Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Listened to Orwell’s 1984 recently and am now listening to Whittaker Chambers’ Witness and have found much wisdom applicable to our times in them.

Chambers’ impassioned defense of truth and willingness to call communism just what it is has been extremely refreshing in our time of doublethink and newspeak.

Anyone enjoyed these or others?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never read 1984, but it's on my short list. I have an old paperback copy of Animal Farm that I've read a couple of times. Orwell had an interesting view on things. FWIW, there's an interesting YouTube piece on Orwell that I stumbled across and watched recently. It's about an hour long and worth the time.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
About a year ago as the pandemic lockdown was in place, I finally tackled The Gulag Archipelago. Chilling.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
About a year ago as the pandemic lockdown was in place, I finally tackled The Gulag Archipelago. Chilling.

Dang how long did that take you it’s a monster! Well worth the effort tho from what I’ve heard...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Mein Kampf.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Personally I found "Brave New World" far more eye opening than 1984, as it more correctly reflects what I think is the biggest threat to civilization.
Not so much violent oppression, but rather making people comfortable in being obedient, readily consuming bugmen.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by efw

Dang how long did that take you it’s a monster! Well worth the effort tho from what I’ve heard...

Lol, can't remember now, but it was a bit of a slog. I had to break it up with a little lighter material along and along. Honestly, by the time I got through I felt like I had gotten out of prison.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Honestly, by the time I got through I felt like I had gotten out of prison.

Ha!!!

I’ve never read a book that big so I can’t imagine!!

You’d love Witness by Whitaker Chambers. It’s fascinating to hear how his Christian faith informed his renunciation of communism and convinced him to actively testify against the rampant infestation of DC by the communists.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just got through listening to this. IMHO, an amazing volume. His grasp of economics and US history amazing IMHO. It will certainly influence my view of US history in regards to "socio-economic and institutional cycles and their influence on the American History and Culture.

I did not get the sense that he is an ideologue, and other than his comments on Slavery and the genocide of the American Indians.

I'll buy the printed version soon and read it.

Ya!
GWB

The Storm before the Calm, George Friedman

*One of Bloomberg‘s Best Books of the Year*

The master geopolitical forecaster and New York Times bestselling author of The Next 100 Years focuses on the United States, predicting how the 2020s will bring dramatic upheaval and reshaping of American government, foreign policy, economics, and culture.

In his riveting new book, noted forecaster and bestselling author George Friedman turns to the future of the United States. Examining the clear cycles through which the United States has developed, upheaved, matured, and solidified, Friedman breaks down the coming years and decades in thrilling detail.

American history must be viewed in cycles—particularly, an eighty-year “institutional cycle” that has defined us (there are three such examples—the Revolutionary War/founding, the Civil War, and World War II), and a fifty-year “socio-economic cycle” that has seen the formation of the industrial classes, baby boomers, and the middle classes. These two major cycles are both converging on the late 2020s—a time in which many of these foundations will change. The United States will have to endure upheaval and possible conflict, but also, ultimately, increased strength, stability, and power in the world.

Friedman’s analysis is detailed and fascinating, and covers issues such as the size and scope of the federal government, the future of marriage and the social contract, shifts in corporate structures, and new cultural trends that will react to longer life expectancies. This new book is both provocative and entertaining.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/252382/the-storm-before-the-calm-by-george-friedman/

Last edited by geedubya; 04/13/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
“Atlas Shrugged” is a quite chilling read in this day and age.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I like Loius L'Amour and Hank the Cowdog books.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by efw
Listened to Orwell’s 1984 recently and am now listening to Whittaker Chambers’ Witness and have found much wisdom applicable to our times in them.

Chambers’ impassioned defense of truth and willingness to call communism just what it is has been extremely refreshing in our time of doublethink and newspeak.

Anyone enjoyed these or others?

I read Witness years ago. An incredible story. What is astounding to me is even to this day some people believe Alger Hiss was innocent. Prothonotary Warbler! What are the odds???

https://famous-trials.com/algerhiss/657-warbler

Last edited by Tarquin; 04/13/21.

Tarquin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Didn’t realize he wrote Brokeback Mtn.

👎🏿👎🏿

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
The hell you talking about??

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Didn’t realize he wrote Brokeback Mtn.

👎🏿👎🏿

The hell you talking about??

Be carefull. If he invites you to go tent camping it is a trick!

Back to OP's admirable literary thread.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. Read it decades ago but it stuck with me as to how harsh life was in earlier times. The stuff we take for granted is a recent occurance for mankind.

Currently reading a book called Break It Up by Richard Kteitner. A bit of a slog not great but timely, relevant and insightfull about historical and current US disunity and secession. I'll let you know if it was worth it when I finish.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the same lines about individualism as 1984 but a bit more modern is the science fiction book Where late the sweet birds sang

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Boomer454
Personally I found "Brave New World" far more eye opening than 1984, as it more correctly reflects what I think is the biggest threat to civilization.
Not so much violent oppression, but rather making people comfortable in being obedient, readily consuming bugmen.

You need to take a Soma. Remember, A gram is better than a damn.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by efw
Honestly, by the time I got through I felt like I had gotten out of prison.

Ha!!!

I’ve never read a book that big so I can’t imagine!!

You’d love Witness by Whitaker Chambers. It’s fascinating to hear how his Christian faith informed his renunciation of communism and convinced him to actively testify against the rampant infestation of DC by the communists.

I will put it on my to-read list, thanks. I am planning to start reading a book titled The Russian by Hedrick Smith. He is a bit suspect as a former New York Times writer and I think he used to appear on PBS frequently, but The Russians was published in 1976 so I am hoping it is not too far left. It recounts his travels in Russia (USSR) and conversations with its people. I am thinking it might be interesting to see what contemporary life under communist rule was like. Might come in handy....

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Gulag Archipelago is more than history...it is a map of the future. "It can't happen here"...oh yeah? They are purging the US Military right now of soldiers who do not comply with Korrect Think.
Once the military is 'cleansed' and the police are fully compliant..what is to stop re-education centers from being created. Sounds crazy I know, but the historical evidence is overwhelming.
In Russia, and China, families and neighbors informed on each other out of fear...it's just one step beyond, "If you see something, say something". Which we already have.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Gulag Archipelago is more than history...it is a map of the future. "It can't happen here"...oh yeah? They are purging the US Military right now of soldiers who do not comply with Korrect Think.
Once the military is 'cleansed' and the police are fully compliant..what is to stop re-education centers from being created. Sounds crazy I know, but the historical evidence is overwhelming.
In Russia, and China, families and neighbors informed on each other out of fear...it's just one step beyond, "If you see something, say something". Which we already have.

And the next step beyond that has already been taken: red flag laws.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
362 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.