Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
do you have to load your own tss shells or can you buy them already made?

Jonathan Henson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Apex Ammunition makes them at ~ $10/shell.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
dang i was looking for some for coyote and fox hunting but dang i hate to see what a box would cost

Jonathan Henson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jonboy900
dang i was looking for some for coyote and fox hunting but dang i hate to see what a box would cost

There'd be better options out there for you for fox and coyote rather than sending $10 downrange every time you pull the trigger.

I think Federal and possibly Remington made some TSS shotshells, but I don't think it's pure Tungsten like Apex uses. One of the more knowledgeable members will be along shortly to expand on this.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
cool i was just looking into them becuse i heard the have better rang then buckshot

Jonathan Henson
IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
TSS will cost you about $3/ounce for the shot if you roll your own. It will pattern better than any buckshot or lead BB load on the market at longer range and will do it with less load development, patterning or investments in chokes. Buy your shot from someone like Hal that will give you load data. It is good stuff. For coyotes you'll want #3 or #4. Threes will have about 65+/- pellets per ounce.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Hal4son
TSS will cost you about $3/ounce for the shot if you roll your own. It will pattern better than any buckshot or lead BB load on the market at longer range and will do it with less load development, patterning or investments in chokes. Buy your shot from someone like Hal that will give you load data. It is good stuff. For coyotes you'll want #3 or #4. Threes will have about 65+/- pellets per ounce.

cool do you have any contact info for him? also do you have to have any specile tools? frist time i heard of it was on a podcast that talked about loading it by hand insted of a lot of tools

Jonathan Henson
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hal Abbott
Email: hgancaol.com
phone: 919-662-8138
alt. message board: http://www.tungstensupershots.com/index.php
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/super18tungste ... =bookmarks

You will need a scale. You will likely need a roll crimper.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
cool thank you

Jonathan Henson
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If shooting predators, I'd suspect you're shooting more than a couple times a year like most turkey hunters. Way more economical to roll your own.

A decent scale and a roll crimper for a hand drill is all you really need. Of course components.

As said, you're still looking at a few bucks a shot. But the pattern and energy is unmatched. For predator hunting, it'd probably be awesome and effective range would be extended greatly. Guys kill deer and pigsbat pretty crazy ranges with fairly small shot.

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
thanks guys i have heard of guy shooting deer and pigs with them but foxs and more so coyotes are the problem around here. so anyone know any good books or youtub vidoes that can walk you down the steps?

Jonathan Henson
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
If you're going to load without a press, you should buy new primed hulls. (A lot of TSS recipes call for new hulls).
Weigh and drop powder charge.
Add wad - I usually use a screwdriver to seat the wad firmly on the powder.
Add any felt or other filler wads into the base of the wad if they are called for.
Weigh and drop shot charge.
Add overshot card.
Roll crimp.

If you put "loading TSS" in the youtube search, it'll come up with a ton of videos.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
cool thank you

Jonathan Henson
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I roll my own. Back when I started, that was the only way to get it. Now there are several companies that sell loaded shells.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave Owens, who makes the Pinhoti Project hunting videos, has one on how he rolls his turkey loads. Might pick up a trick or two from him. Looks like he uses a minimum of fancy tools.

I’ve spent a bunch on TSS turkey loads this year, as I’m patterning and sighting in. Should be good for the duration (my duration anyway) now. If you decide to buy, Apex loads are awesome.

What fresh Hell is this?
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
No, but you'll get more consistent performance if you do.
Originally Posted by Hal4son
Hal Abbott
Email: hgancaol.com
phone: 919-662-8138
alt. message board: http://www.tungstensupershots.com/index.php
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/super18tungste ... =bookmarks

You will need a scale. You will likely need a roll crimper.

Hal is the man on TSS. He's professional to deal with, too. That's more than can be said about most.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Reloader7RM here on this site sales TSS and is very helpful.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Just saw this thread. I started using TSS shot to load my own .410 shells. The difference between “regular” factory loads and the TSS loads is stunning. I have used them for upland pheasants only. Number nine shot....lots of little pellets acting like bigger pellets. Pattern density improved over larger shot as well as range. My farthest was a hen at 40 yards going away.

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have always wanted to reload my own. I will check into what you all said above, thanks!

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Hal only lives 30 minutes from me….loaded up some 20 ga while back at his place. He got the TSS shot and will set you up on all components you need. He the one that got all started on TSS and his work is first class. You owe it to yourself to get his advice if you going down that reloading path. Dave Owens mentioned Hal in his videos on reloading turkey loads. He the best and you can take that from experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 74 invisible), 3,064 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.