Print Thread
Hop To
A
AGL4now Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
What is your favorite full power load for the .475 Linebaugh......??? Looking more for the heavy bullet loads, but also interested in lighter hollow point load information.

Last edited by AGL4now; 04/11/21.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

In my gun I settled on 24.5 grains of WC820 (AA#9), BBA brass at the trim length of 1.390", and WLP primers for the CPB 405wfngc. 25 grains of the same powder for the 370lfngc CPB. For a jacketed bullet load, I use 22.8 grains of the same powder for a Speer 400 grain Gold Dot.

The caveat in all this of course is that these loads were safe in MY gun. Please reduce and work up in yours. Also, not knowing you, and not knowing how much research you have done for this cartridge, be very careful in that there are recommended loads out there using reworked Winchester 45-70 brass at a trim length of 1.410" showing higher charges than you will find using manufactured 475 L brass.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks.......I appreciate that information. Have you done any experiments or recovered "Gold Dot" bullets as far as do they actually mushroom out of the .475 Linebaugh. I like the idea of using that "type" bullet for some applications. Not everything needs eight feet of penetration.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used the Gold Dot load on a large lead cow elk. At about thirty yrds I shot her in the shoulder. The bullet penetrated the bone completely making a impressive wound. She collapsed to her knees at the shot, but jumped up and ran in front of me. I shot her again in the left shoulder. Neither shot penetrated all the way through, and I did not perform a necropsy (sp) so I cannot speak to whether they mushroomed or not. They certainly worked though.

It's been a while, but I remember they mushroomed well when I tested them on water filled milk jugs. May have to run that test again though since I did not document it in any way.

You are right too about not needing 8 ft of penetration all the time. I'm a huge fan of cast bullets, but with the right bullet for the job, a good jacketed design will work very well.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for that information......much appreciated. Do you know if anyone else make an expanding bullet for the .475 cartridges.....??? I guess I should state a "Quality" expanding bullet, one designed whit the intent for it to expand.

I just purchased the ,475 Linebaugh, and don't even have it in my possession yet. I am going to start with Buffalo Bore 420 gr. loaded cartridges, as I will not have time to handload till next winter.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There are a few choices on Midways page, but if I were you I would do a search and check with Barnes, Swift, and Hornady alony with Speer. There may be someone else, but those are the ones I'm familiar with. There seems though to be a tendency towards lighter weight bullets in the soft point/hollow point style bullets since the 480 Ruger has gained popularity.

That Buffalo Bore load is a dandy. grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
For 400 to 420 hardcast I use from 25 to 28 grains of H110/296

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.