Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What are the chances of driving across Canada to Tok and points beyond? Will Canada allow a tourist through? What if you are going to inspect property in Alaska that you wish to buy??

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not a chance right now, some talk in the near future, probably just essential travel in the near future. Tough on everyone.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Canadian Borders are difficult at this time......very difficult!

Even if you own land in Alaska but not a resident, no entry!

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Proof of employment or resident to travel to Alaska. Take a slime line job online, document it, drive up..............maybe show up to work?

Last edited by UpTop; 04/13/21.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is the year I planned to do it. Now It may never open back up. It's their country.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
i ve seen americans driving on the alcan everyday from the south and from the north. you re not supposed to go dowtown. and some idiots will report you if not throwing you stones.

the best way to go to alaska from the lower 48 today is flight for you and barge from seatlle if fixed.

good luck.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm quite surprised by the amount of American vehicles I see on the roads here.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saskfox
I'm quite surprised by the amount of American vehicles I see on the roads here.

Well, what does it take for me to traverse Canada? Anyone know? It doesn't seem that you can pick up a phone and call a border crossing. Does anybody have a phone number for a Montana or ND crossing station.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back in the '70s I hunted deer and black bear from Chesaw and frequently crossed the border "by mistake" and now it looks like all those roads have disappeared??? and the creeks must pop out of the ground as artesians right at the medicine line??? Will wonders never cease?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UpTop
Proof of employment or resident to travel to Alaska. Take a slime line job online, document it, drive up..............maybe show up to work?

Prolly the best advice

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
We had a girl in the office move back to San Diego in mid-February so she could take care of her parents. My boss had to get her proof of new employment outside of Alaska. Her and her husband got the required Covid tests to enter, only to be stopped and turned around at the border so they had to spend 3 more days in Tok and get another Covid test. When they finally were allowed in, she said RCMP were very rude and threatened to arrest them entering and exiting Canada . They had 3 days to get completely through, which they did make, but she said it was still hell. Also you can only stay at certain hotels and they are expensive she said. She said all in all it was a horrible experience and left a really bitter taste in her mouth of Canada.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Regionalize people. Separate them. Keep them from traveling and interacting. Keep them in fear and under control.

I know "tinfoil hat".

But I sure do love this forum compared to another OUTDOORS one which will remain nameless... on which the major topic of conversation is COVID, masks, vaccines, social distancing, etc.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was sure looking forward to the drive across Canada as a once in a lifetime experience. Flying up to Alaska and renting a vehicle wouldn't be the same. Have done that 3 times. I have an idea that most Canadians don't approve of shutting the border. At least non urban Canadians.

Last edited by Hastings; 04/14/21. Reason: added last sentence

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hastings, maybe (real maybe) non urban Canadians but I don't think the majority of Canadians would want the border open, yet.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Coming into Canada s a tourist right now aint happening, but I see folks going to Alaska every day. Getting across the border into Alaska right now is no problem if you are an American. According to the US customs I talked to there are no restrictions going into Alaska right now if you are an American. A buddy of mine has made several trips to Alaska this winter to visit his kids who live there. He is a dual citizen. Only problem he has had is getting back to Canada. He's under quarantine right now

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We were planning on driving to Alaska last year and it didn't work out, looks like it isn't going to work out this year either. We've decided to do an early fall trip to Yellowstone and Glacier.

Life is good live it while you can.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Hastings
I was sure looking forward to the drive across Canada as a once in a lifetime experience. Flying up to Alaska and renting a vehicle wouldn't be the same. Have done that 3 times. I have an idea that most Canadians don't approve of shutting the border. At least non urban Canadians.

Well, I'm a non-urban Canadian... And my personal feelings are that if health "authorities" are making it as difficult as they can for me to go see family in the Southern half of the province, I sure as hell don't want to see someone drive across the entire province on a sight seeing trip with the excuse of "because I wanna".
That said, if you do go by all means I hope you have the best trip possible. Just bear in mind that the provincial government is constantly telling people they can't leave their home health regions, stay home, don't visit family, etc. Lots of people are not going to be thrilled seeing someone drive through regardless of the why of it when they are being threatened with fines for travelling a few hours away from home.

And I have to say, as someone who lives close to the ALCAN, that won't be the trip you are hoping to have right now. There is the very real possibility it will be a less than pleasant trip. I talked to a guy (American) a year ago March for about 40 minutes at the gas station about the new pickup he'd bought in California and was driving back up to Anchorage. He was saying that some places he stopped it was less than a warm reception. I was surprised to see the plates and he was fair pleasant to talk to, but I would think that the reception now along the way would be less than pleasant in a lot of fuel stops.

I do know that there ARE problems occasionally crossing provincial boundaries between BC and Alberta (lots of locals go to Grand Prairie Costco, doctors, etc) and there have been lots of nasty notes left on vehicles and the occasional slashed tire due to out of province licence plates. And even for provincial residents there are travel restrictions to other parts of the province (ferry accessible places mostly though) where if you don't have a local address you will be turned back and denied entry to the community.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Just put the trip off for a year or so and save your money. With the fuel price increases that are occuring daily you will not a lot more money for fuel in a year or so.

The Alcan trip is nice but not under present circumstances.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr

Well, I'm a non-urban Canadian... And my personal feelings are that if health "authorities" are making it as difficult as they can for me to go see family in the Southern half of the province, I sure as hell don't want to see someone drive across the entire province on a sight seeing trip with the excuse of "because I wanna".
That said, if you do go by all means I hope you have the best trip possible. Just bear in mind that the provincial government is constantly telling people they can't leave their home health regions, stay home, don't visit family, etc. Lots of people are not going to be thrilled seeing someone drive through regardless of the why of it when they are being threatened with fines for travelling a few hours away from home.

And I have to say, as someone who lives close to the ALCAN, that won't be the trip you are hoping to have right now. There is the very real possibility it will be a less than pleasant trip. I talked to a guy (American) a year ago March for about 40 minutes at the gas station about the new pickup he'd bought in California and was driving back up to Anchorage. He was saying that some places he stopped it was less than a warm reception. I was surprised to see the plates and he was fair pleasant to talk to, but I would think that the reception now along the way would be less than pleasant in a lot of fuel stops.

I do know that there ARE problems occasionally crossing provincial boundaries between BC and Alberta (lots of locals go to Grand Prairie Costco, doctors, etc) and there have been lots of nasty notes left on vehicles and the occasional slashed tire due to out of province licence plates. And even for provincial residents there are travel restrictions to other parts of the province (ferry accessible places mostly though) where if you don't have a local address you will be turned back and denied entry to the community.

We get what we accept. A lot of Canadians need to get out from under their bed and realize that the sky isnt falling. The beaches in Florida are full. Friends in eastern Montana are living a normal life, and have been for months. Family in MO. traveled halfway across the country to a lake they have been going to for decades. As we speak they are having the time of their life, catching lots of fish, having fish fries with friends, and just living. Guess what ? Those people are not dying in the streets. The virus has a survival rate that mirrors the flu. It isnt ebola. If you are 70 or under, and relatively healthy, you have nothing to fear. If you are older, or have health problems protect yourself. Stay home if you must, but stop trying to grind the world to a halt because you're scared.

Meanwhile while our southern neighbours are getting back to normal we are living in what is quickly turning into a communist country. The vast majority of Canadians believe everything CBC tells them. They leave nasty messages on any vehicle they see that isnt local. More than one US soldier traveling to AK has had their cars vandalized by locals along the way. I guess they dont realize how important tourism is to the north, because the Americans who have traveled the Alcan during this [bleep] show will probably never come back.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by yukon254

We get what we accept. A lot of Canadians need to get out from under their bed and realize that the sky isnt falling. The beaches in Florida are full. Friends in eastern Montana are living a normal life, and have been for months. Family in MO. traveled halfway across the country to a lake they have been going to for decades. As we speak they are having the time of their life, catching lots of fish, having fish fries with friends, and just living. Guess what ? Those people are not dying in the streets. The virus has a survival rate that mirrors the flu. It isnt ebola. If you are 70 or under, and relatively healthy, you have nothing to fear. If you are older, or have health problems protect yourself. Stay home if you must, but stop trying to grind the world to a halt because you're scared.

Meanwhile while our southern neighbours are getting back to normal we are living in what is quickly turning into a communist country. The vast majority of Canadians believe everything CBC tells them. They leave nasty messages on any vehicle they see that isnt local. More than one US soldier traveling to AK has had their cars vandalized by locals along the way. I guess they dont realize how important tourism is to the north, because the Americans who have traveled the Alcan during this [bleep] show will probably never come back.

Easy now. Careful about making assumptions about people. I am not scared of anything, much less a cold that pretty near everyone survives. The only aspect of MY life that has changed is that I have to wear a mask to go in the grocery store. Nothing else has changed for me. And I'm fairly certain I haven't listened to the CBC in over a decade, nor watched the news, any news, in well over 10 months. My own take on it is if it was anywhere near as dangerous as the government and media made it out to be there would be street sweepers out at night sweeping all the dead homeless people out of the gutters, because if ever there was a group of people that should have been decimated, it is hobo's.
I do suppose though, that the first sentence in my post could be misread, so my error there. My point was that if provincial/regional health authorities are making it difficult for me to travel as per my whim, then someone crossing from another country is going to run into stress from multiple angles. And yes, if someone can cross an international border into the country and travel, damn straight I am going to be irritated about it when if I did the same thing going the same direction I would be held against my will in a "covid hotel" for 2 weeks by the government.

My MAIN point though, was that he is REAL likely to encounter animosity along the way when provincial residents are being threatened by the government for travel, so an out of country plate will absolutely attract attention. Now is not going to be a pleasant time to take a sight seeing trip in another country, purely from the standpoint that it won't be relaxing if every time you stop somewhere you have to wonder if there will be a rock through your windshield or your tires slashed. Like it or not, people are going stir crazy and acting out.

Last edited by KodiakHntr; 04/14/21.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,128
Posts18,464,641
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.