Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
With the powder shortages I was wondering how well loading Pyrodex would work in some of my rifles. Since it doesn't brew up a lot of pressure, I would think it would work and be a mild loading. I realize it's dirty and makes a lot of smoke.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
30-30 was once a blackpowder round wasn't it? Seems like it should work fine

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .30-30 has never been a blackpowder round, it was actually the first commercially available smokeless powder round.

It was originally known as the .30 WCF.

Pyrodex is pretty corrosive, so cleaning immediately is very important.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
If the fired cases aren't thoroughly cleaned and dried after use, they'll be ruined. Also magnum primers are recommend for BP or subs. Although I've not tried standard primers.

Thoroughly cleaning the rifle after use would be good too.

Also, you may want to contact the manufacture to check. And read up on BP and sub cartridge loading. Its important to avoid dead air space in the load, and some subs warn against over compression.

Last edited by Earlyagain; 04/11/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were to do it the gun would be reduced to individual pieces and cleaned better than new ASAP after shooting.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

30 caliber, 30 grains smokeless powder. As has been said, clean everything thoroughly after using Pyrodex, it's nasty stuff.

Let us know how it works.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll shoot it in my vintage H&R Topper 410/30-30 2 barrel combo I bought 50 years ago. The 30-30 is spooky accurate with the old K 2.5 I put on top.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nope

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike

Nope

Seems like this should lead to a discussion of the .32 Winchester Special.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi. Am sure you could, but i’d dread the fussing over corrosion. BO gets a bad rap. It’s the subs that are a beech. Being a break action, at least it’s fewer parts.

You come up this summer and you can have this pound someone gifted me!

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Hi. Am sure you could, but i’d dread the fussing over corrosion. BO gets a bad rap. It’s the subs that are a beech. Being a break action, at least it’s fewer parts.

You come up this summer and you can have this pound someone gifted me!

You still in Libby, Doc?

I might make it up there and do some Kokanee fishing on Koocanusa.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Seems like this should lead to a discussion of the .32 Winchester Special.

I have been resisting so far, but will now comment:

The .32 Special appeared shortly after the .30-30, and is essentially the .30-30 necked up to .32 caliber, but the barrels had a 1-16 rifling twist instead of the 1-12 twist of the .30-30 (or, for purists, the .30 WCF). This allowed the .32 Special to be handloaded with black powder and still result in reasonable accuracy, because the slower twist and larger bore didn't foul as much. Some people have disputed this, but the original Winchester records (and other contemporary publications) bear this out.

I have also tested it in a Winchester Model 94 made in 1952, and got well under minute-of-deer groups (in fact rivaling smokeless, jacketed loads in the same rifle), with both cast and jacketed bullets. Did an article on this for Handloader magazine long ago. May have even reprinted it in one of my pre-Gun Gack books.

The reason Winchester went to the trouble was that reloading with early smokeless powders was pretty hazardous, due to a lack of data and the tendency of handloaders used to black powder to assume filling up the case completely was necessary.
During my research I found that handloading with black powder was really common even in many "smokeless" cartridges up until about World War Two, especially during the Depression, because black was cheaper than smokeless--and often more available, especially in rural areas.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A friend of mine loaded up a .30-06 round with black and fired it off in his 1917 Enfield. Along with the necessary cleaning job, the rifle stunk to high heaven.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gee, did it smell like sulphur?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari
With the powder shortages I was wondering how well loading Pyrodex would work in some of my rifles. Since it doesn't brew up a lot of pressure, I would think it would work and be a mild loading. I realize it's dirty and makes a lot of smoke.

Dunno what you plan to do with such loads, or what kind of bullet you're thinking of, but a suggestion just for grins. Fill the case with whatever junk you want to shoot with and put a round ball in the case. Did this awhile back using real BP in the Sneezer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hornady makes .311" diameter round balls. Little flare on the case mouth, gently tap the ball in place and a touch of SPG lube followed with a mild crimp.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have used Black in 45-70, 38-55, 45-60, 375 win, 32-20, 25-20, 35 rem, 30wcf, 310 cadet, 30-06, 250-3000 sav., 45 colt, 45 acp, 357 mag, 38spcl, 44-40, 32-40 wcf. and probably some more i can't think of. oh yeah, 12, 20, 16, and 410. gauge.

some suck with bp and some shine. cleaning is actually easier with a bolt action then a muzzle loader. every shooter in America should know how to make Black powder.
many showed excellent accuracy, paired with cast bullets whats not to like.
brass cleaning is one drawback. must be done quickly, can't sit in a to do bucket for a couple weeks. i have maybe 10 45-70 cases that are black around the mouth, and a little brittle. work fine for BP but they are saved just for that.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Gee, did it smell like sulphur?

wife claims it's rotten eggs!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Any real blackpowder cleans up easier with less effort than any substitute. 3-4 wet patches in a shiloh 45-70 then a couple of dry ones followed by an oily one good to go. Less time than smokeless but you have to do it everytime you shoot the gun. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might also comment that I never had any problem with cleaning my .32 Special after shooting it with black powder. I opened the action, then ran a cleaning rod down the barrel until I could hold a brass brush, wrapped with a cotton patch soaked in solvent, inside the ejection port and hold the brush while I screwed the rod onto its threads. (This is far easier than it sounds) Then I pulled the brush/patch OUT through the bore. Didn't take long to get the bore clean without getting any fouling inside the action.

It's much easier to push a brush through the rear of the barrel--which is one reason falling-block actions are so popular among BPCR shooters. But it's equally easy through a break-open rifle..

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.