Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A lot of corn is going in the ground right now as we're having some good planting weather. These pics are of the neighbor that rents my cropland. He ripped the ground last fall after soybean harvest, and then put anhydrous down, ran a harrow over it, and no tills the corn.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Interesting James, The soil looks red? I was told at Iowa State the redder the soil is the more organic matter it has.

Corn planting is a good two weeks away here in Iowa, except for for the high steppers.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Richard, some our soil here is red clay based. This particular field is some of my most productive ground. I mostly posted this because I know you like those tractors........lol. My neighbor started out with JD tractors, but over the years has switched his big tractors and combine to red ones.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
James, what population does he plant the corn?

Jake likes 33,000, or so.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
James, what population does he plant the corn?

Jake likes 33,000, or so.

Not sure, but I'll ask him sometimes. The trend is towards the higher populations, especially on good producing ground. I remember when I was farming, 20,000 was considered high, but that was in wide rows.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
James and wagigoon what do you consider average yields in your areas. Corn has been tried here ,didn't work out because of our short season. Some guys still plant it and turn their cattle out on it in winter.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Fox, today, anything under 200 bushels is a short crop.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
With good weather, corn here will make 200 bushels plus on the good ground, and I'm guessing an average of 180-190 across the board. It just depends on the weather.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My relatives in Iowa say around 200 bushels average. Planting here is around May 5 average. Durum, lentils, canola are the main crops.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Canola has been tried here several times, but it has just never caught on. The wheat here is soft red winter, and is planted in the fall, harvested in June, and soybeans are no-tilled into the wheat stubble. It was hoped that canola could be substituted for wheat, giving farmers another option. I love to see it growing, as it's a pretty crop in the field.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Canola is the mainstay of the northern grain belt. A lot of guys are wheat,barely, oats/ canola every second year. Soybeans have been tried here but didn't work out. In my area a lot of guys are canola,durum, lentils 1/3 of each year after year.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is that a stabilized nitrogen fertilizer? And is it the only nitrogen fertilizer applied for the corn?

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Boomer, as far as I know, anhydrous by itself is not stabilized, but a stabilizer can be added to it. My understanding is that a stabilizer is needed if it is applied in the fall or winter months, rather than just prior to planting. Anhydrous is the most widely used form of nitrogen here for corn, with liquid nitrogen being the next most. Dry fertilizer in the form of urea can also be used, but it's more expensive and subject to loss if not incorporated into the soil, either by water or by working it in.

I do not raise crops like corn anymore, so I'm probably not a very good person to ask. We spread dry fertilizer on hay and pasture land, and it contains nitrogen, but I do not believe any of it is stabilized.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thank you, James. I think those techniques are a pretty interesting alternative to regular spreading like we and most other farmers over here still use.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Boomer, when I was farming, I used dry fertilizer on my corn. That was about 25 years ago. I would put starter fertilizer in the row, spread some more, and then after the corn was up, and maybe 6 inches tall, I would put urea on. I'd try and time it, and put it on right before a rain in order for it to go into the ground.

There's also a lot of chicken litter used here as fertilizer, and the local Amish and Mennonite dairy farms spread liquid manure on their crop fields. The smell is awful, but I guess they don't mind.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Boomer454
Thank you, James. I think those techniques are a pretty interesting alternative to regular spreading like we and most other farmers over here still use.

Planting here is one pass. Separate seed and fertilizer openers. Seed directly into last years stubble with about 10% soil disturbance. Most people heavy harrow wheat and canola stubble in the fall. Always interesting to hear the farming practices of different areas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finished the anhydrous about a week ago and I plan to start planting corn next Wednesday. There's some corn in the ground already but I'm in no hurry, still early.

Seems like every couple years I bump up my population, last year I was at 33k, I'm thinking I might plant part of it at 34k this year. I have some ground that'll make 225 bu, and some hill ground that 175 is about all I can coax out of it. If I can average 200 bu farm wide I'm a happy guy.

Richard lives up there where the good ground is.

Black Cows Matter!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W

Richard lives up there where the good ground is. [/quote]
laugh

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jake sets the planter at 33,000 ;plus.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Richard lives up there where the good ground is.

I've heard that you can throw a grain of corn out on the ground anywhere in Iowa, and it'll make a bin full.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.