Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a small home gym with a weight set. I now have a 3x/week routine to follow with walking the other two days. Never been much of a sweets guy, but dinner is my downfall. I love a big meal in front of the TV! Great big ribeye with a baked tater and sliced French bread, holy shît. I make a damned good steak.

Grilled elk steaks and a salad tonight. Palomas with diet Squirt. Can’t get too crazy.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm really starting to believe it's the carbs and sugars like many others here suggested,

Most people that I know of, who made big positive changes to their health, all did it with focusing on those two things.

but, carbs are large part of my diet it seems.....So, I understand the frustration...........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep the ribeyes coming. Bye-bye potatoes and breads.

Maybe a sweet potato every now and then.

Snickers, Butterfingers and ice cream - sayonara

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I'm really starting to believe it's the carbs and sugars like many others here suggested,

Most people that I know of, who made big positive changes to their health, all did it with focusing on those two things.

but, carbs are large part of my diet it seems.....So, I understand the frustration...........

I will attest to cutting the carbs and sugar changing my life 3 years ago and causing 40 pounds to literally fall off. Get through the first 2 weeks or so and the carb cravings will disappear and it becomes easy to stick to it. If I eat like crap (carbs and sugar) for more than 2 days in a row now I feel almost sick and can't get back to my way of eating fast enough. The extended strays from eating well are almost always around holidays. I can eat whatever I want to here and there when I have an urge with no ill effects but if I keep eating that way my body lets me know to knock it off. Good place to be and my Dr is happy.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by stxhunter
for me, it's drinking beer all day, lost 25lbs but gained it back the last two months since I stopped working. now I need to start walking or find something to get me some more exercise, maybe get an extra girlfriend...

These?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

budlight, shiner sometimes.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good for you. Around your same age, I’m 60 lb lighter than my highest weight. Like most fat guys, I just ate too much of the wrong foods and drank high calorie drinks. Now I’m a water drinker and have cut out (mostly) the junk food from my life. I also do some strength training. I plan to keep taking a hunting trip or two each year until I no longer can. These trips are, for me, powerful motivators when I’m tempted to skip a workout or hit the ice cream. Best of luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by Kenneth

I will attest to cutting the carbs and sugar changing my life 3 years ago and causing 40 pounds to literally fall off. Get through the first 2 weeks or so and the carb cravings will disappear and it becomes easy to stick to it. If I eat like crap (carbs and sugar) for more than 2 days in a row now I feel almost sick and can't get back to my way of eating fast enough. The extended strays from eating well are almost always around holidays. I can eat whatever I want to here and there when I have an urge with no ill effects but if I keep eating that way my body lets me know to knock it off. Good place to be and my Dr is happy.

Cool story, care to give us examples and ideas of things to do?

I'd have to completely revamp my entire way of eating, and Gawd I love bread......

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been lucky with the weight issue! I got to 190# a few years ago. Had no energy. I went to grazing , no sit down meals. Graze a little when hungry. I also substituted, fruit for sweets. Been holding 165# for a few years now! Just a few changes makes all the difference in the world! Pharm, keta says hello, he is reading over my shoulder, like a troll!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[quote .......and Gawd I love bread......
[/quote]

Me as well.
What are some examples of breakfast for you guys who have cut out carbs?
I typically am out the door with a thermos of coffee and a bagel and eat while driving to a jobsite.
Really cant find anything else to keep me full till lunch.So it's partially convienence as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tape a reminder to the refrigerator door. It works 👍

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nobody here statistically has blood numbers as good as I do, not even up for debate. Even if you are twenty and I’m a senior citizen, my numbers won’t be beat.

At minimum every day do some jumping jacks, pushups, and walking. Get rid of night shade vegetables, fungi, and most sugar out of your diet, take 2-5 tablespoons of Avacodo oil per day, eat your big meal at lunch and soup for dinner.

Have a sweet potato as a bedtime snack then don’t eat again after you clean your teeth at night.

Live long !

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/11/21.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MPat70
Tape a reminder to the refrigerator door. It works 👍

Tape a mirror to the fridge.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
WMR , I like your story, this is the way it is, push back on the food. I am and have been big guy, played a lot of football , and was a steel worker for 35 years, nothing I couldn't bend or lift. I weighed 308 when I had both knees replaced year in a half ago. I lost 46 pounds after and was rock hard again, then came these last holidays and I have put back on 20# and have started today to get it off and I know by May I will be in the 250 range, it is all in your head, just got to get pissed and do it, I will be 66 in two months, can't be fat and old,,, Ha

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
This is not all. This means you have the predisposition. You do not just lose 20 pounds and it's over. This is lifestyle change. As a diabetic I have to keep track of carbs and worry about food and eat when I am not hungry sometimes to keep my sugars where they need to be.

Every time you put something in your mouth its an insulin response.

Best i can offer is lose weight if you can and cut way down on sugar and pasta and bread. Read food labels. Keep an eye on your sugar and if it gets high exercise asap to get it down.

There is also a gene related issue that is not well understood. Its not as simple as "you got fat so you are diabetic."

It's a very long battle.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 04/11/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 68, got under 200 lbs last summer for the first time in nearly 30 years. I hit the gym an average of 5 days a week with some hiking on off days. I do some strength training at the gym, but bad shoulders and a trick knee limit what I can safely do there. After the weight machines, I alternate days on the treadmill and eliptical. I don't run on the treadmill because of the knee, set it to 3.5 mph, raise the platform to 15 degrees and walk/hike for 5 minutes, drop it down to 12 degrees for another 22 minutes and then level it out as a cool down for a total of 30 minutes. I use the built in heart monitor to keep tabs on heart rate and try to hold it under 150 bpm. There have been times when it's gotten as high as 160, but not often. There was a athletic younger guy watching a while back who asked me what I was trying to do. I told him so I could keep up with the boys when we go hunting, said that's a piece of cake when you get to 10,000 feet in the mountains. His answer, "I don't want to go to the mountains".

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Stay off the carbs, eat less, stop eating after 3pm

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Watch the documentaries "Forks Over Knives" and "Game Changers" as a couple of good places to start. Read the book The China Study. You can't eat a S.A.D diet (Standard American Diet) and be healthy. It's impossible. And working-out can only get you so far, and won't reverse heart disease (everyone that eats an American Diet has heart disease). Drugs can't either - only diet can. Diet is king, exercise is queen. But it takes an entire re-examination of what you've grown up with... most people can't do it and just want another drug or fad diet which will change nothing. If you can make the jump it will be life altering.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Great first step saying your done with it. I've tried the no carb, low carb, low sugar, keto.... Blah blah blah diets and while effective they weren't long term sustainable for me. The best success I've found was through flexible dieting that focused on balanced macros instead of eliminating a macro nutrient group entirely. If it fits your macros worked aka iffym for me. I feel better and way more energy than I did on keto or the low carb stuff. Consider different approaches and find what works best for you.

You've taken the first step and said this isn't going to work anymore. Next up balance your nutrition and sort that out. Ease into working out. It will help but isn't required. Your nutrition will make or break everything. Good luck, you got this.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
nothing works without a plan

Sam......

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Cut carbs out of your diet and the weight will fall off. I lost 17 lbs. in one month last year on a keto diet. I still keep carbs to a bare minimum and have not gained it back.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (12344mag, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.