-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
for cleaning Lever guns fired with BP i use a damp bore snake and a pan of hot water. i dampen the snake and rub some dawn dish soap on it. feed snake through from breach and rinse. have a hose with funnel that is soft enough to fit most chambers. after scrubbing bore i pour water as hot as i can through to flush and heat the metal.
stand muzzle down and let dry for a while. swab bore with oil of choice.
i bought a wet pin tumbler and my brass shines inside like new. vib tumbler never got all the residue out especially bottle neck's
jm2c

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If said break action single shot's barrel pops off the frame easily, I would clean it like I clean military musket and black powder shotgun barrels - take them into the shower with me along with a cleaning rod and patches. Clean the gun at same time I clean myself.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If said break action single shot's barrel pops off the frame easily, I would clean it like I clean military musket and black powder shotgun barrels - take them into the shower with me along with a cleaning rod and patches. Clean the gun at same time I clean myself.

Interesting to think of using the cleaning rod and patches on the personal side. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
for cleaning Lever guns fired with BP i use a damp bore snake and a pan of hot water. i dampen the snake and rub some dawn dish soap on it. feed snake through from breach and rinse. have a hose with funnel that is soft enough to fit most chambers. after scrubbing bore i pour water as hot as i can through to flush and heat the metal.
stand muzzle down and let dry for a while. swab bore with oil of choice.
i bought a wet pin tumbler and my brass shines inside like new. vib tumbler never got all the residue out especially bottle neck's
jm2c

Yup. I liked a wet soapy boresnake when I used to shoot 38-40 with blackpowder

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Ya just swallow the bore snake and then...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No Pyrodex here, by enthusiastic choice, but lots of BH209. Lots of data for that if I ever get in a pinch, plus some for 777, though I don’t trust the longevity of that, even sealed inside a loaded cartridge.

The article I read on BH209 said it was hard on brass if left dirty, so it remains an emergency option due to extreme laziness.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have some old 777 on hand. Maybe I should check on it. I didn't know it had a shelf-life, so to speak.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Next time you come into town, I'll give you a pound of W748 or H380, your choice. Either should get your 30-30 perking along!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
30-30 was never a black powder round. It followed the same nomenclature as bp rounds but referred to 30 grains of smokeless. Pyrodex is a poor substitute for anything in any gun unless it is all you have. I've found it to be just as or more corrosive as real black.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My basic advice is don't do it.

No, I have not used BP or a substitute in a lever gun. However, I've tried it in a 44 mag revolver and it really gunked things up in a hurry. I finally ran the cylinder in the dishwasher.

The other experience I have is shooting BP substitutes out of Mossberg 500 ML barrel. Yes it works. It's actually a decent ML rig, but the problem is cleaning up on the back end. The bolt and bolt face get badly coated. I basically have to strip the whole thing down and give it a deep clean.

Now, neither of these are a lever, but don't think I'd want all that gunky residue in my action. If it were a break-action single-shot, I'd maybe do it.

Bottom line: this does not sound like fun to me.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’d be the last powder I’d shoot in my 1894. Lots of other powders available for reduced or up to near full power loads.

We deal in lead, friend.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Might also comment that I never had any problem with cleaning my .32 Special after shooting it with black powder. I opened the action, then ran a cleaning rod down the barrel until I could hold a brass brush, wrapped with a cotton patch soaked in solvent, inside the ejection port and hold the brush while I screwed the rod onto its threads. (This is far easier than it sounds) Then I pulled the brush/patch OUT through the bore. Didn't take long to get the bore clean without getting any fouling inside the action.

It's much easier to push a brush through the rear of the barrel--which is one reason falling-block actions are so popular among BPCR shooters. But it's equally easy through a break-open rifle..

Or use a Marlin.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Friend of mine destroyed the barrel on a new inline with pyrodex. Thought the subs wouldn’t corrode like Lord Black. Left it in the closet for a couple weeks after shooting and then asked if I would clean it. The damage was epic. Subs suck. Not inclined to use black in anything other than single shot or SxS guns. Hell will freeze before I buy a sub.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you have never used black powder or a sub, just realize case care and gun cleaning is first and foremost after shooting. It doesn't take long to corrode a brass casing.(and firearm, too) I throw mine in some soapy hot water as soon as I get home. That neutralizes the salts until you get around to cleaning them. A sonic parts cleaner would be even better. I clean my guns asap.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.