Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#15984696 04/11/21
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone ever use JB Weld to build up a front sight?

I have a Savage model 24V and some asshat filed the front sight down to the point that I cannot lower the rear sight enough. I'm about 14" high at 50yds.

On this model the front sight and barrel band is all one piece and I cannot find a replacement anywhere.

It's either drilling and tapping the current front sight to install a bead or using JB Weld to build up the front sight.

Just don't know if it will hold up to the .222 or 20ga concussion?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Haven't done it, but what do you have to lose?. Sounds like it's worth a try.

3825 24336
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Got a buddy with a wire welder?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you get a radius, a spacing on the screws and the sight height? I have several front sights in my box, I might be able to send you one that'll work.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by gregintenn

This..
Build it up.
Jewlers files shape it out.
Cold blue it.

👍👍👍👍👍better option if ya cant find one.

Hoosier gun works maybe???

Last edited by renegade50; 04/11/21.
IC B2

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by high_country_
Can you get a radius, a spacing on the screws and the sight height? I have several front sights in my box, I might be able to send you one that'll work.

Picture of the sight 👇🏻

[Linked Image]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by gregintenn

This..
Build it up.
Jewlers files shape it out.
Cold blue it.

👍👍👍👍👍better option if ya cant find one.

Hoosier gun works maybe???

Thanks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say tig weld it up and dress it to shape. If you can’t do that maybe file it flat and D&T or dovetail it for a bead front.

Last edited by K1500; 04/11/21.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by MPat70
Anyone ever use JB Weld to build up a front sight?

I have a Savage model 24V and some asshat filed the front sight down to the point that I cannot lower the rear sight enough. I'm about 14" high at 50yds.

On this model the front sight and barrel band is all one piece and I cannot find a replacement anywhere.

It's either drilling and tapping the current front sight to install a bead or using JB Weld to build up the front sight.

Just don't know if it will hold up to the .222 or 20ga concussion?

If your wanting to add a permanent sight. First file or mill the sight flat on the top surface! Second file a shallow v groove, full length. Third. Lay a brass rod, in the v groove! Glue in with super glue!
Now go shoot and see if the brass is enough height! If good !! Clean to bare metal, clamp in place. Silver solder the brass in place!
To prevent heat migration, pack the sight base and barrel area, with play dough! The play dough is your heat sink, protecting the bands!
I hope this makes sense! Bill

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by high_country_

Picture of the sight 👇🏻

[Linked Image]

Looks to be like it has been broken off somehow. A Tig bead would be what I would try.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Listen to Heym06, knows what He's talking about, I would use soft solder, Force 44 or some such. I have done several this way, sooper gloo and epoxy goo just don't live on a muzzle. you get a nice brass bead....

NRA Benefactor
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Were it mine I'd weld it up and dress it back down. The only reason you'd ever be able to tell it had been fixed would be the bluing may not match afterwards. You know anyone with a mill and welder that knows how to use them?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was hoping it would be a removable ramp.

How much more does it need?

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
High_country, sorry the picture I posted was not mine it was one I snagged off the internet. Below is a pick of mine I snapped this morning. You can see that it looks to be ⅛" filed down.

I'm going to use Heym06's advice. First I'm going to use a wire welder and build it up some then I'm going to file/shape it with a groove and solder a brass bar sight.

I thank you all for the input and suggestions.

Mark
[Linked Image]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
High_country, sorry the picture I posted was not mine it was one I snagged off the internet. Below is a pick of mine I snapped this morning. You can see that it looks to be ⅛" filed down.

I'm going to use Heym06's advice. First I'm going to use a wire welder and build it up some then I'm going to file/shape it with a groove and solder a brass bar sight.

Mark
[Linked Image]

👍👍👍👍👍
Build high.
File down at the range.

Let us know the results man!!!

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

Mark
[Linked Image]

Brownells makes some heat stop paste that would be good for the welding job but you can also take a wet rag and wrap around the barrels to minimize the heat messing up the bluing.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Put a 30MOA base under your rear sight. whistle

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,606
Posts18,454,857
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.