Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have moved or helped a friend move out of Alaska 3 times since 2003. I bought a U-Haul for $3500 drove to Iowa pulling a jeep behind. Painless until re-entering the USA our border patrol can be tedious.
>>>>>>The Highway is not an option this year.

>>>>>>AMH is running Very few ferries, the gap to Wrangell was from Nov last year to Feb this year with delays and a disabled ship so far this year.

>>>>>>We moved my friend from The Valley to The Midwest last summer. By freight FIFTY THREE FEET of semi trailer LENGTH ! Everything, lawn mowers, power tools a lathe... in the semi trailer and a 3/4 ton Dodge truck and a Crown Vic.The trucking company is on 4th street in Anchorage. We boxed and inventoried everything then the trucking crew packed it garage to trucks..They also inventoried every thing ! I did not write the check for that move guessing on the order of $40K

>>>>>>My second move was 2017 Juneau to Portland Or. One 24' container from my driveway in Juneau $4400 delivered to about 20 feet from the door of my storage unit, in Portland. I rented a U-Haul parked it between the container and the storage unit door. I unloaded the essentials into the U-Haul and everything else went into a 20 foot storage unit. I unpacked it in a day. The next day AML removed the container. ALL WENT WELL! We also drove a vehicle after a ferry ride to Prince Rupert but that port is closed maybe forever! Not that long ago an it seems very inexpensive.

Rates NORTHBOUND were about twice of the cost to ship South. But the demand has been freight up...empty ships down. Guessing Southbound is still less money than Northbound. Seems folks are leaving Alaska so that may even shipping charges (?)

>>>>>> Lastly, We moved a 15 passenger one ton van and a Nissan sedan by Samson Tugs, Seattle to Wrangell. The van was full of books and sporting goods. Cost was $3600 We flew PDX To WRG.>>>>>>>>> Northbound is still expensive.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by aaron10
Ok guys so I`m leaving Alaska after 50 years figured how to ship most of my stuff. Question how to get my primers, powder and reloaded ammo to Idaho. I will ship all my empty unprimed brass and boxes of bullets. But how to do the rest even if its just to seattle and I can pick it up and drive it over. Aaron

Wow, why would you Be leaving the land of plentiful game & outdoors. Lol I’m thinking about moving there one day. Alaska has always been a dream of mine

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The reason all compass point north is because Alaska sucks.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wishing you safe travels. One small favor, please talk as many as possible into moving out of Alaska. It is getting crowded up here and my dividend would go up and less people on the Kenai during the red run.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

That is funny coming from Butthole WA...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yep. Load up belongings in a conex and ship to WA state or take it yourself via ferry that is not stopping in Canada. It would be difficult to replace with new stock currently and who knows when or future vost availibility

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The reason all compass point north is because Alaska is the greatland .

You are correct!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Wishing you safe travels. One small favor, please talk as many as possible into moving out of Alaska. It is getting crowded up here and my dividend would go up and less people on the Kenai during the red run.

most of the time first winter and snow in june is helping a lot to run back south ... i noticed that here too ...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Apparently you haven't been there.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I sure was.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Aren't you the idiot that posted about rifle stocks splintering in cold weather?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It’s not for everyone, that much is sure. Those that love it here, really love it. (See my sig line)

Since it wasn’t agreeable with you, good you were not a sourdough -
Sour on Alaska and not having the dough to leave.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You need to reread what I said.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by saskfox
Aren't you the idiot that posted about rifle stocks splintering in cold weather?

Your reading skills are a true indicator of your idiocy.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I made my first trip to Alaska Dec. 20 1980. I was driving a 1978 Frieghtliner cabover. I was scared chitless. I got to my destination Wasilla. They had had a Christmas party the night before . The people were amazing. I did that run off and on until 2002
. I absolutely loved it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bumping this to see how things have changed with vaccines and reg changes etc, as I'll likely be doing this next year. My current plan is to load a truck with reloading components/ firearms/ other outdoor gear that would benefit from being hand delivered and drive to Seattle, then ferry from there to Anchorage. Any glaring discrepancies with that plan? Powder and primers good to go that way?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter

Your screwed on your dividend unless you vote out most of the legislature. I was extremely a pro buy out when we lived there. Everyone thought i was nuts, then came walker. How many thousands has each resident lost?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"You can also have loaded ammo in your baggage with certain limits on weight and packaging." quote:

50 lbs per checked bag. Factory or similar packaging (such as those plastic (3M? ) cartridge boxes.

You don't need all those clothes anyway..... smile

Last edited by las; 06/23/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sell the ammo here. You will make more than replacement fee.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I sure was.

100% FACT ..... True story

...[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,832 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,488
Posts18,452,058
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.