Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Diesel
The age old question of what's it all about has been turning over and over in my mind lately.

My wife had a second heart attack a couple of days ago. Very scary and stressful for her and me. It was mild this time and she is doing good at present. Very small vein too small to fix. Thank God she is still with me.

On top of that I had a serious spell while sitting next to her in the hospital. Room started spinning, like 100mph, sweating like I was in a pouring rain, vomiting, could not stand up and kept my eyes closed because the spinning was so disorienting. As luck would have it, no better place for that to happen than a hospital. Two IVs bags of electrolytes later the spinning stopped and so did the sweats. Severe Dehydration? Vertigo? Gotta get checked out this week.

The point is that so many things have been going south on almost every single day that it is taking it's toll. Nothing seems of value. Hunting, and all other pursuits are of little interest. Fun seems distant at this stage. Why do we fight so hard to stay on the planet?

The only thing that makes sense is we do it for our family. My wife, kids, and dogs are reason enough to keep on keeping on and the thought of leaving them in the lurch is unacceptable. So get up tomorrow and continue the siege. I know many have a tougher time than me, and I marvel at what can be endured.

Anybody got a better explanation of what it is all about?

If you believe in God, then you believe he has a plan and a purpose for each of us.... Our job is to find that purpose or purposes and live each day fulfilling it. To someone in your life, you are their sunshine. They want or need your guidance, support, help or whatever. The list could go on and on. Get up tomorrow and just be glad you could and pay attention to who is around you. Someone needs you, whether you know it or not. You're needed here until God decides you aren't, then you get to go home. That's what it's all about for me...

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The age old question of what's it all about has been turning over and over in my mind lately.

My wife had a second heart attack a couple of days ago. Very scary and stressful for her and me. It was mild this time and she is doing good at present. Very small vein too small to fix. Thank God she is still with me.

On top of that I had a serious spell while sitting next to her in the hospital. Room started spinning, like 100mph, sweating like I was in a pouring rain, vomiting, could not stand up and kept my eyes closed because the spinning was so disorienting. As luck would have it, no better place for that to happen than a hospital. Two IVs bags of electrolytes later the spinning stopped and so did the sweats. Severe Dehydration? Vertigo? Gotta get checked out this week.

The point is that so many things have been going south on almost every single day that it is taking it's toll. Nothing seems of value. Hunting, and all other pursuits are of little interest. Fun seems distant at this stage. Why do we fight so hard to stay on the planet?

The only thing that makes sense is we do it for our family. My wife, kids, and dogs are reason enough to keep on keeping on and the thought of leaving them in the lurch is unacceptable. So get up tomorrow and continue the siege. I know many have a tougher time than me, and I marvel at what can be endured.

Anybody got a better explanation of what it is all about?

Sounds like you have been given a big dose of perspective. In light of all that you and your wife have been through lately, the more mundane pursuits in your life have suddenly become less important to you.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by slumlord
I ask a lot of life’s questions while mowing. Mainly, why I am here?

Probably because you let the grass get long and the wife told you to cut it before it gets all clumpy and whatnot....

Wrong

I mow every 4-5 days

You must have me mixed up with someone else.

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ever see that drawing of a buffalo standing against a blowing snowstorm. "Waiting for a Chinook" I think was the title. That has been me for the last year and a half.

Ron, You finding even the smallest good thing in the toughest of spots is inspiration to those of less difficult circumstance. Thanks for posting.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
,...heard someone giving a talk a little while ago. They said that people can't know how their life has affected others,...said at *best* a person may recognize 2 or 3 ripples that they've caused to maybe a small circle of people.

But in reality, a person's life causes a very large number of "ripples" that affects an innumerable amount of people.

So,..there's this large set of circumstances that everybody's life plays a part in,...and everybody is totally unaware of all but a few of them.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Originally Posted by RiverRider

You too, huh? I've reviewed my entire life up to sixteen times each summer going around and around and around on my John Deere.

You two are doing it all wrong. Cold beer and a pair of workmates headphones streaming “Randy Rogers band” radio on Pandora.
If life isn’t fun anymore you’re either not working enough or not drinking enough. Life consistently tries to kick you in the balls. You have to kick life in the balls right back.
Like everything else, you get out of life exactly what you put into it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a young girl hang it up here a number of years ago,
by chance my youngest was in a theater production of Annie at that time.

The song Tomorrow from that play hit me hard at that time,
It's why so many youngsters give up/why older people often don't.

With years we learn "That this too shall pass". Today's trials will
fade, and "The sun will come out tomorrow".

As others have said, family is the buffer and the motivation.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Probably because you let the grass get long and the wife told you to cut it before it gets all clumpy and whatnot....

Wrong

I mow every 4-5 days

Slum....Was that YOU in the Tom Hanks movie????? You all know which one I'm talking about.

Diesel....Praying things get better for you. I?We know my main purpose in life was my kids...and now grandkids.

Last edited by AZmark; 04/10/21.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jackmountain

You too, huh? I've reviewed my entire life up to sixteen times each summer going around and around and around on my John Deere.

You two are doing it all wrong. Cold beer and a pair of workmates headphones streaming “Randy Rogers band” radio on Pandora.
If life isn’t fun anymore you’re either not working enough or not drinking enough. Life consistently tries to kick you in the balls. You have to kick life in the balls right back.
i fire up a fattie when I bush hog the fields, deep thoughts abound

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Suspect the confusion is with someone in your neighborhood.

Do some of my best thinking while my wife is mowing (with rider).

She enjoys it.........and I push mowed, for a living, age 12-16.....along with 2 paper routes. Had bad hay fever back then.

Would prefer pouring some concrete and painting it green.

Wrong

I mow every 4-5 days

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's the point?

OldGrayWolf hit the nail smack dab solid on the head and sunk it in one swing. It's about enjoying what you have and living everyday trying to bring a spot of sunshine into someone else's life. You have to learn to look at ALL the beauty and wonder of life! It's all around you, just waiting to be noticed. Attitude, attitude, attitude is the key to happiness. Only you can make you happy!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

I am MAGA.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X

Wrong

I mow every 4-5 days

Might be that other fella you slum around with that I'm thinking about...
I frankly enjoy cutting grass anymore. Winters over, weather is nice and i can sit and think for a bit while still feeling like I'm doing something.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
One thing is certain.......things cannot stay the same for 5 minutes.

Been close to death twice in distant past.....once totally my fault. Giving up really never crossed the mind.

The plan is to go down kicking, whenever that happens.

Ever see that drawing of a buffalo standing against a blowing snowstorm. "Waiting for a Chinook" I think was the title. That has been me for the last year and a half.

Ron, You finding even the smallest good thing in the toughest of spots is inspiration to those of less difficult circumstance. Thanks for posting.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
We don’t live for ourselves unless we are too shallow to be of any value. Any decent human is of value to those connected to them, and much of the worth of life is in being here to bring positive things to the lives of others. The positive things we receive in return are the result of a good life, not what makes it.

There is still much good in this world, for those who choose to see and enjoy it. It’s what we choose to look at that colors our life. A lesson I am still learning, and have made pretty good strides at lately. Happier than I have been in years, and the only thing that changed was my perspective. Think about all the good things in your life, be thankful the bad wasn’t worse, and spend your energy treasuring what remains, rather than dreading its loss. May your road straighten and the wind be ever at your back. And may you be smart enough to enjoy it.

+1 Well said.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Hell yeah!

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sitting in a hospital room in my mid twenties wondering what why and how as I looked at my wife to be. Test after test followed by guess after guess. Finally they figured it out and delivered the instantly life altering news that condemned us to a life together of uncertainty as to when and where and how bad it would strike her down again.

She gave me the option, said she wouldn’t blame me or hold it against me if I wanted to call it off and just walk away. I couldn’t even think of it, to be so cruel and heartless to the only woman I’d ever really fell in love with.

Been almost fifteen years we’ve been together and married almost a decade.
Almost a decade since I more or less quit giving a schit about anything that I don’t choose to give a schit about. Lawn needs cut, fugg it I feel like going fishing. Garage is a wreck and needs organized, not going to happen if it’s hunting season. My dad doesn’t understand and really most other guys don’t either and that’s probably a good thing, in my dad’s case it means he’s never had to endure the kind of stress I do daily by not knowing.

For me I keep pushing because my wife and my son depend on me. Forgetting about the superficial stuff like keeping my grass manicured gets some little bit of stress out of my life. Taking my little boy to the lake and watching him drive the boat or catch a few fish let’s me temporarily forget the responsibilities that I have with more on the horizon someday. That to me is worth all the gold in Fort Knox.

Hang tough, you’ll get it sorted out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Wrong

I mow every 4-5 days

Might be that other fella you slum around with that I'm thinking about...
I frankly enjoy cutting grass anymore. Winters over, weather is nice and i can sit and think for a bit while still feeling like I'm doing something.

That’s it.

My time to myself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm looking forward to death, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna give up on life.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only thing that makes sense is we do it for our family

This

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.