Print Thread
Hop To
#15983048 04/11/21
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
What do you guys like for a lightweight rain jacket, doesn't have to be a hunting brand..I have the HH impertech and works well, just looking for something for more active use.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been using a Red Ledge jacket for over 10 years. To be honest, I've never used it in a downpour so I don't know how well it works for that but for light rain it's been very good. It doesn't breath so condensation can be a problem when I'm active. It stuffs to about the size of a softball.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've been using the old reliable, Marmot Precip. I really like the pants because they're full side-zip. Not only to put on over boots but also lets you ventilate when needed.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use an Arcteryx parka for a decade. It was expensive but it actually works the way that Gortex is supposed to work. I can remember once when I needed to continue hiking uphill in the rain. I was sweating a lot and expected my shirt to be soaked from the inside. When I got to camp, the rain had stopped. I removed the parka and my shirt was dry.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Helly Hanson Loke in blaze orange

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grundens Weather Watch.

Yup.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently bought an Apollo stretch rain jacket from Outdoor Research. Works very well, especially for the price. The color I have is not listed on their website now though.

Pit zips are a must have for me as without them I sweat way too much. Some stretch in the fabric is something I've grown fond of, but could do without with the correct fit. This checked both those boxes and I got it for under $90

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Frogg Toggs light weight here. I've only really used them 2 weekends but they seem to be holding up. I have a set of HH but they are too heavy for backpacking IMO

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I also have found the Marmot Precip jackets a great value. For truly serious applications I would invest in a Quality 3 layer goretex jacket. Pit zips are a must for me too.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So far the best waterproof breathable jacket I’ve used is Columbia OutDry. I’ve had a few Gortex jackets and eVent jacket and pants. Even with replenishing the DWR treatment, everything has soaked through on me except the Columbia OutDry. The worst I’ve had is moisture build up under my pack shoulder straps. The really nice thing is the membrane is on the outside of the fabric so there’s no outer layer to soak up water and no need for a DWR coating.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I also have found the Marmot Precip jackets a great value. For truly serious applications I would invest in a Quality 3 layer goretex jacket. Pit zips are a must for me too.

mike r

Yup.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Marmot precip is a decent jacket, but I've never hunted in it.

I have an old browning goretex pullover that is very light weight and keeps me as dry as could be expected. I bought it 15+ years ago and would buy 2 more if they made them anymore. I know, that wasn't real helpful.

Have a buddy with the kuiu Yukon jacket. Really nice, but more heavyweight (would not tear easily). He really likes it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
2 weeks ago i purchased a real nice light weight green rain jacket from Walmart for $50.00 .i wear plenty with all the rain and snow we have been getting lately, its a great rain jacket

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

I have a quality goretex jacket with pit zips but I find myself packing the Precip, or my Westcomb jacket because they're both lighter and less bulky.

I guess I just don't take it seriously enough.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a 10X Rain Suit back in 80's that still as good today as it was the day I bought it. It is Goretex and lightweight. I used it hunting in heavy rain in Louisiana and Colorado and I stayed dry. It breathes well, so you wont sweat walking around. The ones I have do not have pit zips which is the only draw back that I have with them. The Jacket weighs under a pound and the pants weight right at a pound. They are lined for extra protection. Worth a look.

V
V
I tried all the hunting brands before switching to Outdoor Research. I use the Foray the majority of the time. I've gone away from most hunting brands for any clothing. OR offers a great military/LEO/ first responder discount as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 19 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.