-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too much wind depends on the boat, lake, operator, wind direction, etc.

GB1

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wanting to get my hands on the weather guy... What is it with the weather apps and forecasts changing every 2 hours?

I bought a boat! Is a little consideration too much to ask for???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've been keeping my boat ramp receipts. So far I have about 10 river trips this year. I intend to get my money's worth out of a yearly pass.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Morewood
I've been keeping my boat ramp receipts. So far I have about 10 river trips this year. I intend to get my money's worth out of a yearly pass.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Chasing striper?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I was also a boat virgin until a month ago. Launched my 2021 Tracker Classic XL by myself. It didn't go as well as I'd imagined, but I did get it backed down on the first try and afloat. Remembered the plug, but as I left the marina, it occurred to me that I had left the storage unit wide open - had just driven out with the boat and forgot to close the door. Cut my initial trip short with the thought of returning to a cleaned out unit and a subsequent furious wife.

Luckily, the staff there saw the open door and no me. They closed and locked it. Nothing stolen.

Two more trips under my belt now, and I'm getting better at approaching the dock and trailer to load. Found both to be tricky in the wind with a light aluminum boat.

when I launch by myself, I put a rope on the bow, tied to the trailer back up slowly hit the brakes and let it slide off then go tie it off on the cleats and pull the truck out.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Rooster7
You did better than me when I did my maiden voyage in my new to me, 1990 Fishhawk back in 2001. 40 mph NW winds. Ramp faced west.

I just had to get the boat out, much to the dismay of my wife.

I remembered everything I needed for a day on the rough water.

Except the plug...

blush

my old man did that on the ottawa river years ago. we barely got the boat back on the trailer just enough to strap it and pull out. not a good way to start your day. old man could sling the curse words.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Rooster7
You did better than me when I did my maiden voyage in my new to me, 1990 Fishhawk back in 2001. 40 mph NW winds. Ramp faced west.

I just had to get the boat out, much to the dismay of my wife.

I remembered everything I needed for a day on the rough water.

Except the plug...

blush

My maiden voyage consisted of me backing down the ramp..... Backed the boat out then forward next to the dock and tied it off.... Got out and parked the truck.... While parking the truck I got to talking the guy next to me for about 5 - 10 minutes or so. ...... Once done chatting I walked back to the dock in utter disbelief that someone stole my boat, it was gone..... Old man fishing off the dock was shaking his head and looking sorrowful at me as I was being creative with my language..... When I asked him if he saw who took my boat he said nope...... I asked how could he not notice when he was standing right there the whole time?..... He shakes his head and told me that he didn't see anyone take my boat because nobody did take my boat..... Wtf?? He laughs and told me to look closer....... Yep! My boat was there alright..... 3ft below water..... Apparently the guy I just bought it from the day before didn't tell me the plug was missing and I was so excited at my first boat that the plug was the last thing on my mind, all I wanted to do was get it wet..... Well she got wet and 30yrs later I still have that boat and I still check the plug first thing๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

ฮœฮŸฮ›ฮฉฮ ฮ›ฮ‘ฮ’ฮ•
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Early spring is always a fun time around the boat ramps. New boaters can put on quite a show loading and unloading boats.

Opening fishing weekend, grab a cooler of beer and a lawn chair. Sit down at a busy access and enjoy the show.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
For my new boat was Tuesday. Bought a 2016 Crestliner 1650 Fish Hawk.
On the Rock River near Sterling Illinois. Sheltered ramp and plenty of deep water to keep the newb out of trouble. (Winds gusting to 25mph)

I need someone else to start another boat thread so I can now chip in as an expert.
I mean, I did it once, right?

I do have a couple of short cell phone vids that I have no idea how to post.

Pretty pleased with myself for just an hour or so boat ride

I have never been passed the rock River when the wind wasn't blowing 25 mph.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Me and the boy grabbed my old man and hit a little lake about 30 miles from here this afternoon. When we got there it was like a mirror. Put the boat in and the plugs out and started our first pass down the dam. Caught 4 fish in no time when we noticed a weather copter hovering and looking at a storm cloud to our north. The water went from glass to rolling whitecaps in less than 3 minutes, temp dropped about 15 degrees too. We rolled them up and wallowed our way crosswind back to the ramp. It was pretty rough and we were all pretty wet when we made it back. Had a hell of a rodeo getting loaded up but we finally managed.

Not fun, Iโ€™d guess 30-35mph winds and 2 1/2 foot waves, more than I like in my 15โ€™ boat with a 20hp tiller and my 5 year old onboard. Glad we had Pop with us or Iโ€™d have had a tough time getting it loaded.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fester

Chasing striper?

More a pleasure cruise that day but yeah, keeping tabs on stripers.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I typical will not fish in winds 20 mph or more with my bass boat, unless it is a tournament. My aluminum river boat, 15 mph and Iโ€™m saying screw it, no joy. I have bilge pumps, I havenโ€™t pulled the plugs in my bass boat in the past 5 years.

CK
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
we regularly fish in 4-5ft sea's but it takes getting used to, they don't call them sea legs for nothing.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I upgraded my canoe from a little 10 footer to a whopping 17 footer over the winter, looking to conquer the big lakes this summer.

"Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
- Ralph Lauretano
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Me and the old lady used to take two kids, a labrador, toy box, cooler and grill in an 18 1/2 Sawyer Charger
Never felt like we needed more room or capacity.

The only canoe left in the garage is a 16 1/2 foot Swift
I feel overloaded just looking at it

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not the first time..

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we regularly fish in 4-5ft sea's but it takes getting used to, they don't call them sea legs for nothing.

And I'd like to fish like you fish. But probably not in water like that.

Too old and creaky...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

This picture is from our first time out in my boat - Iโ€™m not the guy in the picture.

Spoonbill are a blast - get on those fish boys..

We had our second trip this week and nailed a couple more 40lbers

[Linked Image]

Guy in the pic looks sorta familiar ... ๐Ÿ˜‘

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Pretty cool video, JeffA

Love the floating bait shop...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Pretty cool video, JeffA

Love the floating bait shop...

And I know nothing of that part of Florida. Looking at a map, and being a small boat owner, I can see wanting to change that. Guessing a guy could get seriously turned around in some of those waters? Guessing most of them must be marked?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,263
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.