Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
What's the legality of loaning a suppressed firearm?

Don't. The NFA item has to be in possession of the holder of the tax stamp. legalease basically you have to be with them, immediate vicinity while they shoot it, but any more than that you both could be in deep.

I have a handful of loanable rifles for the right people. It's not hard to see how someone will treat your equipment. What shape is their ride in? What's the blade in their pocket look like? How about tool or equipment? If things of theirs are not well kept, the gun you loan them won't be either.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone who I allow on my home is free to borrow any firearms in my safe, just as they are welcome to the freezer and liquor cabinets. If I have what you need then grab it. Replace what you use when/of you can.

Couldn’t bear to watch a buddy suffer if they had a need knowing I have plenty.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i learned 30 years ago not to loan out any gun i cared about. and my 760 270 wears the scars to this day.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wouldn't loan one to Big Stick.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven’t had to loan out any of my rifles. And I’d be very selective who’d I loan to.
IF I did. It be my cheapest rifle and it’s also one of the most accurate.
Tc venture in 270 win, vx2 3-9 CDS, 140 SST

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not in the habit, but have let several folks shoot my firearms at the range. Couple of times I have loaned a rifle out, once BIL's son had a scope issue with a 1917 Remington that was given to him by the FIL. A Santa Barbara Mauser in 243 that I had built, brought it as a backup. He took three deer an a coyote. Needless to say I gave the rifle. Also let BIL's youngest Daughter use a 6.5X57 Steyr that I brought along when she wanted to go hunting and none of the rifles fit her. Took the spacers off and she took her first deer with it. My Daughter had already claimed it, so she did not get to keep it. Have a Model 70 that I keep around in case anyone needs a deer rifle, IE they travel to us in deer season and did not plan to hunt but want to. It's just "stuff", some I am a bit more fussy about than others. For the most part, if I invite them to my home they can use my firearms

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I was growing up in PENN I had an uncle who loaned me his guns fairly often, I took care of them and didnt damage them. Several years ago I bought a used S&W K22 revolver and gave it to him as a gift. He was very pleased with it. He has been gone for a few years now and I miss him dearly.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have loaned guns and bows in my younger days. Some I never got back and these were from close "friends". I know guns are material things. However, how one treats those things when they are loaned in good faith with no expectations from the lender other than hoping the guy enjoys its use, says worlds about character. Few actions are more disrespectful than abusing a man's property offered with no string attached. I no longer subject myself to such abuse. It has happened too often.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not legal here, but I have a few that I would loan to a pard and a couple that I let no one mess with. I don’t loan chainsaws, so don’t ask. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I wouldn't loan one to Big Stick.

WINNER!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I loaned a pump shotgun to a friend more than 20 years ago...it came back rusted like it was duck hunting in salt water. I was kind of pissed but said ok - you can just keep it. I see him a few years ago.

He says, you remember that old shotgun you gave me? (I'm thinking the brand new one that I patterned, let you use, and came back rusted)...Well you gave me one with a bent barrel.

He kept it stored in a corner of a closet. No telling what kind of [bleep] had been piled on it over the years.

Anyways, I will loan/give stuff to my dad/mom/wife and sons, two trusted neighbors...and daughter in laws. Everyone else should buy/rent their own or ask somewheres else. This applies mainly to vehicles (mostly trucks), chain saws, trailers, lawn mowers, firearms, bows, camping gear, dogs, reloading stuff, cameras, binoculars, optics, computers, books, duck decoys, duck calls, waders, guitars, tools...hmm, I think I'm a cranky old man.

But, I will use all that stuff and more to help someone else complete a project.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Do you all have a rifle you loan out? I have a couple of great friends that have helped me and my family a lot. They don’t have a deer rifle, both could easily afford one, but I think their wives are against guns in the house. I have this Remington 700, 30-06 I keep just for that purpose. I don’t like loaning out my good rifles, not that there is anything wrong with the 06.

Anyone else have a loaner?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dang Hanco, That's a heck of a loaner rifle!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Model 70 Classic (90s) in 338 Win with 3X Burris

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

FN Browning High Power 30/06 with 3-9 Stryker Scope.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by hanco
Do you all have a rifle you loan out? I have a couple of great friends that have helped me and my family a lot. They don’t have a deer rifle, both could easily afford one, but I think their wives are against guns in the house. I have this Remington 700, 30-06 I keep just for that purpose. I don’t like loaning out my good rifles, not that there is anything wrong with the 06.

Anyone else have a loaner?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dang Hanco, That's a heck of a loaner rifle!

That’s the ugliest thing I have, gonna give it to a friend that has helped my boy out with a job, got him trained, got him a big raise. I’ll use a 7mm-08 I have for a loaner I guess.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I lent a nice Ruger RSI once to my xwife's cousin once. Never again.

I did give a brand new Bergara Woodsman 7-08 to a dirt poor young guy at deer camp though. Just couldn't get myself to like that gun.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If people don't give a [bleep] enough to buy their own gear and get used to using it in the offseason, I have no desire to assist. So I don't loan rifles as a rule.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Remington model 700 stainless mountain rifle circa early 1990's in 270 win that has been used by a few other people when I was hunting with them. I have never loaned a rifle where I was not there.

This thread reminds me of the old saying

Loan $20 to a "friend" and never seeing them again is probably $20 well spent. Not willing to chance losing any of my firearms that way.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any equipment I loan out I would like it to come back the same condition as I let it out. But things happen. I wont loan out anything my little heart would break if it came back with a ding or a scratch. That said most anything I would loan out would be my old stuff I no longer use so probably already scratched or dinged up. I try not to loan out anything that would be a financial strain for them to replace if it got lost or destroyed. People new to the outdoors dont have any idea what good equipment cost. I sometimes politely let them know the value too see their reaction.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I don't loan much of anything. If someone is needing to borrow it, they probably can't afford to fix or replace it. If you need something that bad, I have a yard to be mowed that's worth $20, flowerbeds and weed eating are worth $10 each, washing the house is worth about $100... if I don't have any work needing done, you'll have to wait. My 14 yo just paid for part of his new shotgun by splitting it 1/3's between my exwife and myself for his birthday. He doesn't get freebies much either.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I cobbled together a loaner when I looked in my safe and all the rifles were customs. Had a Weatherby vanguard barreled action in the corner though. It got a hogue Stock and Zeiss conquest. Perfect loaner

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 1,668 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.