Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've recently noticed that my data usage online has jumped drastically. All of my internet comes via my cell phone acting as a hotspot and I've been doing this for a number of years now, successfully.

My phone records where data is used, in a general way. I know that over 95% of my data is used through the hotspot.

I purchase 15 gigs of (high speed) data monthly, and generally use about 10-12 gigs mostly between here and youtube. I'd expect youtube to be the principal data user, but recent events at the "fire have caught my attention. Note that I almost always end each month with a data surplus.

I generally check my available data allowance weekly or so. A day or so before THIS EVENT, 27 March on the fire I had 4.something gigs remaining for the month. And yes, my monthly data allowance begins on the 1st day of the month.

The day following the event linked to above I was notified by my cellular provider that I was almost out of high speed data. I ran out of data and elected not to purchase more before my renewal. On the 1st of the month i began anew with 15 gigs available once again. My browsing habits have not changed. I ran out of data today...

I no longer see the ad videos that resulted in THE EVENT link above. But it was the day after they appeared that my extreme data usage was noted. Could it be that something is running in the background of the 'Fire that is gobbling data?

I have also noted that HD video has become more common on youtube. But I've always been cautious and conscious of that and mostly take steps to limit data usage there.

Has anyone else noted using a LOT MORE data?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't look at you event link, but
My personal experience with battery vs. Data is that if my device switches to landscape mode then a video ad starts running and uses all my juice.

Maybe that's what age your data.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been running out of high speed the last few months where I never used to have issues. I do browse on the 'fire with my phone, but just assumed it was due to YouTube video streaming. Interesting...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by johnw
I've recently noticed that my data usage online has jumped drastically. All of my internet comes via my cell phone acting as a hotspot and I've been doing this for a number of years now, successfully.

My phone records where data is used, in a general way. I know that over 95% of my data is used through the hotspot.

I purchase 15 gigs of (high speed) data monthly, and generally use about 10-12 gigs mostly between here and youtube. I'd expect youtube to be the principal data user, but recent events at the "fire have caught my attention. Note that I almost always end each month with a data surplus.

I generally check my available data allowance weekly or so. A day or so before THIS EVENT, 27 March on the fire I had 4.something gigs remaining for the month. And yes, my monthly data allowance begins on the 1st day of the month.

The day following the event linked to above I was notified by my cellular provider that I was almost out of high speed data. I ran out of data and elected not to purchase more before my renewal. On the 1st of the month i began anew with 15 gigs available once again. My browsing habits have not changed. I ran out of data today...

I no longer see the ad videos that resulted in THE EVENT link above. But it was the day after they appeared that my extreme data usage was noted. Could it be that something is running in the background of the 'Fire that is gobbling data?

I have also noted that HD video has become more common on youtube. But I've always been cautious and conscious of that and mostly take steps to limit data usage there.

Has anyone else noted using a LOT MORE data?

I just got that notice from My provider not 5 minutes ago! And I never run out of high-speed data.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That little video advertisement up in the right corner of the screen might have something to do with it?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have unlimited data so I don't pay attention to it, but I did notice a major change around that time.
The YouTube videos are unusable when I'm logged in..
I cannot watch any that are posted. All that I see is a pixilated frown face at each post that has YT.

Has anybody else been getting that?

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 04/11/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I also use my phone as a hot-spot to check this site and my email. This month, for the first time ever, I capped out my 15 Gb limit, well before the end of the month. I haven't changed my on-line routine and until your post, had no idea what may have caused my additional usage. We have an unlimited Verizon plan, but when my hot-spot speed went down to about 500 K, we found out Verizon's unlimited plan actually limits hot-spot usage to 15 Gb.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
We have used mobile hot spot internet from several providers. T-Mobile had good service, but they would make a hidden jump in the middle of the night and you were out of service. Not out of high speed, out of service until you coughed up more money. We had a usage program running at that time and they racked up 5 gigs one night. Nothing showed up on the computer as an update, we were in bed. So don't ASSUME you are being tracked accurately, they have ways of making money. But I bet you will never prove the error is on their end.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Adblockers kill the ads but only after they come through the air. You're still paying to get them

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Adblockers kill the ads but only after they come through the air. You're still paying to get them

Then it is that bulshit video.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All data comes through the air, ads included. Your phone records how much you receive & send and you're charged accordingly. The question is when the ads are recorded. If the adblocker is on a browser, you pay to receive the data, ad included, on your phone before it gets to the blocker.

A few weeks ago someone posted a way to stop the ads before they hit the airways. I'll try to find it. Hopefully someone will beat me to it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got Adblock and that damn video still plays on and on.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A DUckduck search says chrome has an add on to determine how much a site uses.

Maybe check the ‘fire with that.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've had the same issue and wondered if it is that video in the upper right hand corner.

Anybody know if there is a way of turning it off?

I run Adblocker but the video still shows up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Adblocker killed the video but the placeholder is still there. I don't know how to check if the video is playing and eating up data but just not showing it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got unlimited data so I dont care at how much I use..... Adblock got rid of the upper right hand video, so again I dont care.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well...

I purchased more data, and will see how things go.

My wife has unlimited data on her phone plan, but speeds are throttled down severely when she turns on the hotspot on her phone. I've been using her hotspot to access the fire so I can preserve the extra data I bought.

On that note, I'll mention that I've used her hotspot often before, and most threads and pages on the 'fire load almost normally. Or at least they did until recently. Now, using her throttled back hotspot, even a thread without pics or video takes from probably 15-30 seconds to load. Threads with pics or video are to be avoided as they don't load well at all...

I don't know if it comes from Verizon, The Campfire, or the browser used, but things have certainly changed.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's the thread on how to block ads BEFORE they reach your phone. I assume this will work when you're using it as a hotspot but I'm not sure. At any rate, this trims off the ads so you aren't being charged for data air time for them.

DNS

― George Orwell

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So, I did a side by side with the fire and Rokslide. Opened them both to the main forum and ran the network analyzer on both. No clicking on threads or anything. In the time it took me to type this, plus a min or two, the fire downloaded 11.1mb, Rokslide used 132b. Wow.
If you leave a tab open with the fire on a limited data plan you’re screwed.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
So, I did a side by side with the fire and Rokslide. Opened them both to the main forum and
ran the network analyzer on both. No clicking on threads or anything. In the time it took me to type this, plus a min or two, the fire downloaded 11.1mb, Rokslide used 132b. Wow.
If you leave a tab open with the fire on a limited data plan you’re screwed.

Thanks prm

Kinda what I figured but I didn't have the know-how to test it. I'll have to back off using my own data, and only get on here when the unlimited plan is available. kinda sucks as the unlimited plan is slow and images/vids don't load well.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.