Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

This picture is from our first time out in my boat - Iā€™m not the guy in the picture.

Spoonbill are a blast - get on those fish boys..

We had our second trip this week and nailed a couple more 40lbers

[Linked Image]

Guy in the pic looks sorta familiar ... šŸ˜‘

The one with the schnozz? Or the beard?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

This picture is from our first time out in my boat - Iā€™m not the guy in the picture.

Spoonbill are a blast - get on those fish boys..

We had our second trip this week and nailed a couple more 40lbers

[Linked Image]

Guy in the pic looks sorta familiar ... šŸ˜‘

Yep.. We all live in Kansas City, meaning there was man on the boat of the same caliber, both are really great guys.
This specific fish is a good 25lbs smaller than the one he caught on our last trip, but it was banded - he put the band pictures on facebook.

I have at least one more spooner trip before I convert over for catfish & walleye for the year.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 04/11/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we regularly fish in 4-5ft sea's but it takes getting used to, they don't call them sea legs for nothing.

And I'd like to fish like you fish. But probably not in water like that.

Too old and creaky...

yeah sometimes get pretty sore, hurt my back last yr when we hit a big wave unexpectedly, couldn't fish for a few weeks till it got better.

Last edited by stxhunter; 04/11/21.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty cool video, JeffA

Love the floating bait shop...

And I know nothing of that part of Florida. Looking at a map, and being a small boat owner, I can see wanting to change that. Guessing a guy could get seriously turned around in some of those waters? Guessing most of them must be marked?

It's very shallow water outside of the channels, gotta know your way around.

Bonnie has had that bait shop out there for about 25 years, she's 83 years old and out there every day.

In 2019 she sunk in a big storm, she treaded water for 2 1/2 hours before she was rescued.
The community banned together and got her boat back up and running.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we regularly fish in 4-5ft sea's but it takes getting used to, they don't call them sea legs for nothing.

When you have sea legs they also work good as ski legs. We went snow skiing for the first time with a few other couples. They said that my legs would give out and be really sore from skiing. I had some issues learning how to snow ski but sore legs weren't one of them.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Paul_M
Originally Posted by ironbender
Always have an extra plug or two wired inside the boat somewhere.

When I was a kid on my dad's boat he had the plug fall out why we were out using it. He ran the boat around to drain the water, pulled up to the dock and had me jump out and run up to the boat shop to buy a plug while he kept driving the boat around to keep the water drained. Fun Times!

Plug just fell out huh?

lol your Dad is a sly one!

hahaha

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's pretty cool about the bait lady.

Are all of the apparent channels and waterways downstream of Homosassa considered brackish? Salt?

Is any of the river above Homosassa brackish?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good question.

I've wanted to be able to test it in a few spots outta curiosity but never have.

I'd suppose close to the 1st, 2and and 3rd magnitude springs it's inevitable for there to be brackish waters to some degree but outside of the direct areas around them, not so much, it dilutes quickly.

The 'flats' areas and all up in around the barrier islands are very effected by the daily tides.
None of those areas seem to support freshwater fishes like the Everglades do.
The gators are even rare visitors.

A lot of springs people think are fresh water are actually salt water.
Just yesterday when the current storm front we're having was moving in we had a lot of associated wind, it coincided with a incoming high tide.

The tide pool behind my house looked like it had a fountain in the middle of it. There are natural crevices and possibly a small vent in the bottom of the pool. The tide was coming in quickly being pushed by the winds.
This forced the incoming saltwater to come ripping out of those crevices making it appear like a first magnitude spring.
I suppose it does qualify as being a spring of sorts, just not a freshwater one.

If you're looking at the map, I'm in the Ozello Keys in between Homosassa River and Crystal River.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.