Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Plains game hunt in africa with my mom and dad. My mom went with my dad and me on our second trip. She wanted to shoot but wasn’t comfortable with either of our rifles. So I built her a short stocked 7-08 with a21” barrel. She shot zebra, kudu, gemsbok and impala and chuckled and laughed each time. You can’t put a price tag on memories like that.

GB1

N
NWT Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
N
Mixed bag horseback hunts in the Yukon and B.C.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8 Moose hunts. all made meat. best times .

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Although I didn't start hunting until I was in college in the mid '60s, I have had a pretty fantastic hunting life. My first deer was a spike muley buck that I shot in NW Colorado with one of my college roommates. I proudly hung those spike antlers on my college bedroom wall. The next year I again hunting with my roommate and shot my first elk. Back then many hunters left the head and antlers in the woods, but I again proudly hung those 5x5 elk antlers on my wall.

Ten years later I moved to Montana and my hunting opportunities really opened up. Shooting a deer, elk, and antelope every year was almost a given. I had two horses, and packing one or more tent camps into the backcountry every year provided many great hunting memories.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

From the late '70s into the '90s I was able to draw a bighorn ram tag and multiple bull moose and mountain goat tags, and I was able to buy an unlimited unit sheep tag almost every year. All of those hunts were DIY and most were solo including 3 of my rams, my goat, and one of my Shiras moose.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Then in 1999 I went on my first guided hunt for a Dall ram and a Mountain caribou in the Mackenzie Mountains of Canada's NW Territories. This was a backpack hunt and while my guide and I were packing out my ram I was able to get a Wolverine. A very memorable hunt.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [img]https://i.imgur.com/iYV4nUQm.jpg[/img]

To be continued....

Last edited by buffybr; 04/11/21.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My fantastic journey continued...
Into the 21st century I made my first of 6 hunts in Africa. With so many different animals to hunt, I decided early to hunt different animals on each trip. For the most part I stuck to that decision and I made hunts to South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique. Along with many of the more common plains game animals, I was also able to hunt..

Another year my girlfriend and I went to New Zealand where we hunted a week out of Gary Herbert's 5-star lodge. then rented a car and spent another two weeks driving on the wrong side of the road to see and visit much of the beautiful south island.

I shot my first caribou in 1980 when some friends and I did a DIY drop camp in Alaska, and as I posted earlier, I shot my second caribou species with that mountain caribou in the Mackenzie Mountains. For many years I had thought of doing a Musk ox hunt but I really didn't want to do it in sub zero weather. Then in 2004 I found a fall hunt that could be combined with Canadian Barren Ground Caribou. A fantastic week at Bekere Lake out of Inuvik, NWT provided me with both a caribou and a Musk ox that made the Boone and Crockett all time record book.

Also for many years I had wanted to hunt caribou in Quebec, so in 2017 I booked a hunt there with Leif River Outfitters. My good luck continued as the first day of my hunt I shot this great bull that not only made the B&C record book but gave me an invite to the 30th B&C Awards ceremony and 6 pages in their Awards Book.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/BKG7PJRm.jpg[/img]

So I have almost 50 years of great hunting trips and experiences. In 1988 I built a 1,000 sq ft Trophy Room addition to my house. I never thought it would happen, but it is now filled with over 70 of my mounts. Every day I enjoy seeing those mounts and remembering each of their hunts. They are all great memories, but I can't really say which one was the best.

Last edited by buffybr; 04/11/21.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Aoudad.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Black Bear boat hunt in Alaska with my son...Easy and beautiful..

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I completed my Grand Slam with a Rocky Mountain Bighorn here in my home state of Arizona! The other came from Nevada, British Colombia and the North West Territory’s. All were fine hunts but to complete my quest here, not more than about 250 miles from home (and a 178 B&C ram) is something I will never forget.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Dall sheep hands down
Then horseback elk hunts
DIY caribou hunts
Then moose

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by buffybr
Although I didn't start hunting until I was in college in the mid '60s, I have had a pretty fantastic hunting life. My first deer was a spike muley buck that I shot in NW Colorado with one of my college roommates. I proudly hung those spike antlers on my college bedroom wall. The next year I again hunting with my roommate and shot my first elk. Back then many hunters left the head and antlers in the woods, but I again proudly hung those 5x5 elk antlers on my wall.

Ten years later I moved to Montana and my hunting opportunities really opened up. Shooting a deer, elk, and antelope every year was almost a given. I had two horses, and packing one or more tent camps into the backcountry every year provided many great hunting memories.

From the late '70s into the '90s I was able to draw a bighorn ram tag and multiple bull moose and mountain goat tags, and I was able to buy an unlimited unit sheep tag almost every year. All of those hunts were DIY and most were solo including 3 of my rams, my goat, and one of my Shiras moose.

Then in 1999 I went on my first guided hunt for a Dall ram and a Mountain caribou in the Mackenzie Mountains of Canada's NW Territories. This was a backpack hunt and while my guide and I were packing out my ram I was able to get a Wolverine. A very memorable hunt.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [img]https://i.imgur.com/iYV4nUQm.jpg[/img]

To be continued....

I bet that goat was the hardest earned...

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If I am telling the truth here, my first deer hunt and my two javelina hunts since my divorce. The deer especially. I took a week off of work, no bitching about being gone, no bitching about losing money from my paycheck. It truly was wonderful. The javelina hunts were fun to. Wake up, go hunt. simple and easy.

Outside of that my first elk hunt where I killed a bull, as did my dad and grandpa. That would turn out to be the last bull either one of them killed.

My brothers first elk hunt where I helped him kill a giant cow elk. (I also got engaged shortly after he killed that elk, so that part sucked.)

I have taken out of state hunters our for coues deer over the years, some of those hunts have been outstanding as well!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
My favorite so far is a do it yourself Caribou hunt with a friend in Alaska

Same for me.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I like the challenge. I have been fortunate on Antelope 3 years in a row with bow and arrow, turkey 3 years in a row with bow and arrow, Whitetail deer seem very easy. Got a nice 4x4 last year with my homemade muzzle loader. Killed several mule deer one was 9x8 point. a real dandy. possibly thinking about wolves just takes the right place to be in.
Martin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2010 Yukon fly-in moose hunt with oldest daughter. Didn't see a moose, but this B&C Mtn Caribou more than made up for that. We had the trip of a life time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1995 I went for Dall sheep and caribou in the NWT with Gana River. Best trip ever.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Probably should be an African Safari I took with my late wife when our kids were young.

But really it’s a a caribou hunt off the Steese Highway near Davidson Ditch NE of Fairbanks. The second day of hunting she turned to me and said “I’m pregnant with our second child.”

I don’t remember if we shot many ‘bou that weekend. I remember using the ATV trailer as the flat spot to pitch our tent on. I recall it was cold, autumn cold, not freezing cold.

I was in the attic today and saw the backpack and boots and the binos I’d bought for the trip. Seems like just yesterday.

Lori’s gone on to be with the Lord a long while back. I don’t know if there is hunting in heaven, but I hope so, and I hope she’s found a good spot.

That child is now our son and a Soldier, a medic stationed in South Korea, closing in fast on his 30th birthday.

But I can remember the day and the smells and the land and thinking we’d live forever.....

Can’t remember the last time I posted here but this right here is what it’s all about. Damn. Thanks for sharing this!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by SuperCub
2010 Yukon fly-in moose hunt with oldest daughter. Didn't see a moose, but this B&C Mtn Caribou more than made up for that. We had the trip of a life time.

That is a stud caribou! Yeah that would make my trip too

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,901
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.