Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike, I was MACV/SOG. With a Mike callsign!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Roger, I'm friends with Darryl Whitcomb who not only was a technical adviser to Bat 21 but was one of the lead FACS flying in that days-long rescue effort. One who survived it, obviously. Several FACs, fighter jocks, and numerous helo crews did not. Darryl just shakes his head at how the movie turned out - as do any other actual FACs.

I've said before that Vietnam was not one war; it was half a million wars as seen through the eyes of everyone who went there. There was opportunity for terror even by the 70% or so of people who went to Vietnam and never saw combat first-hand. Rocket and mortar attacks could kill you at any moment; a cute little girl could drop a grenade into your jeep on a routine trip into town; the smiling barber could slit your throat on a whim. Many could and did die of a bug bite.

It was a literally [bleep] war, but it was the only one we had at the time. It changed me forever. In my mission, I was the last molecule on the tip of the spear and flew every day 100 miles into enemy territory - alone - with a $10,000 in gold bounty on my head. I quit counting after half a million rounds fired at me. I often carried so much adrenaline that I'd puke the minute I got out of my plane. That was MY Vietnam, and it was easy in comparison to some others'.

my uncle fought on hamburger hill. he served two tours over there went back for the combat pay, was a gunner on a helicopter, was shot down twice. he died three months before my mom 7 yrs ago. he claimed it was agent orange that gave him cancer.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
He was most probably right, Rog. Not really worth that extra $2 a day, was it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any thoughts about the book The 13th Valley?

It was fiction based on supposed real events. I read it three times in my 20s and 30s, and a lot of other books on the subject. I always like this one the best and thought it might make a good movie.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I made the trip. Twice. FMJ wasn't particularly good but for one thing. I painted a very good picture of many of who got to die there.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Tropic Thunder.

Definitely Tropic Thunder.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great flick, Mackay.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We Were Soldiers

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My experience with a different conflict was that "war" is roughly 99% boredom and 1% absolute insaneness, once you're over the initial excitement/stress of being in country or outside the wire to begin with.

That doesn't make for good TV or entertainment for the masses.
Jarhead had its faults, but it did portray how killing machines are forced to kill time instead.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
probably the best and most accurate "movie" I saw was actually an interview with a fighter pilot and his Public Information Officer.

Probably more accurate than most:

What the Captain Means is...

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Another vote for Full Metal Jacket.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
84 Charlie MOPIC.

For a (low budget) movie, it is pretty good.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Green Beret --- the Duke was in it. smile

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Having held both those jobs in the Air Force, I laugh my coddangle off every time I see it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Mike, I was MACV/SOG. With a Mike callsign!

You hung out w/ some real warriors, welcome home. I am anticipating a great party in Valhalla.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Served in Bco 3/187th and Bco 1/506th in my time.
Between 13 to 20 may the 3 yrs I was in 3/187th here at Ftcky.
The whole Battalion would do a 6 mile run on the desiginated thursday in that time line and take the friday as a DONSA tied in with the weekend.
Then we would have a Battalion formation at the theater at 9 am.
CSM would do a roll call of the KIA from the Battle....
Each name called 3 times.
Silence.....

And then we would watch Hamburger Hill.

Hamburger Hill is the one I think is best.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
You cant do the war with one. You need a few.

The Quiet American for the French Involvement

Green Berets, campy propoganda but good for the Advisory Stage

We Were Soldiers for America taking over the war

Full Metal Jacket for Tet

Platoon. Compare the Army of 1965 (We Were Soldiers) to the post Tet Army (even if Platoon was supposed to take place in 67)

When Heaven and Earth changed Places

Hamburger Hill for the last major search and destroy mission

The Killing Fields for the aftermath

There are others....

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another movie I thought was interesting was Go Tell The Spartans, with Burt Lancaster. About the early days when some of our soldiers were advisors (not S.F.), before everything blew up in Vietnam.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
So I've taken it upon myself to learn more about Vietnam and what our guys went through there. Not much into the movies, but I have watched all the above - even did a term paper back in the day on 84Charlie MoPic, which is the MOS for the film guys. My choice is to watch the Vietnam History project which is a narrative from Vets who were there. I've watched the personal stories of at least 200 Vietnam Vets of every MOS imaginable plus some female nurses. They go from enlistment/draft notice all the way to discharge and what happened after their service. Truly awe inspiring.

Some things that are prevalent through out: When they first land in DaNang the smell and humidity hitting them square in the face coming off the plane or first time seeing the buses with chicken wire over the windows or the look in the eyes of the guys in faded, red clay stained uniforms who were departing on the Freedom Bird. All of their stories are very personal and individual. Not all were in combat, but it seemed all were under constant threat of a rocket (120?) attack or the randomness of it. And the fact that they really didn't go over as a group or even a squad, but as individuals - and left in the same manner. There are a number of these different narratives on different platforms out there, you-tube, podcasts, etc. I highly encourage those who want to know more to listen to these guys. They will forever have my respect.

Watch this one. 100% American Bad Ass. RIP Frenchman. "Just another day in SOG".

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Gardens of stone , is nam from stateside , good flic imo...cause I'm in it !

No sh*t, that's my brother's favorite, he was there. He was infantry, saw some pretty heavy fighting, went into Cambodia. He didn't like platoon or the other popular ones, didnt think they were realistic. Not that they weren't good flics, he just didn't think it could be portrayed accurately in a Hollywood film.

I don't know if the phrase originated in that movie, but it sure popularized "opinions are like a**holes..."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.