Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I talked to my doc last week. Cholesterol is good (I’m on a statin so it’s working), BP is good (lisinopril, so that’s working), but my A1c is an RCH from diabetes. I’ve been a fat fûck for the last decade (gained 30 in the last 3 years) and the bill is due.

Tired of being tired. I can still hunt but it takes a lot more out of me. Sat down with wifey. Made the commitment to eat better and move more. Sure, I’ve made the promise before, but the specter of a physical breakdown seemed much more remote. Now I have a piece of paper that says “You’re killing yourself, dumbass.”

We’re gonna pay off the house next week. Financially set in IRA/401K, both of us. Great jobs, both of us. Great marriage. Now I just need to learn how to put the fork down.

Kinda looking forward to see if I can do it. I know what the consequences are if I don’t.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good on ya, many are facing the same situation with aging....

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i got an extra 25 i don't need. it don't come off at 59 like it did at 39.

My diploma is a DD214
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
One heavy guy to another clean up your diet and exercise. The pounds will fall off and you won’t stress your body trying to lose it quickly. My bet you will feel better and continue the lifestyle. Good luck.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Pharmseller, activity, as well as diet, is key. Not just aerobic, but weights or some other form of resistance training. Past 40, people lose muscle mass unless they work to maintain it. A pound of muscle at rest burns 21 calories in 24 hours. A pound of fat only burns 9. So start working out, but start gently. The older you are, the easier it is to hurt yourself, as I'm painfully aware. Really cut back on the sweets, too. The less sugar you eat, the less you tend to want it. But don't deny yourself a treat on occasion. Just make it small and infrequent. Best of luck to you.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I talked to my doc last week. Cholesterol is good (I’m on a statin so it’s working), BP is good (lisinopril, so that’s working), but my A1c is an RCH from diabetes. I’ve been a fat fûck for the last decade (gained 30 in the last 3 years) and the bill is due.

Tired of being tired. I can still hunt but it takes a lot more out of me. Sat down with wifey. Made the commitment to eat better and move more. Sure, I’ve made the promise before, but the specter of a physical breakdown seemed much more remote. Now I have a piece of paper that says “You’re killing yourself, dumbass.”

We’re gonna pay off the house next week. Financially set in IRA/401K, both of us. Great jobs, both of us. Great marriage. Now I just need to learn how to put the fork down.

Kinda looking forward to see if I can do it. I know what the consequences are if I don’t.

P

Carbs and sugar, get rid of them ASAP!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not so much put the fork down as be pretty careful of what's on it on the way to your mouth. I kind of played around with lowering my A1c from 10 a few years ago, got it under 7, but stayed right there. Finally got serious and cut out most carbs, and work out more. It's been 6.2 for a few quarters, planning on bringing it down a bit more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eat clean and increase physical activity. Consistently. Low carb is a good way to go too.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bet you will lose those meds once you have cleaned the diet up and start exercising.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
for me, it's drinking beer all day, lost 25lbs but gained it back the last two months since I stopped working. now I need to start walking or find something to get me some more exercise, maybe get an extra girlfriend...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This isn't as hard as you might think. I started exercising regularly, weekday mornings at the YMCA about 8 years ago. My cholesterol is unbelievably low but my blood sugar requires me to take a pill every morning. I cut some food out completely, I have moderated some others and no drama. You've got this, you'll do fine.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Not so much put the fork down as be pretty careful of what's on it on the way to your mouth. I kind of played around with lowering my A1c from 10 a few years ago, got it under 7, but stayed right there. Finally got serious and cut out most carbs, and work out more. It's been 6.2 for a few quarters, planning on bringing it down a bit more.

isnt that number a good one?.......I thought 6.7 and below were good....bob

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
for me, it's drinking beer all day, lost 25lbs but gained it back the last two months since I stopped working. now I need to start walking or find something to get me some more exercise, maybe get an extra girlfriend...

These?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy yourself some quality workout equipment. (You have the money....Grins)

Make a place in your house for it, and start using it 4 days a week.

It’s expensive, maybe look for used, or closeout from a health club. New is nice !

For me, having quality workout equipment has been helpful...I’ve torn up 3 Bowflex machines over the years.

This piece of equipment has kicked my ass.

https://totalbodyexperts.com/spirit...OgjBQvZ38NZkDzj9gTR6Phx_-RxoCsjUQAvD_BwE

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobMt

Dr told me he'd like to see it at 6.0 or lower, Eye Dr said 6.5 or lower to avoid eye trouble.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
maybe get an extra girlfriend...

Rog,

My three hoe’s keep me in shape!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read an article where it stated with age we have a tendency to substitute our thirst response with hunger and that was put forth as the reason for snacking and weight gain. Regardless if that is true how about substituting a large tumbler of water for snacks? The water substitution has been working for me.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best wishes on your quest - looking forward to the good news.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BobMt

I had a doc tell me I was borderline diabetic with low insulin resistance with A1c at 5 9 and 6.0 is diabetes. I've heard others say diabetes is at 7.0, so I'm unsure what the magic number is. When I asked the doc how to prevent becoming diabetic, he suggested watching my carb intake and place more emphasis on weights/resistance training vs cardio for exercise. I try to do that anyway but really focused on that going forward. Within a few months, my A1c which been a steady 5.9 for years dropped to 5.7 and they tell me it's just fine now. If I didn't like beer so much, I'd probably be skinny grin

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've noticed with a chronic lack of sleep I eat more for energy I should be getting from being rested. YMMV

LOL
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.