Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I am miles south of there right now. We fly over that area when we crew change. Lift boats are dangerous. Have a guy on my crew that worked wireline off one for several years. He said when they jacked up on location. His captain made them wear lifejackets and sit on top of the wheelhouse in case they one leg punched through.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Lift boat?
Is that like a spuding barge?
From what is shown in the photo it looks like a spud and a foot below the hull.

Thank God for the coasties!

Hope they find the other ten.

Lift Boat sometimes called a spud barge typically with 3 spuds, shallow water type vessel, self motorized

Thx
Can't imagine taking one of those out of near-shore coastal waters..

Unstable is right.

Is that the storm system crossing Mississippi/Alabama now?

Same storm system.

The Captains/Barge Masters are very skillful at what they do. Some things happen way beyond their control like this micro-blast that caught them before he could drop his legs down enough to lower the center of gravity.

This blast caught the Coast Guard off their watch also as it happened too fast to get the warnings out on channel 16 in time for responses.

Very sad for the lost and their families.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Hope things turn out good - dangerous stuff out there .
Oftentimes companies put money above safety , a lot better these days than it was back in the 80's when I worked out there .

I was in a helicopter crash [PHI] petroleum helicopter inc. Dec. 28th 1985 in the roughest weather I'd ever seen in the Gulf . 15' seas . Whiplash/broke nose/loose teeth hit my face on my knee - really hard .

You are a very lucky Man.

Went down right by the rig I worked on , they had laid the crane boom down for copter landing , several coworkers saw it happen . There was a field boat in the area - got to us in 35-40ish minutes .I dragged life raft out pulled the pin [co2 tank] it inflated real nice like then deflated about as fast , stop valve malfunction . Pondered how I got sand in my mouth way out there - it many small chips of my teeth .

Lost at sea would be a horrible way to go

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Ptl for your rescue and survival.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike70560
A large lift boat capsized in high seas today south of Fourchon/Grand Isle area.

Seven of seventeen crew members have been rescued. I saw a video and the seas are pretty bad. Coast Guard and other vessels are on site.

Not a good situation.

If I were in their position, I'd want us praying.
Anyone who wants to, please join me in prayer for those needing rescue.

Dear Father,

There may be more men unaccounted for and treading water at this time. Please protect them through the night and keep them alive until the Coast Guard and rescue boats find them. May you show mercy with weather. Please direct mens eyes thereon to those in the sea. Help them to find and be Your hands of rescue. They need safety as well Lord.
Please send believers to them upon the shore wherever they may live, to bring Your good news that they would never die.....if they put their confidence in that of your only begotten Son.
In Whose Name we pray,

Amen

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The Coast Guard ended its search and rescue today at sunset and will shift their focus. I am guessing they will be involved in recovery efforts.

19 crew members were on board the commercial boat when it capsized during severe weather on Tuesday. Six have been rescued, five have been confirmed dead, and eight remain missing as of Sunday, April 18.

One of the survivors was in the wheelhouse when it went over. The captain is one of the confirmed deaths. The captain was 63 years old and worked on the water his entire life.

Divers have been searching the vessel. I have not read how much of the vessel has been cleared.

The families are holding out hope but it is not looking good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That sucks. Hope they are all found in time.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Very sad.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 46 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,505
Posts18,452,557
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.