good luck, and when you are feeling better put me on your PM list for any Marlins you might sell
I’m the future.

Get wel soon!

Dan

The illegal that murdered the young girl in Iowa set off a $hitstorm. No one in Iowa with any common sense will hire an illegal now. They either have some kind of work permit or have their "green card". I would imagine this might happen more as more illegals show up and want to work but employers don't want to take a chance with a lawsuit.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had an early one in 25-06 and it consistently shot .75” groups at 200yds....still kick myself for selling it.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’d like to run across a old MR7 with a model 70 safety

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bit of a bump for this thread, but I missed it the first time around. 260, I hope you are doing better.

This thread did make me curious so now I know that my XL7 is of the CT variety.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 72 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.