Anyone flush enough eat it?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
First time in Russia bought tuna sized cans of great caviar for 7 bucks a can. Brought 10 cans - it was all the store had. That was 20 some years ago. At the price today only for special days. Red caviar is not high priced and tasty but hard to find in WY. Mail order adds a bit of cost. .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will take the fish, not the eggs

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had it a couple of times here in the USA and also in Russia several years ago. I can eat it, but I really don't care for it. Each bite is an explosion aquarium water in your mouth. Gross.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
We’re not flush, but we eat it once or twice a month. We prefer the pink salmon caviar, while our friends like the fishier-tasting coho salmon caviar. Spread on a slice of crusty or light rye bread with butter, nothing better.

Price runs about $5 an ounce. I bought a frozen kilogram for Slavyanka as one of her Christmas gifts.

Every once in a while we buy a can of Beluga (sturgeon) caviar for special occasions. At $135/oz its spendy, but pretty good.

Sushi places use flying fish roe, and herring caviar is pretty good, too.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like to meal and fry crappie eggs this time of the year. They taste like a fried egg yolk, been eating them my whole life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can get cheap "caviar" that's labeled "lumpfish roe". I don't know what a lumpfish is, but its roe is okay. I've never had genuine Russian caviar, so I have no real basis of comparison. I'd love to, though. If you've never had any at all, caviar is salty, fishy, and has a "bubble wrap" quality as each egg pops. I rate it as a treat, often served on a cracker with a sprinkle of crumbled hard-boiled egg or on buttered toast points.

Edit to add: After posting that, a remembery popped up in my head of a diner breakfast on the Outer Banks featuring fish roe in scrambled eggs. I recall it fondly, and have an lasting impression of the mildly fishy, salty addition favored by locals but seldom by tourists, according to the waitress. Except for me, of course. I can NEVER pass up something I've never had before.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 04/11/21.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I call it "nah"

Yup.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Big negatory here. My brother eats the heck out of panfish eggs though.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Chum roe is big money

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Chum roe is big money

Brings back memories of growing up in Western WA. Natives would net chum by the truckload, strip the eggs and leave a massive pile of carcasses blocking the access trails down to the river. I know they are dog salmon but I always had heartburn about that.

Semper Fi

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Chum roe is big money

Many runs in western AK were eliminated by roe stripping. Dogs are not worth much for food, but the roe is high dollar, for sure.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I worked on a dock for a processor one season and it seemed like the chum roe was the prize of the salmon season. Fillets and whole fish seemed to just be a bonus (kings, reds, silvers, and pinks) and kept the staff paid. The "egg room" in the plant was off limits to all employees, unless authorized. Only women were allowed in that room. Or Japanese men. Everyone was warned that you would be fired on the spot for entering the egg room, if you didn't work there.

One day, the owner and another guy (buyer?) came out to the dock, and asked to stop the belt (conveyor). They took a hen and squirted eggs into their hands, and sucked them down. Never seen anyone do that before, or since.

Rumor back then was that many of the processing plants were funded by the Japanese, primarily for the roe. People said the flesh wasn't very popular across America then. Want to say that the flesh was used for dog food or something like that, until demand increased. Might have been a tall tale though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now you've done it. Since making that first post, I've had a hankerin' a-thrown on me. Now I have to find some caviar - no easy task in a landlocked state where shrimp are exotic seafood.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Opened another can of herring roe this morning and cooked half of it with scrambled eggs. Caviar it ain’t, just good old-timey food from my yute.

Have a recipe for potato and herring roe cakes from GARDEN & GUN that I’ll have to try before I run out.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mmm, they are all good, but my favourite is smoked sea mullet roe, from back in Oz.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Internet picture for reference.

Queuing Kamo Gari !!!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have tried cooking fish eggs. I didn't care for them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have tried it twice, no thanks.

As a kid my Pap kept every fish egg we got and fried them.
They were ok.

Pap couldn't help himself.
Born in a coal town in 1918 to an English mother and Sweede father,
one of the youngest of 8 kids.

Took a multi year, all expenses paid, tour of Europe in the 1940's.

He wasted nothing, if it was edible, it was eaten.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Spoonbill (Paddlefish) Caviar isn’t as fishy tasting as regular caviar - but it still doesn’t taste like much to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One thing I've never quite grasped is why "fishy" is bad. It's fish; it ought to taste fishy. Beef is supposed to taste beefy, lamb is supposed to taste lamby, and pork is supposed to taste porky, right? Why is fish supposed to NOT taste like fish?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.