Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15983442 04/11/21
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Those things seem to be hard to find. We've been considering trading pickups later this summer so I've been looking to see what's available. We need a 3/4 ton with 4 doors and a long bed. The 4 doors are easy but in new or lightly used pickups, I've only seen 1 available with a long bed. It was a Ford F350 with a 6.2.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check with dealers who handle a lot of fleet sales. They tend to order pickups outfitted with the 8' bed and many of them have decent comfort packages. The last crew cab long bed I bought came out of Texas; I just flew down and drove it home.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Back in 1998, I bought a 3/4 T Ford, extended cab, long bed.I asked the sales person if Ford was ever going to come out with a short box.He said they would never sell.Now that is all you see. That long bed ford and a 20 ft gooseneck took 5 acres to turn around in.Even the truck itself could not do a U turn on a 6 lane road using all three lanes in the other direction

I don't need a long bed as I mostly used my truck to pull a goose neck.However, things changed and I went to a slide in camper and 3 horse slant bumper pull as I got older.Still a 4 door with long bed is way too long to get turned around in tight places. I do need the extra cab,but I went with the double cab which is about 6" shorter than the crew cab.
My slide in pop up is 6'-6" and Chevy's short bed was long enough. Dodge cut their short box down even more to about 6"-2 or 3".

I see a few long bed,with 4 doors, but most are std cabs around here.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There are 2 things I haul that require a long bed. I load my 50" Razor which fits in nicely. Then during hunting season, I load a stock rack to haul llamas and pull a camp trailer.
I have a diesel now but don't haul enough weight to need it. It's nice to be sure, but for me it's not worth the expense.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cars.com is your friend.

You can filter right down to what you reallu need.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
RAM.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Cars.com is your friend.

You can filter right down to what you reallu need.
Car.com has a deficiency in that they don't give a bed length, at least not that I can find. You have to scroll through their photos hoping they'll show a side view. It does stick to the 100 year old Ford motto though: You can get any color you want as long as it's black white.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
in the used Fords a pretty fair amount of long boxes show up in these parts , most of which are diesels

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'll never buy a short bed. Made that mistake once and will never do it again. My current truck is a 2020 F250 crew with 8' bed. The newer fords seem to have a better turning radius than the older ones.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have to have a long bed. I haul llamas in an 8' stock rack and my RZR fits in one, too, although the tail gate comes 4" short of closing. I have to tie it shut.

― George Orwell

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Every one I know who went from a 8ft box to short box regrets it. I have a RAM 4 door with long box. My wife dislike driving it in town, but it really isn't that bad. Says it's difficult to park. Heck she parks the suburban crooked so I wonder if its the pick-up or...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My long bed is also a Ram 4 door. It's a shade over 20' long so it won't fit in any standard garage. It has a huge turning radius. In town, I park it at the back of parking lots. I need the exercise anyway.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There is a long bed 4 door RAM new in our town. Just one and white. $66,000

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd be looking on Autotrader.com myself. You can specify anything you want. Lenztruck.com always has 800 trucks on their lot and will ship anywhere in the country. I went from an F-150 8' regular cab to a 6 3/4' Super Cab to a 6.5' four door Super Crew. Sure it takes a bit farther to turn it around, but once you have the wind broken with the front of the vehicle, it doesn't matter if you are 19' long or 20' long. It isn't my daily driver, so that size works for me and rides better than a short box. You can put little stuff in a big truck, but you can't put big stuff in a little truck.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My long bed is also a Ram 4 door. It's a shade over 20' long so it won't fit in any standard garage. It has a huge turning radius. In town, I park it at the back of parking lots. I need the exercise anyway.

A huge turning radius? The 98 and earlier Ford's were the worst and the 99 to 2004 weren't much better.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Dave Smith use to have the best prices, I don't know if they still do.

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am the opposite,I'd never buy another long bed unless it was a 2 door.I have trailers to haul anything I need to.My last experience I had was with a 85 ford dually, extended cab. Took a few acres just to turn it around. Hell in traffic and hook a 20ft gooseneck to it and you are severely limited to where you go. Forget maneuvering a big bumper pull. Stick that 20 ft gooseneck on a short bed and you can almost turn it it around on a 2 lane road.Only draw back is that gooseneck will come around mighty quick and sure ding the truck cab if you are not careful

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
IOnly draw back is that gooseneck will come around mighty quick and sure ding the truck cab if you are not careful

There are fifth wheel hitches that slide back preventing the trailer from contacting the cab of you pick-up. I forget the brand I saw, but they work pretty slick.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
IOnly draw back is that gooseneck will come around mighty quick and sure ding the truck cab if you are not careful

There are fifth wheel hitches that slide back preventing the trailer from contacting the cab of you pick-up. I forget the brand I saw, but they work pretty slick.

I have seen them for 5th wheel but not gooseneck

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I am the opposite,I'd never buy another long bed unless it was a 2 door.I have trailers to haul anything I need to.My last experience I had was with a 85 ford dually, extended cab. Took a few acres just to turn it around. Hell in traffic and hook a 20ft gooseneck to it and you are severely limited to where you go. Forget maneuvering a big bumper pull. Stick that 20 ft gooseneck on a short bed and you can almost turn it it around on a 2 lane road.Only draw back is that gooseneck will come around mighty quick and sure ding the truck cab if you are not careful

Ditto.

Had an extended cab w 8’ bed. I think wheel base was close to current super duty 4 door w short bed.

I would hate to be turning around even my GN (29’?) on a long bed.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I have seen them for 5th wheel but not gooseneck

They make a couple different options for a gooseneck. B&W Extend-a-goose

B&W Extend-a-ball

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.