-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I quit using my multiple chronographs,a coupla years ago. I KNOW with good brass,propellants of repute and a Smooch,that my SD's are amazingly trite. Hint.

I also KNOW,that I test glass mechanics and that the deviations there,will reliably blow minds. My gut hunch is you bought The NightFarce Koolaid and are gunning assumptions. That's correlated in your final thoughts,as you address come-ups that the NightFarce simply can NOT contend(.10 MOA "graduations"). Tall 100yd paper as cited prior by Mallard,is a fhuqking requisite. Hint.

Once you KNOW how your erector behaves(total mechanical swings,along with zoom actuations),then you can correlate WTF is happening downrange,as you steer bullets with same. Read that again. Now one more fhuqking time. Less same,you are pissing up LOTS of ropes. Hint.

"G7's" are a lovely Factoid to cast about,but it don't do fhuqk all for Optic's Integrity. Cut a concise G1 by 50% and you "resolve" it's G7. From there,factor if scope mechanics can account for the "discrepancy". Hint.

Personally,I'm shooting come-ups in good conditions,with distance nearing a platform's Transonic Slip. I simply backtrack from there,as good input in,yields DOPE in accordance to a known erector's abilities. Hint.

In this manner,there is no bogus muzzle velocity to fixate and ONLY mechanical come-ups matter,which is how POA/POI are aligned. There's no "fast" barrel or "slow" barrel fhuqking bullschit,there's simply a known optic,correcting a known bullet,at a known range in a known atmosphere. The hits are real and zero fhuqking else matters. Hint.

From there,repeats are easily ascertained through the erector's threshold and it's easy to establish a baseline of hit connect expectation,as per mechanics. That leaves Atmospherics in it's own World,as it should be and another Thread. Hint.

PROVE the NightFarce. First. Hint.

Thank me later.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I do agree. Being new to long range I was looking for short cuts with numbers coming out of a black box and hoping things lined up for hits.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One can purchase "odds" and there are some seriously well known routes,from which to arrange same. That being said,it only takes a few shots to correlate a platform's relative ability. Glass is fhuqking KEY,because despite the bullschit,it ALL revolves around same. There are some "KNOWN" quantities,but they too warrant being proven in context. Hint.

Keeping angular measurement as a fixture,will help most. That ".25 MOA" "click" graduation at 100 yards,soon becomes a "halfa fhuqking foot "click" downrange(perhaps rightfully subtended). Hint.

"Odds" are in this day and age,that implements and ammo are fairly sound,as juxtaposed against Legendary Tales. The weak link being Optics and their schitty "abilities",which are glossed over and "explained". Hint. LAUGHING!

Shots were/are "heralded",with wares that preclude their mechanical ability to even fhuqking arrange same! I'll let The Lore Live. Hint. LAUGHING!

Simply start at the fhuqking start,if only as per always.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I follow your diatribe but you could cut out most of the fhuqking crap and get to the point with much less BS...and your point is most oft quite well taken. You can be very helpful and instructional when you want. Hint.....Thanks!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MsQueen,

I get it that you are a NEEDY Kchunt and a Brokedick to boot. Hint.

I simply Post Facts,that ain't refuted...to The Chagrin Of Crying Clueless Fhuqks EVERYWHERE. Hint.

Laughing!.......................

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

EDIT: using Litz's G7 and my original velocity, I am right about where I should be. 10.6 MOA using my original velocity vs. 11.0 MOA using a 73 fps reduced velocity.

Glad you got it sorted out.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
There are really no short cuts ,get a target a buddy with a 4 wheeler start moving the target farther and farther away and shoot at 50 yard intervals or so. When you are put into a position where you only have one shot and nail it you will not regret doing the homework.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killahog
There are really no short cuts ,get a target a buddy with a 4 wheeler start moving the target farther and farther away and shoot at 50 yard intervals or so. When you are put into a position where you only have one shot and nail it you will not regret doing the homework.

Well yeah, trajectory validation refers to the process of confirming model predictions using actual drop data.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First shot of the morning,required 28 Mils erector correction(530yds),from an 18lb + Vudoo's 50yd zero. Rifle/ammo both at ambient,as it lives in my crummy. I called the wind at half-value,which was a subtle 3 Mil's windage slide and it was money. Hint.

Rifle had never seen a chronograph or a 4-wheeler,though it do wear an erector of repute and the "surprises" were/are nil. DOPE is factored in 10yd increments and simply tracked backwards from mechanical erector travel ceiling,conjoined with it's (10 ) Mil's of reticle,which of course reliably aligns POA/POI from the muzzle to same. Hint.

Flipside and sliding numbers about...with a 139 Skinner and .285 G7 at the de-tuned 2772fps launch speed with a 100yd zero,in the moment's current atmosphere,28 Mil's of elevation would be knocking on the 1750yd line's door,though obviously on the dark side of the Transonic Slip. To catch 6 Mil full value wind correction requisite,one would need to drive the parcel past the 2000yd line. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Not to diminish the oblivious humor of The Traveling Cardboard Circus Troupe,their "abilities","knowledge" or "results". The modest solution that puzzled the OP,was founded. Enter reticles which align erectors start to finish and at all magnifications and the "AMAZING" and "INCREDIBLE",simply become fhuqking mundane,as all correlates nicely with Base Ten "math". There's no fiddle fhuqking around,to the chagrin of Clueless Drooling Dumbfhuqks the World over. Hint.

Laughing!................

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting that and your methodology

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have a new rifle,I may get to tomorrow. No matter who's barrel it is,whether OEM or Custom,they all get cleaned sterile. JB/Kroil for me,but I've used it all. Hint.

KNOWING well in advance,the particulars of the Trifecta which matters most(RPM/COAL Latitude/Throat Geometry),it's easy to pick THE bullet. In this instance,a .284" 180 ELD M and it's .790-ish BC. With Virgin brass and a new Lot of powder,I'll kiss square and shoot a couple rounds to find pressure(while putting a light season on the bore) and mag feeding the works handily. That all before even mounting the fhuqking scope and it never seeing a chronograph. Hint.

From there,I'll conjoin rings/rail/glass that have an unerring track record,boresight and shoot a hole in 100yd paper. From there,I'll subtend POA/POI correlations,adjust same for a 250yd zero and toss a proven SWAG velocity at the whole enchilada. From there I'll go straight to 900yd steel,shoot a couple rounds and backtrack any inconsistencies. That less a fret of ES,SD or erector woe(s). With that info in hand and well under 10 pokes on a new platform,I'll have a good feel for it's Transonic Slip and will look to validate projections in it's realm. From there,it's simply a matter of shooting a barrel out while chasing lands,then simply rinse and repeat(more RPM on it's replacement,for 190 Beer Cans). Hint.

These numbers,will be SCARY close and I've yet to seat a primer. Hint.

The reticle alone,gets it to the 1300yd line and it's Supersonic to 1800yds+,in the toughest of atmospheres. Full value(10mph right angle) wind is a hilariously paltry 1.4 Mil's at the 1000yd line. 1575yds full value wind correction in a 20mph condition,is only 5 fhuqking Mil's. There really ain't much fhuqking to it. Hint.

Just sayin' and food for thunkin',aboard a "lowly" Rem 700 Factory rifle,that I gave a "whopping" $650 for. It's in the middle of today's Mail. Hint.................

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Backtracking from 900, at distances are you connecting dots to finish the trajectory curve?

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At 900yds,there's no way to miss steel due trajectory. It's a simplistic matter to ring same,subtend impact and either add or subtract velocity,to align the trajectory curve if needed. From there I want to go far,rinse and repeat,to get a feel for alignment towards the Transonic Slip. Hardly daunting,to tune a new platform/load,with but a modest number of rounds. The simplicity blows minds and creates THE warmest of fuzzies,because repeats are as per whim. Hint.

Outlander turned out nice on the Bart' 224 Speedmire,though it's trying to Chinook this morning. Hint.....................

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Backtracking from 900, at distances are you connecting dots to finish the trajectory curve?

He didn’t mention it explicitly in that post describing his process, but part of “backtracking” is confirming actual turret adjustment increments, which can be done using a TTT (tall-target test). By removing that variable from the equation, any inconsistencies in trajectory can be traced back to either velocity or BC error (or possibly a little of both), assuming all your other inputs are correct.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I thought I'd mentioned the importance of tracking prior?!? Hint.(grin)

At 900 any/all POA/POI discrepancy is easily subtend via the reticle,which is of course speaking fluently in the same language as the reticle. I'm not a Strelok Guy and LOVE AE for the ease in which to arrange same. You simply denote the subtended correction and enter it's value whether high(fast) or low(slow),denote the range and the corresponding comeups are backtracked less a chronograph,in a single shot. Values are of course correlated to erector value(1/10 Mil),for both trajectory and windage. Though it's faster/easier than it sounds,even if it sounds EASY,because it fhuqking is. You can continually correct/quantify an initial solution. Hint.

The approach makes it a breeze,to sort both new Lots of powder and/or temp swings. The gains are fhuqking HUGE when gunning Long Range Rimfire,because the requisite corrections are HUGE in comparison and modest deviations accrue quickly. I'm 40-50 Mil's deep in elevation daily with them. Temps/atmospherics tend to sway them more than a "smidge" too and that in itself is interesting and applicable to other platforms. With any/all new Lots of ammo,Powder or bullets,I'm HOPING nothing changes...but if it do,a couple shots will resolve all and I KNOW what is going on. Hint.

A GREAT Rule Of Thumb,is to simply factor a scope as being compromised in tracking/repeats and zero retention,until you have PROVEN that it is not. Folks are in a hurry to justify and make excuses to the opposite,which while being funnier than fhuqk,will scatter alotta projectiles about needlessly and to no end. Be MEAN to your glass,in regards to mechanics and make it PROVE itself. Less that,you are perpetually pissing up ropes. Read that again. Now one more time.

It's as easy as you want it to be and much of that depends on how you cut the check(s). Hint.

Just sayin'..................

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Haha, indeed! And I mentioned it prior to that, but it warrants yet another mention to drive home the importance.

Been using AE/FTE since its inception, and after having spent time playing with nearly all of them, it remains my favourite ballistic app. Early on I asked the app developers to add the option to calibrate trajectory by varying either the BC or velocity parameters, and they said they would but never have. Doesn’t matter all that much, but would be a nice feature.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Stick and Jordan. And yes, I have read responses multiple times!

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Haha, indeed! And I mentioned it prior to that, but it warrants yet another mention to drive home the importance.

Been using AE/FTE since its inception, and after having spent time playing with nearly all of them, it remains my favourite ballistic app. Early on I asked the app developers to add the option to calibrate trajectory by varying either the BC or velocity parameters, and they said they would but never have. Doesn’t matter all that much, but would be a nice feature.

AE does allow velocity calibration, but alas, no BC calibration.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sure it does. Concoct whatever potion you wish and simply calculate,then add to Favorites. Go to Favorites,pull it up,hit "load",go to BC and do whatever you please. Bump the change you deem requisite,calculate and you are done. Hint.

While it isn't Cruise Control like velocity,you can still get there in seconds. If it suits you,can correct both,in whatever percentage you factor to be the driving force. Hint.................

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Of course. I was vague, but meant there was no automated process as with the velocity truing function. But yes, one can do it manually. My son, a friend and I were shooting out to a mile yesterday. And both process work pretty well.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (160user, 219DW, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 48 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,676
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.