Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's been said a million times, but is worth repeating.

You can't outrun a bad diet.

Start there, add exercise as you go, but be careful because a lot of exercise will make you hungry, and then you are back to surplus calories.

Just eat plants and animals. Nothing with a nutritional label.

25# will go quick.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I’m in the camp with those that recommend cutting down on carbs. You can do it In steps. Cut out soda and junk food first if you eat that stuff. Then start only eating whole grains (brown rice, quinoa). Then stop eating carbs after 5 pm and eat your carbs earlier in the day. My triglycerides dropped from the 400-500 range down to 105.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Just eat plants and animals. Nothing with a nutritional label.

Sig line material!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
You can do it. Beat it one day at a time.

My slogan is "Win the day".

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In August of 2013 I was 57, not in particularly good shape, decided I was gonna ride a bicycle 2,000 miles to NY State the following summer. Took a bicycle off the garage wall that had been mostly unused for 25 years. When I started 7 miles was a long way.

Did my first 100 mile day in December of that year, been on bicycles ever since. With my knees I can’t hardly run non stop around a city block, but I can put in 40 miles on a bicycle no problem, and on rides I can hang in with twenty or thirty somethings far better than I ever could on foot.

So this is a plug for bicycles, they allow a degree of athleticism I thought was gone forever far into old age.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you do keto and actually do it right and don’t cheat, if you are significantly overweight, I’ll almost guarantee that you will lose 30 pounds in the first month.

It’s amazing how little food you need and how the cravings and hunger pangs go away. Friday, I cut out early to lay some sod. It rained a little, just enough to make it so I couldn’t get in back yard, and had to hump the sod out there myself. I hauled and laid three pallets of sod (1350 square feet) and finshed about 8:00 pm. I went hard at it all day because I was afraid it was about to rain more. I was too dirty to go inside. I didn’t eat. The last time I had eaten was at 6:00 p.m. the day before. I wasn’t hungry. I had no cravings. My energy levels didn’t crash and it really didn’t hit me at all until about the last half hour of work. When I got done I checked my watch and had done about 27,000 steps, around 13 miles, most of it carrying heavy sod. All while going on a 26 hour fast. Didn’t even think about food the entire time.

That’s keto. Cravings and hunger seem to disappear.

Last edited by JoeBob; 04/11/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like I am some common company. I gained about 30 lbs in the last 4 years. I know that fix but I am lazy, lack motivation and make excuses. I get busy and grab fast food. I get busy and neglect exercise. I know ai need to act, I don't want that wake up call to hit like my friend that had a heart attack (survived with good results) since there is no guarantee I would come through it.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I talked to my doc last week. Cholesterol is good (I’m on a statin so it’s working), BP is good (lisinopril, so that’s working), but my A1c is an RCH from diabetes. I’ve been a fat fûck for the last decade (gained 30 in the last 3 years) and the bill is due.

Tired of being tired. I can still hunt but it takes a lot more out of me. Sat down with wifey. Made the commitment to eat better and move more. Sure, I’ve made the promise before, but the specter of a physical breakdown seemed much more remote. Now I have a piece of paper that says “You’re killing yourself, dumbass.”

We’re gonna pay off the house next week. Financially set in IRA/401K, both of us. Great jobs, both of us. Great marriage. Now I just need to learn how to put the fork down.

Kinda looking forward to see if I can do it. I know what the consequences are if I don’t.

P

I've got the same problem. Health issues and taking lots of prednisone. I've put on an extra 50 the last 3 years and I was already overweight before that. If I don't get it off I'm not going to get my life back. Now my blood sugar is starting to creep up and it's always been good before.

My rheumatologist has been recommending gastric sleeve. He says they do it for a lot of patients with inflammatory autoimmune disease that have been on steroids long term. Says it's the best way to lose lots quickly but then you still have to work to keep it off.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 04/11/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go low carb.
Weight will fall off of you like magic.
You have to be strict though and many people just don't have the willpower.
Nothing will strip the fat off quicker.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
If you do keto and actually do it right and don’t cheat, if you are significantly overweight, I’ll almost guarantee that you will lose 30 pounds in the first month.

It’s amazing how little food you need and how the cravings and hunger pangs go away. Friday, I cut out early to lay some sod. It rained a little, just enough to make it so I couldn’t get in back yard, and had to hump the sod out there myself. I hauled and laid three pallets of sod (1350 square feet) and finshed about 8:00 pm. I went hard at it all day because I was afraid it was about to rain more. I was too dirty to go inside. I didn’t eat. The last time I had eaten was at 6:00 p.m. the day before. I wasn’t hungry. I had no cravings. My energy levels didn’t crash and it really didn’t hit me at all until about the last half hour of work. When I got done I checked my watch and had done about 27,000 steps, around 13 miles, most of it carrying heavy sod. All while going on a 26 hour fast. Didn’t even think about food the entire time.

That’s keto. Cravings and hunger seem to disappear.

Experienced the same thing with it. I try to do it pretty strict about 1 to 2 months per year. After that if I watch carbs I tend to keep weight off pretty easy. Convinced that carbs, corn sugar, bread, cereal, tortillas, chips, soft drinks including diet are all killing us. Lot of great keto ideas out there for eating while on the run. Just takes effort to learn it and live it. You will drop pounds fast with it though if you actually stick to it.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sounds like a good move. The fact is, you can't beat father time. You CAN, slow him down some though. I'm a weightlifter, and get to chart my decline in my workout logs. That's a lot of fun. My problem is I keep LOSING weight. Not a lot, but I'm pretty sure it's muscle. I eat well and drink less. Down about 4 pounds of bodyweight in the last year, but about 40 pounds in bench. Pretty frustrating.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Good luck with loosing weight, I can't manage to stick with a diet long enough to see any loss. For 3 weeks I punished myself on a strict diet to lose 2 pounds. Exercising is the best way to lose weight, it's hard to eat and exercise at the same time.

Life is good live it while you can.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Bad habits die hard.

Bad health and you will die even harder.

I eat more greens, beans, rice, and beets than any normal man should.

Pick up a hobby like laying block or stone maybe.

Drink beer on ice with water added. Hydration is 90% of my problem. Who cares if it tastes like watered-down Budweiser, it was garbage in the first place.

Fundamentally change what you enjoy to what you enjoy as physical hobbies that involve more activity. You said you liked to hunt. Assuming you do not already shoot a bow, pick up archery and practice for an hour twice a day. Walking back and forth to targets is still more exercise than watching TV.

Build a deck, build a shed.

My doctor told me two years ago that I had gallstones and probably would need surgery. She also told me I had super high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I was 56 years old, 6'-5" and about #250.

She told me to try eating beets (gallstones), hydrate more, eat better, and cut way down on the booze.

Last time I checked my blood pressure it was 117 / 68. Gallstones seem to be gone. I usually come out of winter now weighing out 235 and will hit about 210 by summer.

I did the low-carb diet thing years ago when I had an office job. It worked very well, but I lost my joy for meat... because it's about the only thing I ever ate.

Vegetables, beans, beets and rice with added meat and fish are my baseline now.

Good luck to you. You are about to make a fundamental shift in your life...

Or not.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The calories in alcohol 🍺 is what keeps me portly.

I went gluten free, love grilled meat and spinach.

I gave up alcohol for 20 days. Now at night after dinner I drink decaf lnstead of another cocktail.

I still have a few cocktail s but limiting alcohol calories is gonna be the key 🔑 to getting this lard off me gut.

Last edited by Angus1895; 04/12/21.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Im the same age as you. Got my wake up call last year. I have always been very active so weight wasnt really a problem. My diet was. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Long long story short, my best advice to you is to start researching low carb, or even zero carb diets. I take no medications of any kind, my RA symptoms are gone, and Ive never felt better. The statins you are on will kill you. So much information out there now. Start by watching some of Dr Nadirs videos. Dr Paul Mason is another one. There are dozens more. I can tell you it works, as can thousands of others. The doctors at Paleomedicina in Hungary have probably done more studies on it than anyone. Check them out. Do it with an open mind and forget everything you have ever been told about nutrition. Believe it or not, this isnt new. A doctor from WW1 era wrote a book about it. Book is called Strongs Medicine. He was helping people way back then, the same way. Good luck and remember, diets never work. Ever. You have to change the way you live and think. Carbs are the biggest killer in north america, and inflammation is at the root of all disease. Science is clear on that now.

Last edited by yukon254; 04/12/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best diet that I know of: Reach for your mate instead of your plate.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
This is not all. This means you have the predisposition. You do not just lose 20 pounds and it's over. This is lifestyle change. As a diabetic I have to keep track of carbs and worry about food and eat when I am not hungry sometimes to keep my sugars where they need to be.

Every time you put something in your mouth its an insulin response.

Best i can offer is lose weight if you can and cut way down on sugar and pasta and bread. Read food labels. Keep an eye on your sugar and if it gets high exercise asap to get it down.

There is also a gene related issue that is not well understood. Its not as simple as "you got fat so you are diabetic."

It's a very long battle.

Until folks understand that everything you put in your mouth has an insulin response, they are just "exercising in circles."

Only one type of diabetes, no pancreatic function

Every body has type II, its just more observable in some folks.

Insulin resistance (it is an allergic response) is created by continually challenging the pancreas----- snacking.

arthritis (pick a variety) is allergic response from wheat and carbs.

Think of exercise as an increase in circulation--- not a way to loose wt.

Exercising increases the basal metabolic rate of the body. so now your eating less energy sources (not going to call them carbs. protein ---- if your body needs energy it will use other pathways to convert what food sources are there. )

without that continued increase of basal metabolic rate , you'll put it right back on, (the gene factor, )

have your thyroid checked, and when they give you bs about TSH, tell them you want it anyway, or find another health care provider.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Not so much put the fork down as be pretty careful of what's on it on the way to your mouth. I kind of played around with lowering my A1c from 10 a few years ago, got it under 7, but stayed right there. Finally got serious and cut out most carbs, and work out more. It's been 6.2 for a few quarters, planning on bringing it down a bit more.

isnt that number a good one?.......I thought 6.7 and below were good....bob

there are two different numbers, one group sad below 7 is good, the other group is a little more agressive. at 6.5
6.2 is good for a diabetic, 10 is the drizzles.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Fasting is essential-- it "resets" the insulin production, and the carrier sites at the cell level do no become allergic to it.

Every 24 hrs. almost half of the world has fasted for an average. of 8 hours. Nobody died from low glucose.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,728
Posts18,457,378
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.