Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/897092531

Anyone following this? No super grade on floor plate, but stock looks correct including composite butt. Would be a special order given sn ... possible sleeper or too many red flags?

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

The stock certainly looks right. Late gun, pre64 production was winding down (only 21,000 more M70’s were produced). Maybe the factory was out of SG plates or just using up leftover stocks. All indications were that things were different towards the end.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Something to always be mindful of when looking at a supergrade rifle is DOM. The supergrades were discontinued in 1959. The rifle in question was built in 1962. I saw that in the first second of looking at the pics.. Beyond that, I stopped looking at it. Im surprised pocono didn't see that.. How many more "red flags" are you looking for. I can take another 3 second look at it, if you want..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
That was the “special order given sn” part BSA. Rule had a documented SG in that same serial range.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I can fix him up with a Super Grade floor plate!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
That was the “special order given sn” part BSA. Rule had a documented SG in that same serial range.

Ask for some pics of the underside of the barreled action. Also it doesn't have a jeweled bolt, extractor, and follower. You notice how he doesn't show a good pic of the front sight. It should have a gold bead. It should be stamped with a backwards S on the bottom of the recoil lug and also "Super" on the underside of the barrel. As always, some of you guys can pretend its original, while i have my serious doubts. One of the reasons bobin said he didnt even deal with the supergrade model. Way too much counterfeiting going on. My smith always warned me. Saying, "if he could counterfeit one, anyone could". Buyer beware. Also a little documentation goes a long way.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I'd trust Roger. Some guy on the internet without documentation. Not hardly.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Also, a real supergrade 270 fwt would have sold for more than that: $2,000.00. Just sayin.. wink

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just have to add this. I have only seen a handful of Supergrade Fwts, real or fake, but I am not kidding, everyone was a 270!!! My opinion on this one is FAKE. period.

ETA: There was no shortage of Supergrade floorplates in 1962. There was a shortage of steel Supergrade floorplates, but plenty of aluminum ones as they made Africans until the last day, and many of them had aluminum floorplates.

Last edited by sbrmike; 04/12/21.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'd trust Roger. Some guy on the internet without documentation. Not hardly.

Seller wasn’t advertising it as a super grade; but I agree.

Interesting info on the floor plates sbr. Thanks.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I ran that gun up past 2000 yesterday. I'd noticed it a few days back and consulted Rule before getting into the bidding. His pictured SG's, along with the commentary about them on pages 232 and 233 were alot of comfort. Seller was unsophisticated, didn't mention or represent the gun as an SG. Who but Winchester late in the game would put out an SG without the floor plate being marked? That doesn't make any sense unless its factory, to me. Anyway, at 2000 I wasn't willing to go further on those pictures. Whoever bought it got a nice rifle.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I ran that gun up past 2000 yesterday. I'd noticed it a few days back and consulted Rule before getting into the bidding. His pictured SG's, along with the commentary about them on pages 232 and 233 were alot of comfort. Seller was unsophisticated, didn't mention or represent the gun as an SG. Who but Winchester late in the game would put out an SG without the floor plate being marked? That doesn't make any sense unless its factory, to me. Anyway, at 2000 I wasn't willing to go further on those pictures. Whoever bought it got a nice rifle.

The seller knew it wasnt a real supergrade.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Naaah, I think he is just unsophsticated. Estate sale.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

What’s a genuine SG Fwt stock worth?

Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep. If you look at his other items, that is apparent.

Originally Posted by Poconojack
What’s a genuine SG Fwt stock worth?
What I was wondering too. North of a grand I would think.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I think faking the floor plate would be the easiest part. Why, if you were faking it, would you leave that out? You wouldn't. Go to all that trouble and leave that out? Nahhh.

I hope it pops back up someplace, the buyer appeared quite active on GB, so there's a chance of seeing it again.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
My thoughts were similar to yours BK.
Seller didn’t get back to me about an allowance for AK buyer (stated no AK sales in description) otherwise I would have thrown my hat in as well. That appeared to be a very clean gun.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You realize they discontinued the supergrades in 1959, don't you? There's no provenance to that rifle, so you are left with an unknown. The reason it only sold for $2,000.00. The barreled action of a clean 270 fwt is worth $1,000.00, the stock is worth $1,000.00. The rifle was just a regular ol 1962 270 fwt placed into a supergrade stock. There is nothing on the actual barreled action that points to it being a supergrade. I've already listed things for you guys to look for, but you want to act clueless..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
That's funny, Rule at page 233 shows a super grade with a 559XXX which is after the rifle in question. 1962 by my book. Maybe you don't know all you think you know...further, I said I quit bidding because of the lack of proof. The rifle was worth what it sold for, given the unknowns. No one over paid for it, certainly not me. You might want to back off a notch here. No one in this thread is clueless.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Yep, 249 guns between the gun under discussion and the last regular SG on pg. 233 in Rule.

The vast majority of M70’s are without provenance.

Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,520
Posts18,452,713
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.