Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 26 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Just in case you don't know it, Jesus legalistically obeyed the Father.

He had to, otherwise that would be like disobeying yourself? smile

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Did the slave owners who believed in Jesus wind up in a better place than the non-believing, non-slave owning people who did really good deeds but could not wrap their brains around 1800+ year old code words?
Good question. On one hand, God’s grace is unearnable. “Really good deeds” doesn’t earn one eternity with God. On the other hand, strict adherence to orthodoxy and legalism often replace love, and are counted as godliness by many. The Pharisees were good examples of this. They strictly abided by all the laws and traditions and doctrines and practices, but they had filthy hearts...and Jesus called them out on it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus consistently prioritized people over His own religion...including its doctrines and practices and laws and traditions. The religious leaders...who considered themselves to be godly ‘because’ they abided by the doctrines and practices and laws and traditions...prioritized religion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So the non-believing, non-slave owning, good deed person definitely goes to hell but the slave owning believer, who was welcomed by the church, may or may not. Better odds owning slaves. Got it.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So the non-believing, non-slave owning, good deed person definitely goes to hell but the slave owning believer, who was welcomed by the church, may or may not. Better odds owning slaves. Got it.

Apparently you don't "got it". How can the non believing man go somewhere that doesn't exist (to him)?

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
it;s not works good folks, it's Grace!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by wabigoon
it;s not works good folks, it's Grace!

Yes sir.

True story. I was at a church where the pastor was making a point. Said old Miss Mable could cook 1000 meals for the needy, could have perfect attendance at church since she was 5 years old, and those works alone will send her straight to hell. Old Miss Mable got up and walked out of church. grin

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
it's all in the Hand, "Book".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by antlers
Jesus consistently prioritized people over His own religion...including its doctrines and practices and laws and traditions. The religious leaders...who considered themselves to be godly ‘because’ they abided by the doctrines and practices and laws and traditions...prioritized religion.

Actually this isn’t quite accurate.

Jesus consistently showed that the religious leaders cynically manipulated doctrines and practices to shift goal posts in their favor. In doing so they acted as gods unto themselves rewriting His law and deceiving themselves into believing they were righteous when they weren’t. The law was written to reveal to us our sin and inability to be saved apart from grace and by their redefinition were deluded.

Christ Himself, however, observed His religion perfectly because His law keeping was centered around the letter and spirit of the law. He never violated Gods law but pointed out how Pharisees had perverted it even as they claimed to protect it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it’s accurate. Time after time, Jesus prioritized people...and it put Him at odds...with the religious leaders who prioritized religion. “The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath”...! It’s not like God had a bunch of rules and needed to create some people to keep em’. The law was for people, not the other way around.
Jesus didn’t die for a bunch of rules and regulations, He died for people. Jesus didn’t die for the Mosaic law, He died for the lawless. Jesus didn’t die for doctrines and traditions and practices, He died for those who broke them. Jesus didn’t die for His religion, He died for us. I have no doubt that people are more important than His religion because His view of people was ‘defined by’ His view from a blood-stained cross that He hung from. You disagree. That’s fine. Our disagreement on this matter doesn’t diminish the Gospel in any way whatsoever.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Haven't read the whole thread, didn't want to go down that rabbit hole again. But to opine on the original question, the decline in church attendance can mean nothing good for our society. When I was growing up, it seemed just about everyone attended church and society was on the whole much more well-behaved and civil. Being in church made you part of a community, and there were behavioral expectations that one felt compelled to meet; a sort of peer pressure, if you will. I am sure there were some, perhaps many, who simply warmed the pews and whose behavior outside of church was, shall we say, less than exemplary. But the church served to keep a lid on the sinful impulses that we all have. That lid, to the extent that it is still in place, is not as tight as it used to be and we see the result everywhere around us. And I do believe that regular church attendance might eventually have brought some into a real belief in Christ. It did for me.

I am not saying that just because someone doesn't attend church they are a bad person; I am saying that in my opinion the more people that a society has attending church, the fewer bad people it will have.

Let's take a look at the countries with highest Church attendance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_attendance

1. Nigeria.
2. Zambia
3. Haiti
4. Tanzania
5. Central African Republic
6. Chad
7. Liberia
8. Mozambique
9. Uganda
10. Kenya
11. Ethiopia
12. Cameroon
13. Guatemala
14. Democratic Republic of the Congo
15. Rwanda

The first civilized country on the list is Japan, at 50% of the population who attends at least weekly.

Since you believe Church attendance makes people behave so well, let me know which of those 15 countries listed above you will move to and leave you door unlocked at night.

I do not consider any of the places you have named as "our" society.

Your incessant animus toward Christianity has long worn thin.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by antlers

Jesus didn’t die for a bunch of rules and regulations, He died for people. Jesus didn’t die for the Mosaic law, He died for the lawless. Jesus didn’t die for doctrines and traditions and practices, He died for those who broke them. Jesus didn’t die for His religion, He died for us. I have no doubt that people are more important than His religion because His view of people was ‘defined by’ His view from a blood-stained cross that He hung from. You disagree. That’s fine. Our disagreement on this matter doesn’t diminish the Gospel in any way whatsoever.

I actually agree with you on what you say above.

I don’t think we’re connecting but ok I know you have the impression that a high view of the law is antithetical to the Gospel.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Haven't read the whole thread, didn't want to go down that rabbit hole again. But to opine on the original question, the decline in church attendance can mean nothing good for our society. When I was growing up, it seemed just about everyone attended church and society was on the whole much more well-behaved and civil. Being in church made you part of a community, and there were behavioral expectations that one felt compelled to meet; a sort of peer pressure, if you will. I am sure there were some, perhaps many, who simply warmed the pews and whose behavior outside of church was, shall we say, less than exemplary. But the church served to keep a lid on the sinful impulses that we all have. That lid, to the extent that it is still in place, is not as tight as it used to be and we see the result everywhere around us. And I do believe that regular church attendance might eventually have brought some into a real belief in Christ. It did for me.

I am not saying that just because someone doesn't attend church they are a bad person; I am saying that in my opinion the more people that a society has attending church, the fewer bad people it will have.

Let's take a look at the countries with highest Church attendance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_attendance

1. Nigeria.
2. Zambia
3. Haiti
4. Tanzania
5. Central African Republic
6. Chad
7. Liberia
8. Mozambique
9. Uganda
10. Kenya
11. Ethiopia
12. Cameroon
13. Guatemala
14. Democratic Republic of the Congo
15. Rwanda

The first civilized country on the list is Japan, at 50% of the population who attends at least weekly.

Since you believe Church attendance makes people behave so well, let me know which of those 15 countries listed above you will move to and leave you door unlocked at night.

I do not consider any of the places you have named as "our" society.

Your incessant animus toward Christianity has long worn thin.

Sorry to hear that you don't like facts, but they are stubborn things. Point of the matter is, there is a correlation between Church attendance and measures of well being, but it's a NEGATIVE correlation. In general, the more fundamentalist a society or group of people, the worse the outcomes for measures of well being.

If you took a careful look at the list above, you would notice they are not all Christian majority nations. Some are such a Rwanda were the genocide was preached for the pulpits of the Catholic Churches, but some are not, such as Ethiopia and Nigeria. Bottom line is, more people in church does not benefit the general populace.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
antelope_sniper "...more people in church does not benefit the general populace." The Jesus I know of and have read of seemed to have the most issues with "people in church". Way more than he did with the common folk trying to get by. We hear from a lot of self assured folks on this forum that will assert they are going to eternal bliss based on a deluded man's interpretation of Jesus' doctrine. A doctrine of salvation that Jesus himself is not recorded endorsing. This coming from writings that claim 3 different versions of a secret meeting out on a deserted road and also claim a trip to 3rd heaven.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
This👆🏻

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To me, slave owning ‘Christians’ were hypocrites to the Nth degree. But many people...throughout history...have used scripture to justify their behavior. People have hated other people with a Bible verse, people have persecuted other people with a Bible verse, people have enslaved other people with a Bible verse, people have bigotry towards other people with a Bible verse, and when somebody confronts them they actually have a verse from the Bible with which they've found a way to disregard and mistreat the people for whom Jesus died...! Give em' a minute and they'll find a Biblical justification for just about any behavior they want. That's what some 'Christians' do. They've taken the Bible and they've twisted it to empower them to do the very opposite of what Jesus commanded them to do.
“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By ‘this’ all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” Kinda hard to twist that.
And regarding God’s grace, accepting His grace is supremely important...first and foremost, regardless of anything else, no matter what. That’s what we ‘have to’ do if we want to spend eternity with Him. Extending grace to others is extremely important too. We are most like Jesus when we are extending grace to others. Grace...relationally...is likely the solution to just about everything.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

it is all bullchit..........bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

even the religious guys on here cant agree with each other......even take jabs at those that aren't in lockstep with them.....bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One cannot separate the Word of God from God and expect to fully know God. Such is to open ourselves up to false beliefs that we make up in the vacuum and thus will cause the Church to decline.

Revelation 19:9 - John claimed "These are true words of God".

https://www.gospelway.com/bible/bible_inspiration.php

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobMt
even the religious guys on here cant agree with each other.....
Kinda like people on the same team regarding politics, or people on the same team regarding economics...or people on the same team regarding pretty much anything else. Different people sometimes see things differently...even people on the same team. There’s nothing wrong with that. At all. We’re not all a bunch of stamped out cookie cutter automatons. Diversity and disagreements within the body of believers has existed since its inception.

Page 23 of 26 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,241
Posts18,466,784
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.