Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
GRIZZ Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone ever use them any recommendations ARB, Pull Pal?

Coyotes shot no waiting.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Truck axle.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just haul an extension cord around with you. sombich will tangle on thin air giving you a anchor.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
No experience with the anchors you mentioned I have been using the “old circus tent spike” as it’s been named by my friends
It’s an about 1.5” diameter and 36” long round old tent spike I found and it has worked well in everything but the sandiest of soil to get my jeep winched out when the nearest tree was a 1/4 mile away

GRIZZ Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well a "tent spike" may work for whatever it is you drive but I needs something rated at around 10,000 pounds...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Depends on the ground you’re stuck in. Had my F350 power stroke stuck 3x this winter in fields. Faced with digging 1/2 frozen ground, I pulled out a shovel and used mat tracks.

Personally I wouldn’t use a nome built earth anchor. Lots of people killed by things breaking loose combined with a winch cable under tension.

Smittybuilt and Bushwinch make a decent earth anchor

Deadman off road makes a bag that you bury. Great for sand

Some guys will bury the spare tire or a log in a deep hole and attach their winch cable to that. I haven’t done it but it’s an option I’m sure I’ll use at some point.

One of my winter recoveries. It’s much steeper than it looks in the pic. Lots of water runoff made the clay slick and a 9k lb truck sucks off road.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by deerstalker
just haul an extension cord around with you. sombich will tangle on thin air giving you a anchor.

Lol 🤣

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How about spending $20?
2 steel fence posts with the fins, cut to about 3'. Pound in 1, leaning back a little from the truck. Pound in the 2d a few feet behind it, same angle. Run a strong, tight rope or chain from the top of the 1st to the bottom of the 2d. Hook the winch cable to the bottom of the 1st. It might help to weld some anchor pieces on before you go to keep the ropes from sliding up & down and for a cable hook ring.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How about spending $20?
2 steel fence posts with the fins, cut to about 3'. Pound in 1, leaning back a little from the truck. Pound in the 2d a few feet behind it, same angle. Run a strong, tight rope or chain from the top of the 1st to the bottom of the 2d. Hook the winch cable to the bottom of the 1st. It might help to weld some anchor pieces on before you go to keep the ropes from sliding up & down and for a cable hook ring.

+1

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I don't know what you are looking to spend but this company's products look pretty good. Bush Winch check out there YouTube videos

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have used an old Danforth anchor in the sand and mud. But, a too darn large to carry around all year. Truck axle as recommended earlier. Easier to store and recover when you get unstuck. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the cut 3' tee post trick, grab a few, spot weld the flat plate to the post (I've had them pop off), I cut the end at an angle with my cut off saw, pound into ground with a driver at slight angle.
I keep several in the truck and more in my ranger.
Max track boards work well, but you have to get them under the tires.
Think about an exhaust lift bag, they work nice, no digging, lift vehicle, put traction boards under tires and pull out.
Digging/clearing with a shovel helps of course.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
GRIZZ Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok...Thanks I think.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The simple fact is that spending hundreds of $$ on something as simple as a ground anchor is a colossal waste of money. T-posts cost like $5 at Home Depot and Harbor Frt has a good 4 lb hammer for under $10. A real post driver is better but they cost like $30 to 40 and aren't necessary unless you have a need for it at home.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MTGunner
I have used an old Danforth anchor in the sand and mud. But, a too darn large to carry around all year. Truck axle as recommended earlier. Easier to store and recover when you get unstuck. MTG

How are you using the truck axle as the ground anchor?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just drive it in the ground like a tent peg.

It's not the whole axle housing.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always carried a 3' piece of a 1-1/4" steel digging bar in my Jeep. It sufficed.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
An axle?... good idea, I was wondering what would I do if I didn't have a tree or stump handy.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Gotcha.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it loonsh!t, bury your spare tire. I carry a couple of garden shovels for drier ground. I cut the handles so they are about 4' long. Use them in tandem like you would a couple of GI style tent pegs. Bury them with the concave side facing the truck and buried to the hilt. A nylon tow rope wrapped right down on the shovels where the handle changes to blade will cinch on tight. Depending on conditions, I'll use the shovel in tandem or in series.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.