Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Bugger, The lady's original 9.3x62 oberndorf sporting Mauser has a 23.5" barrel and weighs 7 lbs 2 oz. Very thin contoured barrel and stock. This is a 1922 year model rifle..

The CZ carbines in 9.3x62 that I put away thousands of lbs of moose n caribou with, were equally handy at about 7 lbs 4 oz.

8 lbs is unnecessary.

The cz rifles were too clubby in the pistol grip. The bluing was thin as well and rusts too easy. On one rifle, the threaded bolt knob came loose.

I'd go ruger african in 9.3x62. Richer bluing, one piece bolt, nicer sights, simpler trigger and a sleek stock.

My 416 ruger african cut down to 22.5" to get rid of those stoopid barrel threads, weighs 7.6 lbs. They're sleek sons ah bitches. If it was 8lbs, i wouldn't carry it.

Mainah: how are you on detachable mags? Blu_Cs

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
I also have a Ruger Tang safety with a B&C stock that I'd like to re-barrel, but it is a 7mm RM now, I'm not sure how well that would work for a 9.3x62. Would it take more than a new extractor?

Originally Posted by bluefish
None. If one should bother then a Mauser is de riguer. Or, heavens! a M70 CRF. Mausers are widely available. Lipstick on a pig is still just a pig with lipstick. No, the Mauser simply must be the ticket in this case.

Mausers are all right, I suppose. My last build was a 375 Whelen AI and it had a Mauser action. I have a friend that knows more about Mausers than I'll ever know. He was the one who furnished that last Mauser action.

If it was like last time -- By the time I buy some wood, shape, inlet and finish it, buy a barrel, chamber it and blue it, mount a scope, alter the safety, and maybe replace the trigger, I might as well buy one off the rack, so to speak -- because my work is quite ssllooww.

Maybe if I was sure this pandemic would last a few more months...

The boltface is different, so you would need a new bolt for that Ruger. Probably not real cheap or easy to find either..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Although not CRF I really like my Steyr-Mannlicher Professional in 9.3x62mm. It handles beautifully. If you want a lightweight gun get a Brno 22 in 8x57mm and have JES rebore it to 9.3 and be good to go

[Linked Image from ]

Last edited by pacecars; 02/26/21.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Bugger, The lady's original 9.3x62 oberndorf sporting Mauser has a 23.5" barrel and weighs 7 lbs 2 oz. Very thin contoured barrel and stock. This is a 1922 year model rifle..

The CZ carbines in 9.3x62 that I put away thousands of lbs of moose n caribou with, were equally handy at about 7 lbs 4 oz.

8 lbs is unnecessary.

The cz rifles were too clubby in the pistol grip. The bluing was thin as well and rusts too easy. On one rifle, the threaded bolt knob came loose.

I'd go ruger african in 9.3x62. Richer bluing, one piece bolt, nicer sights, simpler trigger and a sleek stock.

My 416 ruger african cut down to 22.5" to get rid of those stoopid barrel threads, weighs 7.6 lbs. They're sleek sons ah bitches. If it was 8lbs, i wouldn't carry it.

Blu, just something to loose. I put a hunter on some caribou two seasons ago. Her Tikka magazine fell out and was lost. I had to back her up twice. She was earlier in her carreer, a game warden and firearms instructor. She did nothing wrong. The plastic clip was problematic in the cold.

Anyhow, most 9.3's have the benefit of 4-5 down and immense power on North American game. Fixed mag is all yah need.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The nicest barrel contour in my opinion is the one on my Husky 146s.

The way life should be.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

8 lbs is unnecessary.

Blu, just something to loose. I put a hunter on some caribou two seasons ago. Her Tikka magazine fell out and was lost. I had to back her up twice. She was earlier in her carreer, a game warden and firearms instructor. She did nothing wrong. The plastic clip was problematic in the cold.

Anyhow, most 9.3's have the benefit of 4-5 down and immense power on North American game. Fixed mag is all yah need.

Got it, thanks.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

8 lbs is unnecessary.

i use only a tikka in 308 and ruger gsr in 308 with plastic mags and they both work but i do not use them when it is cold. i will try next winter when cold be back. it is maybe more the way to make sure the click is heard on tikka mags but as you my 9.3x62 and 375 ruger are not magazine rifles for sure ...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tag

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't follow the price logic in the OP - in some cases you are giving yourself the donor for free and selling it, in other cases you are charging yourself for the donor.

I have had a positive experience with JES. I would go that route happily, but I have no experience with recent ER Shaw barrels. The 7lb weight would be an asset to me, not a detriment. Of course everyone's looking for something different.

As others have mentioned, I would rather have a CRF/open trigger action in a 9.3x62 rather than a 700. But it sounds like you've decided what you want.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had 3, 9.3x62s - all JES Rebores. All 3 shot whatever I fed them within an inch @ 100yds. FIrst was a CZ550 that I reluctantly let go down the road. 2nd was an Interarms/Whitworth, that I was even more reluctant to let go of. Kick myself every time I think of letting it go. The last, and current 9.3x62, is a Rem 700 rebore. Nothing fancy, but the 700 platform gives you a lot of aftermarket options. Mine is bedded to a Rimrock stock, topped with a Swaro PH 2-10 in Leupold QR ring/bases. Added a NECG barrel band sling attachment and filled the sling stud hole in the stock with a flat-head 10/32 screw. Also added a NECG barrel band front sight.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up an overlooked Husqvarna FN commercial 98 in 8X57 for under $300.00 shipped and FFL fee. It's going to JES for the "treatment". It is drilled and tapped with a bent bolt, has a barrel band front sling swivel, rt side safety (not reliable), and came with an interesting off brand Jap scope, a Nikko-Sterling 4X40 P&CH illuminated reticle. The finish is good, as is the stock.

It's my idea of a perfect donor rifle for the Classic 9.3X62. Search Simpson a bit. You might find a good donor with a bad bore you can deal on with them. wink

BTW, this has a pristine bore and is a shooter.

Let JES work his magic, drop in a Timney Sportsman trigger with safety, and you're good to go to Africa.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by luv2safari; 09/05/21.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Agreed, perfect lightweight donor L2S, a rifle a man could carry all day, and where legal with a good soft and solid, any game animal in the world could be put in the salt, dont remember where i read/heard, but the 320gr Woodleigh solid is one of the best penetrators ever loosed on African heavy game.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a perfect "donor" rifle.

Have JES re-bore to 9,3X62 and add a Timney trigger. As with all the Husqvarnas of this vintage and configuration, I'd glass the action, too.

https://simpsonltd.com/husqvarna-m640-z48621/

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Have JES re-bore to 9,3X62 and add a Timney trigger. As with all the Husqvarnas of this vintage and configuration, I'd glass the action, too.

That would indeed make a nice 93x62. In fact, I have a Husqvarna with that stock in 9,3x62.

Liked it so much, I made a 9,3x64 off this one:

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by luv2safari

That would indeed make a nice 93x62. In fact, I have a Husqvarna with that stock in 9,3x62.

Liked it so much, I made a 9,3x64 off this one:

Remember this one that you built on a Brazilian 1908 and Husqvarna parts? A great friend of mine coveted it and now loves the rifle. Nice thing is he would sell it back to me if I cried elephant tears. wink

I later found this 640 Husq in 9,3X62 to salve my wounds. It's not nearly as sweet as the 1908 action rifle, but it shoots great with the Timney Sportsman I installed. It is on a commercial FN 98, though.

I'm glad you mentioned 9,3X64. I might do that to the recently purchased 640 I posted.

Last edited by luv2safari; 09/07/21.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I took this rifle to Africa in 2012 as a 30-06. A few years ago I had JES give it the treatment even though I had previously owned a couple of others. As a 30-06 it did everything I wanted, I just wanted another 9.3 for next time.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
It is built on a Mark X Mauser with a custom stock I did.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have 3 rebores from JES, they all shoot great.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

8 lbs is unnecessary.

do you remember how cold it was? i used my 308 win titka t3x up to -26c with no issues with the mag but i prefer most of the time fixed mag as you.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hi Phil, hope all is well in the Yukon. I will be heading to Dawson to put in on the Yukon this late spring after break up. 118 river miles combined up the Yukon, up the White, to the mouth of the Ladue.

The temps on that hunt were the typical upper 20s at night, 30-40s in the day.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like the mag clip in my Tikka T3. Never a problem. In fact I prefer a clip mag to a fixed one. When you have to unload you merely put the clip with ammo in a jacket pocket, and reverse procedure when you need to reload. That works great for a tree stand. Then, also a second clip already loaded in a pocket can come in real handy if you need to reload in a hurry.

My current bear load is the 286 Partition at 2600 fps, or if I want to simulate a 35 Whelen, it's the 250 AB at 2600. As one poster mentioned: the 320 Woodleigh PP at +2400 is good enough for most anything, including Cape buff, within a couple hundred metres. RL-17 is my propellant of choice for any projectile of 250gr to 320. None of those loads are max in my rifle.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,019
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.